Qvc cost of living winners and losers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Please do NOT mention this to QVC! They will smell the potential and be trying to sell off all the unsold food items with “Even if you thought you weren’t keen on horseradish and honey pies or banana and anchovy popcorn, if you’re a lady past a certain age, you might find you can’t get enough of either, so it’s worth trying these while they’re on 12 Easy Pays …”.
😂🤦🏻‍♀️what I have done !! 😱

I used to give debt advice and often managed to get debts written off.

But it did strike me that many of these people had got into debt by buying things that were far more luxurious than I could afford myself eg huge TVs and other luxury goods. Then they effectively got them for free when their debts were written off.

Knowing the debt system, I was very tempted to join them and buy lots of items for myself and never pay for them (but I didn't).
If someone has debts written off, doesn't it affect their credit rating & therefore make things harder?
I never understand how people can be bankrupt & have massive houses & horses etc, then have a new business shortly afterwards? How do they borrow afterbankrupt & creditors unpaid?

You don't NEED one and no, you can't hide it. It takes up a lot of room on the worktop and you'll end up spending half your life cleaning it (yes Mr CC, I'm saying you never do it). As it cooks faster than an oven I would say it costs less as it isn't on as long. It's too high up to attract dog hair, however saying that, Bryan's hair gets everywhere and there are often white hair garnishes on the food. I just pick them off, our house probably scores less than zero with dog hair hygiene 😬 .

CC
So It will b covered in Obies white hairs then. Money saved?

I’m looking at a couple of smaller devices. Lakeland do a small multi-cooker, at just shy of £60. I’m also considering the Instant Pot Vortex mini 4-in-1 air fryer for a similar price. I will have to bite the bullet and do a side by side comparison and make a decision!
Report back pls?

Got our Ninja foodi 9 in 1 at the end of July and it's now stopped working.
Amazon website wasn't much help as it was over 30 days since delivery. We phoned Ninja who said we would need to get back to Amazon and gave us a code.
Phoned Amazon customer service and we can't use the code as they don't have any in stock. Told us to take it to the post office but told them no too bulky to carry and you can't park near.
She then said she would arrange for a parcel pickup from home by RM. It is 48 hours tracked,has to be with them by Monday (12th) and no one has turned up to collect it. This means we have to wait in tomorrow and they are on strike Thursday and Friday so no idea what will happen.
Why Amazon can't pick up parcels when they deliver them is a mystery.
Update on my original post.
Managed to speak to the postman this morning and he contacted the office who said there was no delivery booked. They were told to refuse to take it,fair enough.
Hubby then rang Amazon on an 0800 number and got through quite quickly to a very nice Indian man. He was very helpful,kept apologising for all the problems and arranged for another pick up on Saturday. The previous customer service lady had done something wrong. He said he had got on RM site and entered details for a pick up and said he would check up Sunday to ensure the parcel had been picked up.
The first person he spoke to didn't have a very good grasp of English and he had to keep repeating.

Something I heard this morning on the news. Prescription poverty. People halving their meds because they cannot afford to pay for their month prescriptions. Now of course there are the pre-paid forms, but they are not cheap to buy if you are trying to keep up with heating and food costs.

Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland all get their prescriptions free, only England you have to pay for them. I used to read on forums people ranting about how did Scotland, Wales and N.I get free prescriptions? It was explained because the devolved government decided they wanted to.
And the Barnett formula, I expect, comes into play...

Re the Ninja Foodie, it is really too big for two people to be honest but you can cook double and freeze half for another day which saves as you can defrost and reheat chilli etc in the microwave.

Re prescriptions, we don't pay now in Scotland but it was costing me a lot of money before. I had a season ticket but it was still a chunk of money every month. I think if your meds are essential for long term conditions to keep you well and alive they should be free. If they are things like antibiotics and aspirin (yes, you can get those on prescription) then you should have to pay IMO.

CC

Q will no doubt be as relieved as the rest of us at some respite from the eye-watering energy price rises.
I still think we should all be trying to find ways to reduce our bills as it's still a hefty increase since last winter.
Maybe Q can promote low energy lighting solutions and expand on the solar powered gadgets they sell?

Q will no doubt be as relieved as the rest of us at some respite from the eye-watering energy price rises.
I still think we should all be trying to find ways to reduce our bills as it's still a hefty increase since last winter.
Maybe Q can promote low energy lighting solutions and expand on the solar powered gadgets they sell?
I was thinking about that Cooks Essentials multi-cooker that was a TSV earlier this year. I was very tempted but decided I don’t have enough kitchen surface space. Would something like that be particularly economical, do people think/know? If so, I might have another look at the idea and get rid of the coffee machine I hardly ever use now. Also the toaster which is knackered and I use the gas grill anyway.

I've never costed our alternative cookers - I've had various halogen ovens which we used every day and they lasted between 8 months and 2 years before conking out, I've had a mini oven which actually still works but went to the lock up when we got the ninja. All heated up instantly unlike our big oven (cooker) and all cooked faster. All cooked everything the big oven could.

Now that electric costs are a big thing and we're going home in a couple of weeks I will compare cooking something in the big oven to cooking something in the Ninja. I'll read the meter before and after to see how many units are used. I'll test a chicken or something and report back.

I don't know if Sazza is interested in setting up a money saving separate thread where we could all post our tips? Or is there one already that I haven't seen?

CC

I was going to cook a ready meal in my Foodi air fryer.

It is in a foil carton but it won't fit in, so I have had to spend 15 minutes heating up my main oven to 200 deg just to cook it for 25 minutes.

At least I am on a fixed price deal for another month, so I will have to eat the other 2 I bought before it runs out.

Latest posts

Back