Returnung items via RM.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
It is ages since I have used RM for returns; usually the items have been heavy enough to warrant the Q sending a courier to collect them. I had two prepaid labels to return the Bibi tsv, and the Panda security, so asked mum to take them when she went to the PO. "They want to know what you are sending", mum asked when she called me from said PO. "It's none of their business", says I, indignantly. "Ask why they need to know." The lady said she couldn't take them, unless she knew what was being sent. Mum didn't have any idea what I was returning, so I duly informed her - good job it wasn't her birthday present (coming up 26/02) - and they took the parcels.
I phone the Q customer services, to relay what had happened, and was told RM have recently changed the policy on what it will deliver and what it will not - due to health and safety! Apparently, it won't accept nail polish - parcels were not big enough to contain 12ml bottles - and batteries, for example.
I considered investing in RM recently; thank God I decided against it. With couriers like DFD, which gives a 1 hour time window for delivery, and Yodel also informs you of delivery, RM placing regulatory criteria on deliveries will ensure it's already loyal customers will abandon the company in droves.
Such an annoying experience. Good job mum can use her mobile - just about!

I think it is to do with EU rules. Hermes will not carry certain items either. I think I had to tick a disclaimed box whrpen I printed out my return labels to state that the item I was sending was not on a list of banned items. I think I even had to state what the item was. Regulations are always changing.

well i went to RM to return a ring (it was only from the eternal range so was less than £18) and the lady in the post office told me she didn't want me to post jewellery back as it wasn't safe!!!

she then insisted if i wanted to send it to send it using special delivery which would have cost me £7, i insisted the usual 2nd class service for £2.10 would be ok.

i actually asked royal mail if they want people using their services lately as its like your on trial when you try posting a parcel these days. very bad service, i too informed Q to get informed they were only doing their job... what a load of bullpoop.

well i went to RM to return a ring (it was only from the eternal range so was less than £18) and the lady in the post office told me she didn't want me to post jewellery back as it wasn't safe!!!

she then insisted if i wanted to send it to send it using special delivery which would have cost me £7, i insisted the usual 2nd class service for £2.10 would be ok.

That will be because if it is expensive and worth - over £35 or so - if the parcel goes missing then you on't get all your money back if it gets sent 2nd class.

These rules have been in since last year July. Certain items even couriers need a licence to ship as well. Leaflets in post offices and up on the walls. Better the post office telling you than it being destroyed and you get a letter warning you what you did was illegal and can be taken to court if it happens again.

Complaints on the QVC facebook page about people living in the Irish Republic not getting parcels as they are turned to QVC by the courier.

Same is happening in the US, you must declare what is in your parcel.

Usually they will take it but for certain things you need to put a special sticker on the outside and that is only for shipping inside the UK.

Strangely it all goes back to 9/11, the rules were not really enforced but last year the EU and the US suddenly cracked down.

This is something else I knew nothing about until reading this marvellous forum!! However, if I bought a large collection of Leighton Denny, so way above the limit, and wanted to return it, does Q provide guidance on how I can do that???? I mean does the returns sticker say care, do not return by RM???? I realise this may well be a naive question!

This is something else I knew nothing about until reading this marvellous forum!! However, if I bought a large collection of Leighton Denny, so way above the limit, and wanted to return it, does Q provide guidance on how I can do that???? I mean does the returns sticker say care, do not return by RM???? I realise this may well be a naive question!

You would call QVC and ask for courier to collect it.

Do you know who covers the cost of the courier? Is it QVC?

Not sure, I had to do it once but there was an issue with the set so QVC were going to send me returns label till I pointed out it couldn't be sent via RM.

Booking a Hermes collection requires use of the internet so if you phone CS and ask them to organise it be ready to say you don't have access to the interweb (fingers crossed) if they suggest you book the collection (and pay) yourself. Ofcourse don't say you read on here or facebook about the Royal Mail rules!

i have the phone number for my local Hermes agent and he takes them back now if i need him to, i don't pay him so i assume Q does... otherwise he wouldn't do it?

i have the phone number for my local Hermes agent and he takes them back now if i need him to, i don't pay him so i assume Q does... otherwise he wouldn't do it?

The Hermes courier cannot take items unless it has been authorised by QVC first.

The Hermes courier cannot take items unless it has been authorised by QVC first.

he always takes them, and i always get refunded :thinking: - i dont really return much though, but if i need to i ring him and he comes and picks it up.

should i stop?

Well if he doesn't mind taking them I wouldn't worry. My Hermes chap is lovely (mind you I do order plenty of stuff). He told me that as long as he's been requested to collect from an address by QVC, he can accept any number of parcels*. Next time I see him I'll ask if the same is true if I book and pay for a return on the Hermes website because that would be a cheap way to return a whole load of parcels for £3.70 (or whatever it costs), cheaper than my personal best (worst) of 16 parcels for £15 via ParcelForce consignment.

* He put a barcode sticker on each parcel and gave me a matching barcoded receipt for both parcels which is reassuring should any go astray in the QVC returns dept.

went into the post office this morning to return a dress from Q and as usual she asks me whats inside, what's the value etc... so i tell her its a dress and its £123, she wouldn't allow me to post it unless i paid a for delivery service with insurance that would cost me almost £9! i've already paid £5.95 having it delivered. royal mail really need to rethink these new prices and questioning or people will just avoid them!

instead i had to use the hermes courier to come and collect it. very annoying as i have to wait in for him tomorrow now.

I have stopped going to the Post Office as if the lady is not passing comment on the cost/amount of my handbags she is making me feel like a social leper for not agreeing to a £11 charge on an item worth £30! I keep telling her if it gets lost it gets lost, I'll take my chances as it has never happened before! I recently sold some individual nail polishes on ebay and she almost had a fit when she discovered what they were! However, I had printed the page from Royal Mail where it says you can post but not more than 3 bottles at once, and they had to be packaged securely. She didn't like this and made a huge show of putting a massive warning label on each one, very slowly to make a point, haha! I will now be using a different post office, but it is cheaper, and easier, to use a courier these days. Plus, you don't get a Spanish inquisition every time!!

It makes me appreciate my local little sub-post office, they're more on the ball than the main offices nearby. They were the first to recommend I use Parcelforce consignment to return multiple Q packages. They posted a bundle of ebay parcels and trusted me to bring the money in the next day when I'd just caught the last post but forgotten my purse. I probably chat longer to them in a day than I do my family some days!
They have lots of very elderly customers who can't remember the PINs for their pensions so they keep them in the safe, I think they even keep a couple of cards in there for pensioners who keep losing theirs (I'm sure this isn't legal but these folk would struggle every week if they didn't help out).

I always say that if they were ever closed I'd give up ebay selling completely, and reading other posts here makes me realise how lucky I am.

Not only does my post office ask what is inside the parcel you're posting, yesterday I went to pick up a parcel that I'd missed delivery of which had been left at the PO to collect, and I when I handed over the card the lady said, "Can you tell me what's in it?"

No! None of your flipping business! It's already been posted so why do you need to know?!
The rebel in me was tempted to lie and say "a vibrator" to see what reaction it got, but I just smiled and guessed at what size parcel it would be. :mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
Not only does my post office ask what is inside the parcel you're posting, yesterday I went to pick up a parcel that I'd missed delivery of which had been left at the PO to collect, and I when I handed over the card the lady said, "Can you tell me what's in it?"

No! None of your flipping business! It's already been posted so why do you need to know?!
The rebel in me was tempted to lie and say "a vibrator" to see what reaction it got, but I just smiled and guessed at what size parcel it would be. :mysmilie_17:

It's funny you should say that, a friend of mine went into their local post office to post a parcel (not to Q) but were given the same questioning as if under interrogation. After it was all sorted and she's paid - before she walked away she asked the lady behind the counter her date of birth and what colour socks she was wearing... confused the lady said "excuse me?" so my friend quite calmly replied with "well you've asked me a load of questions that have nothing to do with you, now its my turn"... she was asked not to use that post office again!!! how ridiculous is that hahaha!:mysmilie_15::rock:

Latest posts

Back