QVC is not alone....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The dress I got in the closing down sale is similar to this one but knee length not maxi and in black chiffon. It`s never dated and still looks as good as new even though I`ve had it about 6 years now and paid about £40 for it when the shop was closing down. Quality shops are thin on the ground now, so many have gone and another shop I loved was Planet which has also gone.
Oh gosh I like that in the maxi - especially the green.... But then I saw the price! 😳

Your dress sounds lovely and so useful and classic - and a bargain!

My mum and God Mum - they’re shopping demons when they get together! - found a boutique closing down near us a couple of years back and came back laden!

Oh yes, Planet!
In the 90’s I remember mum had some great pieces from there which I think she still has. They were good quality - particularly remember a fab long-line trouser suit she had from Planet.
She always said it got her two top jobs!

[Not sure what it’s like these days, but Coast always used to be a go-to for friends bridesmaid and occasion wear? Possibly a bit young??]
Our nearby Debenhams (now closed down) used to have a Coast section in it and Mr V`s daughter bought the outfit she wore to our wedding 10 years ago from there. I always found a lot of their stuff was either too short or too young for me but granted they did some lovely dresses. They still have a website though.
My youngest son`s partner is itching for them to get married and she loves a site called Needle and Thread. They do what I`d call fairytale styles, reminds me of Midsummer Night`s Dream and she says if/when my son finally proposes then that`s where she`s going to buy her dress. She`s in her mid 30`s and married her first husband when she was just 21 and it turned out to be an abusive marriage so it didn`t last long. She had the big white church wedding back then but now says she wants to get married in a field lol under a floral gazebo and the wedding party in a barn. With our Uk weather then she may have to settle for wellies and a joules mac !

Donna I agree about trouser lengths. Not all of us want trouser hems hanging over our feet. I'm 5'7 and even 29" is too long for me. Even crops can vary in length. I'm happy with ankle grazers which are plentiful in sizes up to a size 18/20, but anything larger and manufacturers think you have legs like a giraffe. Same with my old moan of arm lengths - the larger the size the longer the arm length.
I'm the opposite ... 5ft10ins with long arms and legs ...sizen14 or 16. So called long sleeves often end above my wrist and it's hell finding trousers long enough. 29ins leg would be too short for me. I'm saying this for all the Long Tall Sally's who might be reading this.

I’m reduced to buying crop or ankle grazers just to get them short enough!

why with even the so called slim or skinny jeans the bottom of the legs on bigger sizes are like tents? You look on the rail, they look lovely, search for your size only to find they bear no resemblance to the size 12 at the front of the rail. Very disheartening.

Tea dresses look ok on the likes of Holly W but not for my shape. Marks is drowning in them, all the same, different brands, and all relatively new stock now in their sale. They will never sell them all this side of 2025.

I need long length trousers and recently went to a Marks store to try them on and buy some and there wasn`t one single pair in their long leg length. I asked the sales assistant about them and she said they very rarely stocked the long length because the standard and short lengths sold better. Luckily they still sell the long on their website and I have an M and S food store nearby so can order and collect or return without much hassle.
Our local Marks closed down so the actual bricks and mortar store I visited was a good 45 minutes drive away. I now know not to bother going for trousers or jeans.

LATI glad I'm not the only one who thinks the hemline on trousers never corresponds with the description on larger sizes. I like a narrow ankle grazing length, so hunt around for cigarette pants or slim/skinny jeans. Laughable ! If I find my size, like you said, the hems can be as wide as a battleship. Its so dispiriting.

Now I`m retired I live in jeans or trousers. I like linen trousers for the warmer months and also cropped trousers. I rarely have cause to wear a dress and in recent times because of covid I`ve had even less need to wear dresses or skirts.
I`m due to have surgery sometime this Summer, I was hoping to have it earlier in the year but they`re still trying to catch up on all the surgeries which haven`t happened because of the pandemic. Anyway for a while afterwards I won`t be able to wear trousers for reasons I won`t go into so I decided to look for cheap-ish lightweight Summer dresses which would be comfortable, not tight fitting and long enough for my height.
I took a punt and ordered one from Matalan, its 100% viscose, made in Turkey and I had a 20% discount code so it cost me less than £15 and I must say its fits the bill perfectly and at that price if I only use it whilst I`m recuperating then I won`t be losing a fortune. It actually looks really nice on so I`ve ordered another one in a similar style. They`ll be easily washed and will dry quickly.
This is the one I got.

Now I`m retired I live in jeans or trousers. I like linen trousers for the warmer months and also cropped trousers. I rarely have cause to wear a dress and in recent times because of covid I`ve had even less need to wear dresses or skirts.
I`m due to have surgery sometime this Summer, I was hoping to have it earlier in the year but they`re still trying to catch up on all the surgeries which haven`t happened because of the pandemic. Anyway for a while afterwards I won`t be able to wear trousers for reasons I won`t go into so I decided to look for cheap-ish lightweight Summer dresses which would be comfortable, not tight fitting and long enough for my height.
I took a punt and ordered one from Matalan, its 100% viscose, made in Turkey and I had a 20% discount code so it cost me less than £15 and I must say its fits the bill perfectly and at that price if I only use it whilst I`m recuperating then I won`t be losing a fortune. It actually looks really nice on so I`ve ordered another one in a similar style. They`ll be easily washed and will dry quickly.
This is the one I got.
Really sorry about your upcoming surgery - hope it happens sooner rather than later and you have a quick recovery time...

Have to say the dress is lovely!
Very me and so pretty! 😊

I'm the opposite ... 5ft10ins with long arms and legs ...sizen14 or 16. So called long sleeves often end above my wrist and it's hell finding trousers long enough. 29ins leg would be too short for me. I'm saying this for all the Long Tall Sally's who might be reading this.
See my post #19 above!!

And 29” would be proper crop on me! I look for 33” where possible - or even 34” if they fit me neatly!

I need long length trousers and recently went to a Marks store to try them on and buy some and there wasn`t one single pair in their long leg length. I asked the sales assistant about them and she said they very rarely stocked the long length because the standard and short lengths sold better. Luckily they still sell the long on their website and I have an M and S food store nearby so can order and collect or return without much hassle.
Our local Marks closed down so the actual bricks and mortar store I visited was a good 45 minutes drive away. I now know not to bother going for trousers or jeans.
I agree! And feel your pain! X

Our nearby Debenhams (now closed down) used to have a Coast section in it and Mr V`s daughter bought the outfit she wore to our wedding 10 years ago from there. I always found a lot of their stuff was either too short or too young for me but granted they did some lovely dresses. They still have a website though.
My youngest son`s partner is itching for them to get married and she loves a site called Needle and Thread. They do what I`d call fairytale styles, reminds me of Midsummer Night`s Dream and she says if/when my son finally proposes then that`s where she`s going to buy her dress. She`s in her mid 30`s and married her first husband when she was just 21 and it turned out to be an abusive marriage so it didn`t last long. She had the big white church wedding back then but now says she wants to get married in a field lol under a floral gazebo and the wedding party in a barn. With our Uk weather then she may have to settle for wellies and a joules mac !
This made me smile. And reminisce...!

Sorry about your DIL’s first marriage and here’s hoping your son proposes at some point (if he wants to marry!)

When I was younger, I had this dream of a flowery English summer wedding - all in some hidden glen with daisy chains and floating about!
Then afternoon tea on chintzy china (this was before shabby chic came and everyone did this - not sure if it’s still popular?!)

All very light and dreamy and pretty!
I didn’t think about any practicalities - or minor details such as groom! 😂
(And forgot about the need for a church - I was Christian!)

I just looked up Needle and Thread....

Wow the prices are steep!
(Though I did just find a lovely cable knit jumper I like in pale cream - down from £350 or something to £75?!)

Some of the dresses are really pretty and I love the details, but some are a lot OTT for me - and a profusion of polyester “chiffon”. They remind a bit of adult versions of little girls “party dresses”?

For the right setting, though, they could be perfect!

Hope she gets the happy wedding she dreams of!
(I never did - yet..?! 😉😢)

Hubby and I walked into Monsoon last week, we both stopped in our tracks at the awful clothing on display. Hubby said in a very loud voice, 'did we travel here in a time machine and travel back to the 1970s?', staff were not amused.

I'm looking for a dress, I'm going somewhere very grand, I really am struggling to find anything, I like my clothes to last and not be a one season item. If any of you have any ideas where I can look I would be very grateful.

I have never bought clothes from QVC in all the years I have been shopping with them. They do absolutely nothing for me.
Boden? I bought a simple but beautifully cut dress from them for a posh event last year and truly, at 5'2, knocking on a bit and a size 16 I was in despair of finding anything that wasn't frilly, frumpy, puff sleeved and poorly cut. I had the lovely experience of people complimenting me on my dress and asking where I got it. I've just bought another one from them for a wedding.
They do have quite a bit of 'out there' stuff but there's some more grown up stuff in amongst it. I used to like Phase Eight but they seem to have fallen into the sausage skin and over decorated trap, Seasalt has got frumpy and White Stuff has really dropped in quality, so I'm clinging to Boden!

I’m another shorty shanks, 5’1” size 14. I used to like Minuet but have nowhere nearby now that stocks it, if it even exists now.
But shops are so disappointing now. I have things in my wardrobe from years ago that are so much better in style & quality than anything I’ve seen recently so rarely buy anything now. I’ve bought one beautiful sheepskin duffle coat this winter & dug out my sewing machine for anything else.

Boden? I bought a simple but beautifully cut dress from them for a posh event last year and truly, at 5'2, knocking on a bit and a size 16 I was in despair of finding anything that wasn't frilly, frumpy, puff sleeved and poorly cut. I had the lovely experience of people complimenting me on my dress and asking where I got it. I've just bought another one from them for a wedding.
They do have quite a bit of 'out there' stuff but there's some more grown up stuff in amongst it. I used to like Phase Eight but they seem to have fallen into the sausage skin and over decorated trap, Seasalt has got frumpy and White Stuff has really dropped in quality, so I'm clinging to Boden!
I haven't bought anything from Boden for a few years, I'll have a look, thanks for the reminder 🙂

Hubby and I walked into Monsoon last week, we both stopped in our tracks at the awful clothing on display. Hubby said in a very loud voice, 'did we travel here in a time machine and travel back to the 1970s?', staff were not amused.

I'm looking for a dress, I'm going somewhere very grand, I really am struggling to find anything, I like my clothes to last and not be a one season item. If any of you have any ideas where I can look I would be very grateful.

I have never bought clothes from QVC in all the years I have been shopping with them. They do absolutely nothing for me.
Try and have a look at Peter Hahn, online or free brochures. They have a big selection of all clothing from their own brand or from Europe, Italy & Germany etc. Most of it is pricey but good quality and perfect for somewhere Special, all returns are free and there is always an offer on. I have ordered Gabor footwear from them for my big feet for about four years and they are a reliable company based in Devon.

Now retired my wardrobe has become so casual that is all I need but if I was looking for something a bit more dressy/ special I would be in a mild panic.I trawl the internet a lot as walking round shops is not my thing but I recently went with a friend and there was absolutely nothing that I could say I ‘liked’.There we’re some OK things in M&S but when they get on a theme they hound it to death.We are back to tiers and flounces ( maybe it should be tears!) and ditsy florals big time.Oversized seems to be taken to a new level but I like that as can go down a size!
Agree Linwood I look at Peter Hahn as years ago I wore many German brands but have never ordered, if I was paying higher prices I would try different sizes to be sure of getting the right fit.

I tend to wear a plain midi/long dress with a wafty kaftan jacket (NOT Marla Wynne) but something like a One Hundred Stars kaftan and a couple of long necklaces, if its a special 'do'.

Try and have a look at Peter Hahn, online or free brochures. They have a big selection of all clothing from their own brand or from Europe, Italy & Germany etc. Most of it is pricey but good quality and perfect for somewhere Special, all returns are free and there is always an offer on. I have ordered Gabor footwear from them for my big feet for about four years and they are a reliable company based in Devon.
Oh this is a new brand to me, thanks I'll check them out 😊

I like Boden too. Although the arms on most of their dresses this season are far too flouncy/prairie style for me. I am hoping them go back to boring arms soon. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO:

This is the one I got.
Good luck with your surgery

I used to adore Laura Ashley and I am ashamed to say, I still love that floral, chintzy style. But I need more classic, well cut and simple items now I am 54 and not a size 8 anymore. Marla Wynne just doesn't grab me at all. It has the Carters tent look on me. Yes, I am larger sized (20) but I still want a bit of shape. Lordy knows, scrubs do nothing for me. My arse looks enormous in them, I don't want that look at home as well. Like Brissles, not a lot grabs me. I like Seasalt but it can get rather samey after a while.
I'm the same...age,size etc but not a fan of florals I look enormous😒 With thinner legs I find more fitted tops give me shape and hide the belly. I must say that Julian McDonald has some nice pieces😍

Latest posts

Back