Ruth Langsford TSV 12/09/20

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Perhaps it’s because I have no time for the TVAM types in any shape or form, but am I alone in NOT wanting to wear/use something just because it has a flying pig association with them?

Even people I like I have no interest in buying a lookalike dress, even if they did it in my size.

If I saw someone my shape and size looking good in a garment I may look into it further but who and what they are or do has no influence it is purely because it might suit me.

I've just got 2 jumpers from Damart for £29.00 including postage,one was half price. Lovely jumpers and great fit,I am a 12 and the 10 to 12 size fitted perfectly.

Perhaps it’s because I have no time for the TVAM types in any shape or form, but am I alone in NOT wanting to wear/use something just because it has a flying pig association with them?

Even people I like I have no interest in buying a lookalike dress, even if they did it in my size.

If I saw someone my shape and size looking good in a garment I may look into it further but who and what they are or do has no influence it is purely because it might suit me.

No, you are not alone...I rarely notice what celebs/tv personalities are wearing and if I'm honest, and once a "celebs" name becomes associated with a particular garment, I'm even less likely to want to buy it. I remember Holly Willoughby's "must haves" in M&S, and whilst some of the stuff was quite nice, it didn't make me want to rush out and buy any of them. I see stuff in magazines, or when I'm generally browsing, or looking on line when I've got something specific in mind, I've got some lovely vintage stuff I've picked up over the years too. If I see it and I love it I'll buy it...not because the media are telling us that the world is going crazy for a Tesco or Primark summer dress that RL wore on This Morning.

Most clothing is made in the Far East even for the homely British companies. I ordered a shirt from Seasalt Via Q which is marketed as a Cornish company . The shirt was made in India but was at least 2 sizes too small so returned. How can the manufacturer ensure quality control from afar let alone ensure slave wages aren’t being paid.
It’s so difficult to find real UK made items.

I’ve got a pair of Mr Max straight leg trousers made in Canada, have noticed a lot of M&S clothes now made in Sri Lanka,Bangladesh and Turkey.😄

I bought some cheap cotton dresses on ebay that I didn't realise were posted from India. I bought a 12 not realising that they would only fit a 12 year old :D Another waste of money.:rolleyes:

CC

Yes, you have to forget about sizing particularly when India is involved.

I was a huge customer of Kaleidoscope catalogue, and never had a problem with buying a size 18/20. Around the last 5 or 6 years the clothes have become ridiculously smaller. To get a proper fit I have to buy a 24 or 26 - (if they have them), and no I haven't crept up in size, and my friend who is a size 14 has also found this, she has to buy an 18 or 20. Its a nonsense.

I've been checking my clothes labels and I have one item that's made in the uk and that is a summer dress I bought from a shop in town where a lady used to make the clothes at home from "reclaimed fabric" I paid a tenner for it in a closing down sale and it's an amazing dress...however, the "reclaimed" fabric was probably garnered from clothing made in China! My vintage stuff largely doesn't even have wash labels and much information, though I have a vintage jacket that was made in Australia...think that's the closest I'll get. Found Turkey, Portugal, Romania, Bulgaria, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India, Hawaii and Vietnam and of course Canada but the bulk of my clothes are made in flippin' China. Glad I've stopped buying clothes now 'cause it make it easier not to buy any more Chinese goods!

You can google British made clothing and there are quite a few brands which still manufacture here in the UK but they tend to be small brands and their prices are often eye watering. One site had simple plain coloured short sleeve cotton T shirts similar to what you`d find in Asda or Marks for a few pounds and they were charging £45.

You can google British made clothing and there are quite a few brands which still manufacture here in the UK but they tend to be small brands and their prices are often eye watering. One site had simple plain coloured short sleeve cotton T shirts similar to what you`d find in Asda or Marks for a few pounds and they were charging £45.
I don’t mind paying a bit more if the item will last and give plenty of wear. The fad for throwaway fashion means most things are cheap and cheerful from the Far East. I got into it too not worrying about ditching something after a couple of wears.
I’m trying to get away from it now.

I've only woken up to the fact that I don't want to support the Chinese economy since the start of the pandemic, therefore I seldom checked labels as to where they're made. I've never liked to shop in Primark..not because I'm snobby about it, I don't like the shopping experience....I hate clothes shopping anyway, but going into a crowded store with clothes strewn everywhere and then buying something that you'll see on about 5 other people in the same day, doesn't do it for me (I realise that last bit sounded snobby but hey!) In my experience there's absoloutely nothing wrong with the quality of Primark goods..their duvet covers are the best i've ever had and that's no exaggeration, the clothes I've bought, mainly for holidays have been well finished and have washed up well..I recently had to throw away a pricey T shirt from the brand "hush" because it had faded and had gone right out of shape, yet the tshirts/vest tops I've boughtfrom Primark are still going strong. I think you can still shop in Primark without buying into the "throwaway culture"...I only throw away stuff if it's fallen to bits, or has become unwearable for whatever reason...if I'm fed up with it and it's in good nick I'll donate it to a charity shop. The facebook qvc site is full of eejits slagging Primark off saying it's crap quality that's why they'd rather pay 20 times the amount on Marla Wynne etc. Having said all that I'd love to buy something made in the uk..but I sadly can't afford to!

Latest posts

Back