Shopping channel discoveries

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
What products have you discovered by watching the shopping channels and now can't be without?

For me they are
From QVC - Stylee hair combs. Two combs with fabric covered elastic strips. Only thing that holds my hair completely and utterly rigidly in place, my hair is long and very thick and they've been a lifesaver for me since I have to wear my hair up at work. Q don't do them any more but I discovered that the company that makes them are based in my home town and they have a website to order from.

SBC Arnica gel...blooming fantastic!

From IW - Jerome Alexander mineral powder. The first one I bought was Mario De Luigi, but then suddenly it changed to a normal powder and I was upset not to be able to get it any more. Soon after that JA came on the scene and brought the magic mineral powder which he claimed he invented, so I bought some and it was the same as the MDL. Think a copyright issue came into play there...a mystery. Brilliant stuff!

From Bid - Punjaban curry bases (now sold by IW) Best home curry products EVER. We had one last week which was actually better than the Indian takeaway we bought the week before. Their lime pickle is particularly amazing, as is their chilli naan bread.

Possibility bath products - blatant copy of Philosphy - amazing dessert fragrances and recipes on the front of the bottles (and I've made a few of the things and they've worked out well) Cheap as chips and can be bought on various beauty websites. Great strong fragrances, good bubbles, can be used in bath, shower or as shampoo.

Infomercial products - Magic Bullet blender. It's not as magic as they make out, but what it does it does brilliantly and is so compact and versatile. Tried all the fancier versions but the basic bullet is my kitchen hero

Ahh Bra- Game changer...I bought one about 15 years ago and I've never looked back!

I was a fan of Stylees too before I retired I wore them for work.
I too am a Arnica fan.
Australian Tea Tree Oil and Skin Wash.

The sets of Jerome Alexander they did on IW were brilliant, this is the only powder foundation that for me covered blemishes, toned down redness and the colour match light/original was a perfect match for my skin colour, also the cream concealer stick was fantastic too, they used JA make-up on the X Factor and let’s face it they had their choice of anything............I do miss those sets.

And yes that curry is gorgeous and I’m not a massive curry lover either 😃❤️

To think of it, considering I've been following shopping telly for nearly 20 years, that's actually a pretty small list of stuff. Don't get me wrong I've bought plenty of other things that I've been happy with, but the stuff on that list have been the real game changers...Just whipped up my pancake batter for later in my trusty magic bullet! On the other hand the truly dreadful stuff I've bought from shopping channels..I could probably write a book about...Don't worry I won't - but off the top of my head here's a few I got sucked into buying

H20 vac - an informercial product. Vacuum cleaner that you filled with water and all the dirt got sucked into the water and was supposed to be good for those with allergies. No bags, easy to clean etc. No - it was really big and bulky, after one use the water was disgusting, smelly and had to be poured away after each use, unlike those annoying bags or dust chambers (that only need emptying when full) I had to lug in downstairs to empty it and more often than not I splashed myself with the filthy water. All hair and debris got stuck to the side and you'd literally have to try and force your arm in to get it dislodged...it was just an awful thing! Other than that it didn't actually do a very good job of cleaning the carpets...It was pretty pricey too!

Cafetiere with a grounds collector in the bottom..just remove it and empty into the bin....made a bigger mess than a normal one.

Meal maker gadget, basically an electric omelette maker with two half moon shaped wells in which you could cook anything from chocolate cake to chicken breasts in. Everything you cooked in it came out soggy and completely inedible

Air-o- dry..basically a pop up laundry hamper with a hair dryer attatched...unstable and dangerous...would take 6 hours to dry a few t shirts..it was suppose to eliminate the need for ironing - Guess what? - It didn't!

Seren toaster - worst toaster I've ever used in my life...side loading thing..just terrible!

Last edited:
The Q gave me the opportunity to try Birkenstocks - love them, good quality pearls at a reasonable price from Honora - still wear them & meant that I could finally buy a Kitchenaid, with attachments, at the best price I'd seen. Blimey, I was a QVC shopper from 1993 to last year & that's all I've got to show for the thousands I spent :cry: Could I be without any of them? Yes, but analysing it I could get by without a lot of the stuff I've got; I sometimes think I could be like the Botley Bag Lady, except I'd have to have a pet.

I still use my Phil Tyne multi-gym and Gazelle walker most days, after 20?? years.

The Gazelle is good when it is too wet or cold to do real walking.

The gym I mainly use for ab exercises, such as sit-ups on the inclined board, head down at about 45 degrees, so much harder than on the level.

Just thought of another that needs to go on my game changer list...Memory foam mattress topper. First saw them on one of the channels, don't remember which could've been another infomercial channel. I remember the tagline "Turn your old mattress into a high end sleeping system"...I bought one and was thrilled with it. I have since upgraded to an Emma memory foam mattress and the bed in the spare room has a memory foam topper...can't sleep on anything else!

Latest posts

Back