QVC and the Royal Mail

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

letbuyerbeware

Registered Shopper
Post came at 1225 Saturday. I got home 1250. Card left by postie as there was a packet to sign for which can be collected from delivery office. Leave 2 hours from time on card. Office closes midday on saturday. What a load of crap!! Dont blame QVC but the post office need to get their act together!!!

I always have to wait two days before I can collect anything from the Royal Mail delivery office. I have tried to collect the parcel after just one day only to be told that the parcel "isn't here yet" :58:

Post came at 1225 Saturday. I got home 1250. Card left by postie as there was a packet to sign for which can be collected from delivery office. Leave 2 hours from time on card. Office closes midday on saturday. What a load of crap!! Dont blame QVC but the post office need to get their act together!!!

How is that the Royal Mail's fault?! As far as I know all Royal Mail postal depots close at lunchtime on a Saturday.

I think what the card means is that you need to leave at least 2 hours before going to collect it. That's going to be a standard message on the card whatever day it's delivered. And round here it's "leave at least 24 hours".

What have you ordered? QVC parcels don't normally need signing for. :confused:

Maybe it was a large item that couldn't be hidden....or sometimes if someone has had things go missing before, QVC specify that it has to be signed for.

It's possible to call the depot and ask them to redeliver on another date if it's difficult to get to the sorting office. :)

I have found that if you order jewellery over £100 it needs signing for.

Yes it is a pain that the RM have that on a card since it is Saturday and they close at mid-day but I think it is just a standard message on their cards.
I usually ask for them to re-deliver it for me.

Happened to me last week not a qvc parcel I had stayed in all day as there was a man coming to measure up for new gates and railings then went out at half past 2 got in to find a card saying the postie had been at 10 to 3 had to wait till the next day. Wasnt my normal post man who knows where to hide things. I couldnt even ring them to rearrange delivery as the office had already closed so had to go down the next day

Like Lily K I have to wait at least 48 hours. My real gripe though is when they quietly leave cards in my post box claiming that I'm not in when I've not left the house all day just so they don't have to carry my parcel. It's particularly frustrating considering it adds two days onto when I get my packages... (I should say I'm fairly sure it's only one postie doing this as my usual ones are lovely, very friendly & don't complain about how many heavy parcels I add to their route!)

How is that the Royal Mail's fault?! As far as I know all Royal Mail postal depots close at lunchtime on a Saturday.

I think what the card means is that you need to leave at least 2 hours before going to collect it. That's going to be a standard message on the card whatever day it's delivered. And round here it's "leave at least 24 hours".

Irrespective of whatever time the depot closes on a saturday as the service standard is for delivery up to 1400 then they should stay open to 1600.
Never mind the use of a standard "card left" which is used Monday to Saturday
and when the offices are open till 1730 for collection of items the Royal Mail
is supposed to be a public service so if they want to deliver up to 1400 they
should stay open until 1600.

Irrespective of whatever time the depot closes on a saturday as the service standard is for delivery up to 1400 then they should stay open to 1600.
Never mind the use of a standard "card left" which is used Monday to Saturday
and when the offices are open till 1730 for collection of items the Royal Mail
is supposed to be a public service so if they want to deliver up to 1400 they
should stay open until 1600.

The staff at my delivery office wouldn't want to have to be there till 1600, they close at 1230 everyday, in fact it used to be 1200 Mon-Fri, only changed to 1230 in last couple of years.

Yes the service is for DELIVERY up to about 1400, but it's hardly their fault if you're out and miss the parcel. They've done their bit!

I work all day, always miss parcels and am frequently having to trudge up to the depot to collect them (and have to wait 24 hours to do so) but wouldn't expect the staff to work extra hours at weekends for my convenience. I'm aware they close about 12.30ish on a Saturday and if I can't make that, then it has to wait til Monday. It's the weekend!

When I miss a delivery on a Saturday, I just go to the depot at 12:30. Never had a problem, as most of the vans have returned by then.

The Post Office don't have a problem getting the parcel from the van at this time for me.

Yes the service is for DELIVERY up to about 1400, but it's hardly their fault if you're out and miss the parcel. They've done their bit!

I work all day, always miss parcels and am frequently having to trudge up to the depot to collect them (and have to wait 24 hours to do so) but wouldn't expect the staff to work extra hours at weekends for my convenience. I'm aware they close about 12.30ish on a Saturday and if I can't make that, then it has to wait til Monday. It's the weekend!

It's Royal Mail management that are to blame, not the posties. Their working practices and mail delivery services have been cut back and changed so much over the recent past. Posties do a great job for really carp pay. If they end up part-privatising the Post Office you'll probably end up having to collect your packages direct from QVC!!

I once had an instance when I had to go to the depot to collect a parcel. In the end I personally visited the office for three days in a row and the parcel was still not back there. they told me that if the postie could not be delivered it was returned to the nearest post office who then sent it back to the main sorting office (in a town 20 miles away). later in the third day I had a call at work to say my parcel had turned up. I asked if it could be dropped off at my place of work (10 minute slow walk from depot) and was no told that they could not. I had to ask someone else to call to collect it form me. This is the worst service I have ever had from a delivery service and since they have a monoply on mail delivery (apart from parcel post) I think they should seriously pull their socks up cos at the moment I would not be opposed in the slightest to selling the post delivery service on to anyone else. I know the posties do a good job (I know a few my self) but its the management who are letting down those at the bottom of the pecking order.

Linda

I get really frustated with Royal Mail for the many reasons already stated.

I do not blame the individual members of staff, but I do put ownus on prodecures which make the servise rubbish.

It is not uncommon for me to have a red card for the door, or for my package to take days to return back to the depot (which is fairly local).

The helpful guy at the depot suggests the postman may have put the package back in the post, when is of no comfort to me when I'm on my third visit for collection.

If we are out when the postie tries to deliver. she leaves a card so I can arrange for it to be re-delivered 2 days later by either re-booking via the internet or telephoning or we can turn up at the post office delivery place to collect the parcel.

Looks like each area does its own thing

I once had an instance when I had to go to the depot to collect a parcel. In the end I personally visited the office for three days in a row and the parcel was still not back there. they told me that if the postie could not be delivered it was returned to the nearest post office who then sent it back to the main sorting office (in a town 20 miles away). later in the third day I had a call at work to say my parcel had turned up. I asked if it could be dropped off at my place of work (10 minute slow walk from depot) and was no told that they could not. I had to ask someone else to call to collect it form me. This is the worst service I have ever had from a delivery service and since they have a monoply on mail delivery (apart from parcel post) I think they should seriously pull their socks up cos at the moment I would not be opposed in the slightest to selling the post delivery service on to anyone else. I know the posties do a good job (I know a few my self) but its the management who are letting down those at the bottom of the pecking order.

Linda

Royal Mail don't actually have a monopoly on mail delivery. Part of the postal service was opened up to competition some time ago (TNT for example). The competitors are only interested in the profit making sections of the service. If RM were to be sold off then everyone would end up paying more to send mail as the Universal Service Obligation (one price goes anywhere)which RM operate would be abolished. Lots of people who live in rural areas probably wouldn't have a delivery service at all and would have to pick their mail up from a service point, or would have to pay extra to get it delivered.

One other point, posties are timed as to how long its supposed to take them to do their rounds and there is no margin for delays.

The similar thing happened to me on Thursday. The Post Office delivered a parcel at 1.30 pm and it said to leave 6 hours before collecting the parcel. No problem there, except that would make it 7.30 pm and the depot shuts at 5.30pm. :33:

I obviously couldn't collect it on Good Friday, because they were shut, and I've been away until now, so I'm collecting it on Tuesday. It's either Evie from Charlie Bears (cue the "here we go again" theme music, following the Slothy Bear versus The Post Office fiasco) or it's my GTech sweeper.

I don't mind waiting as it's my fault that I wasn't psychic and didn't 'see' the delivery on its way. But ............ my son was actually in at the time they tried to deliver it. I wonder if QVC sell flashing signs that say "Hang on please while we get to the door before you drive off!!" ?

Royal Mail don't actually have a monopoly on mail delivery. Part of the postal service was opened up to competition some time ago (TNT for example). The competitors are only interested in the profit making sections of the service. If RM were to be sold off then everyone would end up paying more to send mail as the Universal Service Obligation (one price goes anywhere)which RM operate would be abolished. Lots of people who live in rural areas probably wouldn't have a delivery service at all and would have to pick their mail up from a service point, or would have to pay extra to get it delivered.

One other point, posties are timed as to how long its supposed to take them to do their rounds and there is no margin for delays.

I work in an NHS trust and we recently went over to TNT for delivering all mail because it was cheaper but if the envelope isnt addressed the way they prescribe the letter can take days to get to the patient. The Trust had to run special sessions for all staff on how to address an envelope the TNT way!!!
The mail is still delivered to the patient by royal mail but is sorted by TNT if you think about the millions of letters and parcels delivered across the country everyday then RM dont do so bad at least you dont have to address an envelope in a special way when they are sorting it.:1:
It is a pain when you have to go to the depot to pick something up and I usually end up there very early on a saturday morning because I am in work the rest of the time I for one would not be happy if RM was sold off and we ended up having to collect things more often

Like Lily K I have to wait at least 48 hours. My real gripe though is when they quietly leave cards in my post box claiming that I'm not in when I've not left the house all day just so they don't have to carry my parcel. It's particularly frustrating considering it adds two days onto when I get my packages... (I should say I'm fairly sure it's only one postie doing this as my usual ones are lovely, very friendly & don't complain about how many heavy parcels I add to their route!)

I get this all the time with my non-usual postie (who I see less and less these days anyway). I've been in the kitchen window THREE TIMES recently when they've just tried to leave a card! They don't even bother knocking.

Latest posts

Back