QVC making a virtue out of necessity!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

kitten_with_claws

Registered Shopper
QVC meat - I'm sick of hearing this 'traced from field to fork' nonsense; yet again on the Green Seasons promo, some daft old bat (hope it's not somebody on here, oops! lol) saying how much she likes the GS stuff as they know exactly where it's come from & how it can be traced back to its point of origin...........yes, that's because it's a legal requirement FFS! Trust me, the meat industry involves more paperwork than an entire weekly agenda in the bl**dy White House!!! Seriously annoys me how QVC keep wittering on about this as though it's some kind of added 'oooooh, impressive!' factor! :headbang:

Perhaps it is to placate the Daily Mail readers who worked themselves up into a frenzy because they believed that ALL supermarkets had introduced halal meat onto their shelves by stealth - a "fact" that had to be strenuously denied after questions were raised in the House of Commons.

Makes me laugh when I read menu descriptions of "milk fed lamb" or "milk fed calves" - what do all young creatures, human or animal, feed on then.......

Last edited:
Erm milk fed usually means the lamb is less than two months old when slaughtered. Baby lambs can be weaned as early as six weeks.

Perhaps it is to placate the Daily Mail readers who worked themselves up into a frenzy because they believed that ALL supermarkets had introduced halal meat onto their shelves by stealth - a "fact" that had to be strenuously denied after questions were raised in the House of Commons.

Makes me laugh when I read menu descriptions of "milk fed lamb" or "milk fed calves" - what do all young creatures, human or animal, feed on then.......

Exactly there mammals , perhaps they feel we need to be wrapped in cotton wool & dont like us to think they live on farms & there slaughtered , I always feel when phrases like '' milk fed'' is used it creates a cozy warm fuzzy arrrrrr type feeling , pretty much like a chocolate box kitten

I do like realistic & I buy from the village butcher who is always very obliging , the beef I buy is also stock from the village farm , It does annoy me when they use these silly phrases though .

Erm milk fed usually means the lamb is less than two months old when slaughtered. Baby lambs can be weaned as early as six weeks.

Point taken Tinkerbelle but don't you think that a lot of restaurants just use the term euphemistically?

Well we all know meat is a lamb/calf/bunny/ chicken etc and then someone kills it and we eat it. That's it. No dressing it up changes that. If we don't like that we don't eat meat and if it offends then we don't watch. QVC will use anything as a sales pitch and I guess we all know that as well. Then we make a choice and buy or don't.

CG

I buy organic beef from Asda Organics range. It keeps me fit and strong! I would never buy value / cheap brand meat. It's usually rubbish that's been poorly reared, badly nourished and chemically interfered with. I wouldn't buy meat from QVC. That box wouldn't last 5 minutes outside my doorstep in London! As for lamb. I really don't like it. My grandmother used to serve it with "garden peas" roast potatoes and mint sauce and those round pudding / pancake type things. Never was keen on lamb.

Point taken Tinkerbelle but don't you think that a lot of restaurants just use the term euphemistically?

They may well do. I'm not sure if there is anything to stop them calling it milk-fed when it's not what a farmer would call milk-fed. Lambs can remain fed on milk for much longer but I am pretty sure the farmer can't sell it as "milk-fed" lamb. It then becomes "spring lamb".

Julius, I absolutely agree with buying the best quality meat you can. I think it is better to buy better and eat less of it. For our own welfare and for that of the animal but buying from a local butcher who knows the source of the meat he/she sells can be cheaper and every bit as good for you as organic. Buying from a small farm without organic status is a good choice.

Yes Tinkerbelle you are right. I once shared a flat with a filipino guy who bought nothing but Morrisons value chicken / pork eggs. He looked like the horrible grey meat he used to eat! By contrast I look fit and alive! I am amazed at how uncaring some people are about the origins of their food. I go to great trouble to check everything.
Julius, I absolutely agree with buying the best quality meat you can. I think it is better to buy better and eat less of it. For our own welfare and for that of the animal but buying from a local butcher who knows the source of the meat he/she sells can be cheaper and every bit as good for you as organic. Buying from a small farm without organic status is a good choice.

Whether it's healthier or not, there's no way I'd pay £65 for an 11lb turkey that they had on during this afternoon's show. At that price the turkeys must have their own personal servants to see to their every need prior to their meeting their maker.

I know they were raving about the succulence and the taste, but you can still have a juicy and tasty turkey dinner without that financial outlay, in my opinion.

Yes Tinkerbelle you are right. I once shared a flat with a filipino guy who bought nothing but Morrisons value chicken / pork eggs.

Now those I would like to try. :wink: Do they come from the 'pigs that fly?' :wink:

QVC meat - I'm sick of hearing this 'traced from field to fork' nonsense; yet again on the Green Seasons promo, some daft old bat (hope it's not somebody on here, oops! lol) saying how much she likes the GS stuff as they know exactly where it's come from & how it can be traced back to its point of origin...........yes, that's because it's a legal requirement FFS! Trust me, the meat industry involves more paperwork than an entire weekly agenda in the bl**dy White House!!! Seriously annoys me how QVC keep wittering on about this as though it's some kind of added 'oooooh, impressive!' factor! :headbang:

Well put KWC.
Drives me nuts as well. And just when you think you've got it all sussed, along comes another regulation/requirement to comply with.
And I speak from personal experience as someone who has spent many a (un)happy hour trawling through paperwork in order to perform traceability exercises. It's enough to drive a person loopy

Would also like to add, that unless a product is actually labelled as different i.e. Free range/Corn fed/Organic etc... the chances are that the meat/chicken in the "value" pack is from the same farm/grower as the meat/chicken in the higher priced pack, most of the time the only difference is the colour of the tray and label and a few £'s

Last edited:
£65 for a turkey!! Christ. I'd want to know precisely where it came from for that. Hand delivered by the hunky farmer preferably.

That's the price you'd expect to pay for free range or organic goose. In my house the only bird that graces the Christmas table ever.

Years ago, we used to get our meat regularly from a local (multiple award winners for their sausages & black pudding for a start!) butchers, a proper family business that had been going for generations! They used to handpick all their meat on the hoof, often straight from the farm & they were really fussy about what they chose, yet their not exactly cheap as chips meat (worth every penny though!) was still nowhere near QVC prices, even at today's prices! We are too far away to shop with them now & the local butchers are sadly just not of the same calibre but I still live in hope of finding another really good one within reasonable travelling distance!

It sounds nice. I don't know of anywhere to do that, certainly not here in London. It seems kind of "un-British" somehow to buy from a small local place. It was common to do this when I was a child but then I did not grow up in the UK, and in different places things are done differently. The best I can manage is the Asda Organics range which seems to offer good quality at a reasonable price (apart from the sirloin steak which is £35/kilo!).
Years ago, we used to get our meat regularly from a local (multiple award winners for their sausages & black pudding for a start!) butchers, a proper family business that had been going for generations! They used to handpick all their meat on the hoof, often straight from the farm & they were really fussy about what they chose, yet their not exactly cheap as chips meat (worth every penny though!) was still nowhere near QVC prices, even at today's prices! We are too far away to shop with them now & the local butchers are sadly just not of the same calibre but I still live in hope of finding another really good one within reasonable travelling distance!

There are lots of people who simply cannot afford organic or free-range meat and who have to feed families on a tight weekly budget, so I'm afraid that I don't subscribe to the "it had to be organic/free range or I won't eat it" mantra. At the end of the day, kids have to be fed and there is no scientific evidence that says organic/free range is better for you. But what organic/free range meat does of is make you feel a whole load better about what you eat. Its that warm cozy feeling you get from knowing that your supper came from a happy cow, roaming free in some field somewhere, grazing on lush green pastures before it got turned into the sirloin steak you just had for supper.

That said, I do enjoy organic meat because there is a taste difference, especially with steak. It's hung for longer and the meat is less fatty because the animal has been allowed to fatten up naturally, rather than by being intensively fed and reared. The same can be said for organic chicken. But sadly I cannot afford to pay £10+ for an organic chicken at the moment.

On the subject of Green Seasons/Kings Realm etc, QVC are just ripping customers off, passing off their meat as luxury quality with a matching luxury price tag. It's not organic or free range, so must be intensively farmed meat and is probably no different in taste and texture to the supermarket's bog standard meat. It's probably OK, but the con is in the price and QVC are being rather coy about disclosing exactly what the meat's provenance is. Face it, if QVC said it was the same stuff you can find in the chiller section of the meat aisle of your local supermarket, most punters would think the prices were a rip off and wouldn't buy it, would they?

:sad: are they so young:mysmilie_466: :mysmilie_477: I wish I was a vegetarian :mysmilie_476:

I'm afraid so Caretodiffer. I only know this from a farming perspective. Lamb is by definition a young animal but the rules and regs these days mean the meat we eat mainly comes from young animals.

Latest posts

Back