Reply from Tony Diniz

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

G

Graham

Guest Shopper
Dear Graham,
Please find below my response to your email.

Dear Tony,

I am emailing Rocks and Co. one last time in the hope that you will be able to help.

First of all can you clear up the question, Do you sit in your hotel room and buy back items that are for auction on Rocks and Co?

I am not sure what exactly happened here but I have an idea. On one of my trips to the UK while I was in a hotel, some pieces came to auction of Tanzanian ruby and some pieces from the Colours of Life Collection. I called the call centre and purchased a few pieces to give as gifts for my family members in Brazil as I know the quality of the gemstones and the craftsmanship and also the prices were so low that even if I wanted I could not get it again so cheaply. As the name of customers sometimes appears on the Producer’s screen my name came up and that’s when it all started. To be honest, knowing the cost of the gemstones, on occasion, I would like to buy some pieces back as to my knowledge they really are irreplaceable.

When you appear on screen you appear to the viewer to be a guest of Rocks and Co and just supply them with items, you are in fact a director of the company, what is your actual position in the company?

You are correct on both counts. People have different interpretations from what they hear and even what they read. I never said I was just a supplier, there are many, many people who are suppliers to Rocks and Co. and that is the full extent of their business with them, however I have presented myself as the person responsible for the majority of gemstone purchases in the company and that is what my brothers and I do for Rocks and Co. We are responsible for most of the gems from Brazil/Africa and special pieces and as far as being a director is concerned I have recently become a Director in the UK but my role and position in Rocks and Co. is unchanged, I was and remain in charge of Gemstone acquisition and oversee that department within the business. For this reason, when I go on air I really do not know where the prices of the jewellery pieces will go to, that responsibility and control is completely with the producer that is working at that time. On the other hand I am quite confident that few companies in the world have the ability to match us in price and quality in the same items we bring to the UK.

Is Don Kogan in anyway involved in Rocks and Co as anything other than a Expert Guest.

Don is a personal friend and mentor from whom I have learned a lot over the years, but unfortunately he is not part of this company. Don is in demand, I don’t think there’s an English speaking channel globally that sells jewellery who has not asked him to go live for them at one time or another. When he does make an appearance on Rocks and Co. he is my personal guest and for his time I am eternally grateful.

Finally, Why? When the ShoppingTelly.com form is read daily by senior staff at Rocks and Co are customers questions now ignored?

The problem is more extensive than simply answering questions. Gemstone wise, Gavin is the person that is responsible for that and he has always answered questions from our customers that have been sent to him. Despite being as busy as he is he still finds time to call customers and does respond to all of our customers queries that are directed to him. That said I am confident he would love to participate in more gemstone discussions but the discussions have to be constructive and quite honestly in the past, some discussions on Shoppingtelly.com have not been and Gavin has spent wasted time and effort rather than genuinely being a source of information and help for the readers of Shoppingtelly.com.
As with any forum, there are people who are not interested in dialogue but are more interested in trying to present issues for polemic or argumentative discussions and no matter what the response, they just attack with misinformation or a subjective point of view and if that doesn’t work they just attack the person responding. As it is a forum all opinions quite rightly count, however there have been many unconstructive, ridiculous, and even nasty discussions which Rocks and Co. should not get involved in. We have also received complaints from our regular customers that have posted positively about something only to be shot down and accused of being employees of Rocks and Co. Our main priority is to address the real problems of real customers as we continuously try and improve our service and product offering.

As you know from the email I sent on the company’s recent birthday I want to support Rocks and Co as much as I can, however it is getting increasingly difficult to ignore the questions and complaints that are being posted onto the forum.

On the matter of your support it is much appreciated, as for answering questions we would love to if the moderator can make sure that abuse on our staff and non constructive criticism is monitored.

Sincerely,

Tony Diniz
E.T. If you decide to post this reply, please do post it in its entirety.

Thanks for posting up the response Graham, In all honesty i didn't expect to read a reply. Some interesting points in Tony's reply, but i think, as with all companies, they need to be able to accept feedback.both good and bad and hopefully improve on the bad.

I am very surprised Tony replied and i'm sure he thought long and hard about it before he did but fair play to him for doing so after all he could of just ignored it.

Interesting reading. I think Tony Diniz's answers are well balanced and considered.

Many thanks for this Graham.

The reply was interesting reading. Fairly well balanced but I still have a suspicion of smoke and mirrors, maybe I am just too cynical!

Vis a vis the issue of R&C staff criticism, you take the dough you take the woe and they must accept the good and the bad. I do not condone extreme personal slating but constructive criticism seems to be ignored. Perhaps of the comments were taken on board and not ignored, forum members would feel at least they were trying. The presenting manner of some (on all channels) is irritating to say the least, while some are simply a pleasure to watch.

Inge

Dear Graham,

Dear Tony,

I am emailing Rocks and Co. one last time in the hope that you will be able to help.

First of all can you clear up the question, Do you sit in your hotel room and buy back items that are for auction on Rocks and Co?

I am not sure what exactly happened here but I have an idea. On one of my trips to the UK while I was in a hotel, some pieces came to auction of Tanzanian ruby and some pieces from the Colours of Life Collection. I called the call centre and purchased a few pieces to give as gifts for my family members in Brazil as I know the quality of the gemstones and the craftsmanship and also the prices were so low that even if I wanted I could not get it again so cheaply. As the name of customers sometimes appears on the Producer’s screen my name came up and that’s when it all started. To be honest, knowing the cost of the gemstones, on occasion, I would like to buy some pieces back as to my knowledge they really are irreplaceable.

This is not how Stacey told the story. She quite clearly stated that they noticed someone was buying up ALL the Tanzanian Ruby and when they investigated they found it was you buying it back because you couldn't buy it for those prices anywhere else. This is very different from your reply stating you bought a few pieces for presents.

When you appear on screen you appear to the viewer to be a guest of Rocks and Co and just supply them with items, you are in fact a director of the company, what is your actual position in the company?

You are correct on both counts. People have different interpretations from what they hear and even what they read. I never said I was just a supplier, there are many, many people who are suppliers to Rocks and Co. and that is the full extent of their business with them, however I have presented myself as the person responsible for the majority of gemstone purchases in the company and that is what my brothers and I do for Rocks and Co. We are responsible for most of the gems from Brazil/Africa and special pieces and as far as being a director is concerned I have recently become a Director in the UK but my role and position in Rocks and Co. is unchanged, I was and remain in charge of Gemstone acquisition and oversee that department within the business. For this reason, when I go on air I really do not know where the prices of the jewellery pieces will go to, that responsibility and control is completely with the producer that is working at that time. On the other hand I am quite confident that few companies in the world have the ability to match us in price and quality in the same items we bring to the UK.
Sorry Tony but you have always been introduced as being a "Guest" when clearly this is not the case. You are a Director with a vested interest in the company so why allow this pretence?

Is Don Kogan in anyway involved in Rocks and Co as anything other than a Expert Guest.

Don is a personal friend and mentor from whom I have learned a lot over the years, but unfortunately he is not part of this company. Don is in demand, I don’t think there’s an English speaking channel globally that sells jewellery who has not asked him to go live for them at one time or another. When he does make an appearance on Rocks and Co. he is my personal guest and for his time I am eternally grateful.
No comment.

Finally, Why? When the ShoppingTelly.com form is read daily by senior staff at Rocks and Co are customers questions now ignored?

The problem is more extensive than simply answering questions. Gemstone wise, Gavin is the person that is responsible for that and he has always answered questions from our customers that have been sent to him. Despite being as busy as he is he still finds time to call customers and does respond to all of our customers queries that are directed to him. That said I am confident he would love to participate in more gemstone discussions but the discussions have to be constructive and quite honestly in the past, some discussions on Shoppingtelly.com have not been and Gavin has spent wasted time and effort rather than genuinely being a source of information and help for the readers of Shoppingtelly.com.
As with any forum, there are people who are not interested in dialogue but are more interested in trying to present issues for polemic or argumentative discussions and no matter what the response, they just attack with misinformation or a subjective point of view and if that doesn’t work they just attack the person responding. As it is a forum all opinions quite rightly count, however there have been many unconstructive, ridiculous, and even nasty discussions which Rocks and Co. should not get involved in. We have also received complaints from our regular customers that have posted positively about something only to be shot down and accused of being employees of Rocks and Co. Our main priority is to address the real problems of real customers as we continuously try and improve our service and product offering.

I have never asked Gavin any questions nor have I commented on his replies, simply because I do not have the knowledge. However, I have read these posts and totally disagree with your comments about Gavin having wasted his time. He has been challenged on his replies and a different viewpoint has been put to him or further questions asked, but I see that as constructive rather than destructive! I'm sad that he has not risen to the challenge having all that knowledge, and disappointed that he has seen this as "wasting his time and effort". I would have thought someone in his position would have welcomed the opportunity to debate his favourite subject. Surely someone has the right to open a discussion if they wish to pursue a different viewpoint or ask further questions rather than sitting back and just accepting Gavin's vew? I would have thought this would be better for the readers too, being able to see the different opinions and reasons for them?

Dialogue is a two way thing Tony. The initial calm, conservative remarks were ignored so became more 'to the point' and direct. Nothing which has been written on this forum by me is "misinformation". Every post, whether harsh or not, has been the truth and I have never attacked a genuine forum member for any response. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and these are given freely on here without having to resort to personal attacks on other members. Unlike those who work in the media and therefore have to accept they are putting themselves forward for public opinion, the members of this forum are purely consumers giving their opinions and we respect each other's views here.

I cannot believe your comments about "real" customers - there were many "real customers" on this forum, myself included, so I find that comment very insulting. I probably spent more than any of your other "real customers" when your channel launched and I know for a fact that some of your best customers came from this forum.
If your main priority is to address problems then you should take notice of some of the criticism posted here. Most of it could be extremely constructive to your company if you took the time to take people's perceptions into consideration instead of blindly believing you're employees presenting skills are acceptable and that viewers are happy with the histrionics. Don't you find it sad that so many people watch your channel with the sound turned down?

With regards to your "real customers" posting on here and being accused of being employees. Do you really allow your customers to enter your premises and use your computers to post on a forum? The IP address doesn't lie Tony! The only exception to this would have been the recent "customer" who's behaviour warranted us to believe he was another employee of Rocks & Co.

As you know from the email I sent on the company’s recent birthday I want to support Rocks and Co as much as I can, however it is getting increasingly difficult to ignore the questions and complaints that are being posted onto the forum.

On the matter of your support it is much appreciated, as for answering questions we would love to if the moderator can make sure that abuse on our staff and non constructive criticism is monitored.

I am disgusted that you are asking Graham to censor our posts. The members of this forum want to read the truth and whether you like it or not. Whatever happened to freedom of speech? Graham would never take away this right from us and I think it's disgraceful that you are asking him to do so.

Sincerely,

Tony Diniz

Can I say that I too did not expect a response from Tony so I applaude him for replying and apologise for thinking he would not. Graham, thank you for asking the questions.

I have picked out a few sections above, not to be "negatively disposed" but purely to clarify these.

Tony, I publically accept that I have been one of the foremost posters of criticism and yes, I agree some was probably "non constructive" in the sense that they could look like I was making a personal attack on the presenters in question. However, I don't know any of these people in real life and my posts were based purely (and accurately I may add) on their behaviour in their job and were nothing to do with them in their personal lives or on them as people. Perhaps they could be classed as "professional attacks" but were not personal. However, being in the public eye this comes with the territory. The point of my posts was to highlight the ridiculous antics they were using in an effort to make viewers buy. I can assure you that no sane, normal person would be swayed or persuaded to buy on this basis. No amount of screaming, shouting, squealing or making funny faces will make someone suddenly like and be able to afford to buy a piece of jewellery. Being presented with the facts honestly, and in a normal, controlled tone of voice, without the histrionics is all we are asking for.

Finally, if I may add a couple of questions Tony - What comments can you make regarding all the posts on your windowed gemstones and the sales pitch constantly used that they are cut by "the best gemcutters in the World"? Nobody has ever responded to this despite obviously reading the posts. The evidence is there for all to see so why not discuss it?
Finally, can you tell us why your prices have rocketed?

Your channel started off poorly as a fixed price channel, became really good when changed to a Falling Auction channel and then went downhill rapidly when you employed such ridiculous presenting styles, badly cut gemstones and hiked up your prices. We were all pleased and excited at having a new jewellery channel but were brought back down to earth with a massive thud!

I really hope you can accept some of the criticism - I'm not the only person with "negative" posts, and can turn things around to the benefit of everyone. If the problems don't exist then neither will the posts!

Dear Graham,

Dear Tony,

I am not sure what exactly happened here but I have an idea. On one of my trips to the UK while I was in a hotel, some pieces came to auction of Tanzanian ruby and some pieces from the Colours of Life Collection. I called the call centre and purchased a few pieces to give as gifts for my family members in Brazil as I know the quality of the gemstones and the craftsmanship and also the prices were so low that even if I wanted I could not get it again so cheaply. As the name of customers sometimes appears on the Producer’s screen my name came up and that’s when it all started. To be honest, knowing the cost of the gemstones, on occasion, I would like to buy some pieces back as to my knowledge they really are irreplaceable. I find this incredibly hard to believe that as a gemstone buyer, and a Director, there would be a need to buy back jewellery to present as gifts! Sorry, this doesn't square with me. This is smoke and mirrors and in my mind is trying to justify a ridiculous story.

You are correct on both counts. People have different interpretations from what they hear and even what they read. I never said I was just a supplier, but have given the impression of such - do you not realise that this is just as deceiptful? there are many, many people who are suppliers to Rocks and Co. and that is the full extent of their business with them, however I have presented myself as the person responsible for the majority of gemstone purchases in the company and that is what my brothers and I do for Rocks and Co. We are responsible for most of the gems from Brazil/Africa and special pieces and as far as being a director is concerned I have recently become a Director in the UK but my role and position in Rocks and Co. is unchanged, I was and remain in charge of Gemstone acquisition and oversee that department within the business. For this reason, when I go on air I really do not know where the prices of the jewellery pieces will go to, that responsibility and control is completely with the producer that is working at that time. Maybe so but there must be a guideline. For example, you buy gemstones for $X, it costs $Y to produce an item, therefore there must be a guide selling price of $Z. I understand that a producer may, with some discretion, vary that on air but not to the extent that it should have the person responsible for the majority of gemstone purchases in the company, holding his head in his hands! You really can't expect us to believe that you continually make a loss on most pieces of jewellery? This is basic business sense, not rocket science. Again, the sales "tactics" of trying to allude that each piece is making a loss is deceptive. Of course there will be loss leaders BUT if every piece you sold was at a loss you'll be closed in under a year. On the other hand I am quite confident that few companies in the world have the ability to match us in price and quality in the same items we bring to the UK. A matter of opinion and one I don't agree with. There are plenty of suppliers in the UK that match and beat you for price and quality on a gem for gem, goldweight for goldweight, diamond for diamond basis. This is a fact, not a criticism.

Don is a personal friend and mentor from whom I have learned a lot over the years, but unfortunately he is not part of this company. Don is in demand, I don’t think there’s an English speaking channel globally that sells jewellery who has not asked him to go live for them at one time or another. When he does make an appearance on Rocks and Co. he is my personal guest and for his time I am eternally grateful. This for me, is a moot point and unimportant. I don't care who is/who's not involved in Rocks and Co, so long as Rocks and Co are honest. What I will say is that I know for a fact that when Rocks and Co were in the planning stages Don Kogan WAS involved and it was considered his venture. I have never lied on this forum and never will. I have no reason to do so as I have nothing to gain!

The problem is more extensive than simply answering questions. Gemstone wise, Gavin is the person that is responsible for that and he has always answered questions from our customers that have been sent to him. Despite being as busy as he is he still finds time to call customers and does respond to all of our customers queries that are directed to him. That said I am confident he would love to participate in more gemstone discussions but the discussions have to be constructive and quite honestly in the past, some discussions on Shoppingtelly.com have not been and Gavin has spent wasted time and effort rather than genuinely being a source of information and help for the readers of Shoppingtelly.com. I think you'll find that there was some interesting dialogue - certainly Gavin has never EVER been treated disrespectfully on this forum. I (and others) may have queried his advice - but surely that's the nature of a forum? If he can't answer constructively and chooses to take things personally then he shouldn't participate. If he wants us to agree with him and accept his views all the time or hang on to his every word because he's "the author of ........" it's not going to happen. Gavin's views on treatments are not aligned with my own (or the majority of serious gemstone collectors). Beryllium diffusion is not acceptable to serious collectors and should be disclosed. I don't care how you dress it up. I can point you to other specialist forums that will bear that out. Many authors of gemstone books, that are HIGHLY thought of in the gemstone world, contribute on other forums and enjoy a healthy debate. Nobody takes their bat and ball home when challenged.

As with any forum, there are people who are not interested in dialogue but are more interested in trying to present issues for polemic or argumentative discussions and no matter what the response, they just attack with misinformation or a subjective point of view and if that doesn’t work they just attack the person responding. Please qualify this statement with facts. To my knowledge, everybody on this forum has been interested in healthy debate and NOBODY has been attacked personally (apart from Klosblue and I by your employees - but I guess that doesn't count?). Perhaps you should mention the bit about personal attacks to Gavin who in a recent email to Graham decided to be extremely rude, disrespectful and downright nasty about Klosblue and I! It works both ways you know! I have NEVER on this forum written anything at all derrogatory about Gavin. Never. I could have challenged him far more than I have done but chose not to. I've challenged him but not been rude. So I'm afraid that your response in this regard is the pot calling the kettle black.

As it is a forum all opinions quite rightly count, however there have been many unconstructive, ridiculous, and even nasty discussions which Rocks and Co. should not get involved in. That is of course your prerogative. We have also received complaints from our regular customers that have posted positively about something only to be shot down and accused of being employees of Rocks and Co. Sorry but I seriously don't believe this. Again, please back up with statements of fact. It's easy to throw around "he said" "she said" but in all honesty it's rhetoric. Yes, one person recently was accused of being a "plant" of Rocks & Co. Why? Because Rocks and Co have allowed this to happen. Rocks and Co have allowed their staff to come on here with the sole purpose of attacking forum members who don't give glowing feedback. I would be very interested to know why you think that's acceptable? Did we receive an apology when we were personally attacked by YOUR staff? No. Rocks and Co's silence on that matter speaks volumes. Our main priority is to address the real problems of real customers as we continuously try and improve our service and product offering. I guess you don't see us as "real customers" then? Our feedback doesn't count then? When we posted about issues we had with deliveries, items not passing quality control etc, that doesn't count with you?

On the matter of your support it is much appreciated, as for answering questions we would love to if the moderator can make sure that abuse on our staff and non constructive criticism is monitored. You're actually asking for censorship. That's not the point of a forum. You should learn from the feedback and the negative criticisms. No other gemstone/jewellery channel has felt the need to ask for this. They've accepted the rough with the smooth. If you are as proud of your products and service as you have stated above then you should be able to argue constructively if there is negative feedback NOT attack those giving it.

Sincerely,

Tony Diniz

I trust that you don't feel the above is an attack on you personally? It is certainly not intended as such. May I also take this opportunity to commend you on your use of the English language as your reply above certainly looks like it's been written by a native English speaker. Many congratulations - learning English is exceptionally tough.

*Copied from Tony's response*

Just one point i would like to put to Tony... Our main priority is to address the real problems of real customers as we continuously try and improve our service and product offering.

Could i respectfully ask why, if this is the case, that your computer systems are abysmally bad, and has been since day one, and why online customers items are removed from baskets before the time allowed (as per your website) has lapsed? IMO these are two large issues that would benefit from being improved.

Hi all,
I am not employed by any Jewellery channel and I am quite new to this forum.
I have purchased items from the TV from about 15 years and have experience with customer services both professional and as a customer.

My take on the response from Tony Diniz is that a lawyer has crafted the response with TD contribution. I know that if I was a Director of a company, I would not want to put pen to paper (email) without legal advice.

Some of the comments on this forum regarding selling antics and quality of jewellery not to mention the "hotelgate" gaff” are funny, helpful and informative. Problems at R&C are not unique and others TV channels have had similar.

I know from experience that if customer services problems and complaints are not dealt quickly, they don’t go away they get bigger and any goodwill dissipates on all sides. I feel sorry for CS staff at R&C I know what it’s like to do your best and have other operational issues outside of your control exacerbating the problem. Silence is unacceptable and shows contempt for customers.

To succeed in selling jewellery on TV in competitive environment is not easy. R&C have to differentiate their offering from other jewellery channels, find their niche! From what I can see R&C are succeeding for all the wrong reasons. Being known for offering the worst customer services or unreliable website is not the kind of reputation that any company wants to be associated with. Spend some money R&C and sort out your customer services/website as a priority.

As for the antics of presenters, directors buying presents in hotel rooms are all irrelevant to me. I will only buy if I like what I see on R&C, I have confidence that I am buying the real deal and getting value for money.

Censorship! What happened to “sticks and stones”? Grow up Tony Diniz, leave your play pen and sort out your problems. You are dealing with "real" adults with cash to spend!

Sapphireblue

Tony's English is indeed to be commended (or whoever helped him with his prose).

I have been here since I was 14, I am now 42. I didn't speak any English before I came here, other than what I had picked up from pop songs :)

I think Sapphireblue had that one right. If Tony composed all that by himself, I want the name of his English teacher......

'Real Customers'?????? As opposed to what, Tony, scotch fu**ing mist?!?!? I bought something from you. It was sh*t and I sent it back. Does that mean I am not a real customer?? Or are real customers only people that buy something and fawn over it?? Now I was going to be willing to give you another chance. I have noticed that not quite as many windows are apparent in your stones and the cutting is looking a bit better.

After that?? Not a fu**ing chance.

...apologies for the language peeps. Am not a happy Princess!

OK, adding an edit coz I feel bad about the language and the lack of constructive criticism (maybe this will make me real!!).

So, constructive advice:

1 - employ enough people to answer the freaking phones at your call centre....tends to help when you have a CS problem if someone actually answers the phone!

2 - When you employ them, train them properly. Make sure they KNOW what they ought to be advising, and don't have to scuttle off every 20 seconds to ask a supervisor (for 'supervisor' see 'nearest person at the time' - they also need to learn how to use the hold button properly, and not call the person on the line 'this bird'!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back