Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I remember when I did cookery at school(ah, they were the days), everyone brought Stock marg but we only used Echo marg at home My pastry batter was always paler than everyone else.
Oh that's interesting, we used Stork at home but Echo at school. My Mum only ever used Cookeen for pastry without any margarine at all.

My Mum always used block Stork margarine for baking but she used beef dripping for frying chips and other foods. Our local butcher rendered his own beef dripping from the carcasses and it was in a huge steel bowl similar to an old fashioned tin bath and he`d cut huge chunks of it when Mum would send one of us to his shop with the request for enough beef dripping for a chip pan. He always seemed to know just how much to cut.
He was a typical family butcher and just him and his apprentice butcher son worked there. He`d go to the auctions and select his own beef on the hoof, buy the cow or cows, it would be slaughtered and then the carcass would be delivered to his shop. You`d see him butcher the carcass on the wooden block and bits of it would be hung on hooks at the back of the counter.
He also made all of his own cooked meats and the shop would frequently smell delicious because he`d have a ham or a chunk of beef or pork cooking in the back room and I must admit his roast Ox heart was to die for. He didn`t possess an electric slicer, if you wanted sliced cooked ham etc then he`d slice it by hand and to the thickness you wanted.
Nothing was pre packed and you`d ask for whatever you wanted and then it was greaseproof paper wrapping and then placed in a brown paper bag.

When I worked in Tesco and they had a proper butchery department we used to see the pigs being bought in for butchering. There was a fat trap and when it was cleaned the smell was horrendous.

I love custard in any shape or form as long as it’s not too sweet. Thick, thin, hot, cold, skin, lumpy, anything. Don’t eat it over anything (hate anything soggy) so on its own or in a separate dish so they don’t mix (I’m queen of the separate dishes, don’t liked mixed up food or too much white food on the plate, eg cod, cauliflower and mash no no no)

And me - though I'm not too fond of tinned and dislike the packet 'instant' stuff.

For me it's a no to skin on custard!
My mum's rice pudding, like her custard, was made with a small tin of evaporated milk, and two tins of water. The top was always covered in nutmeg, and it would develop a very thin, dry skin in the oven. I loves the skin on that, just not on custard. It would be dull if we all felt the same!

Since reading and contributing to the reminiscences of food prep from the past, I only went and bought some evaporated milk!

I remember when I did cookery at school(ah, they were the days), everyone brought Stock marg but we only used Echo marg at home My pastry batter was always paler than everyone else.
We used Stork at home too!
I can't remember what brand the school used we had to pay for the ingredients we used. Though my cookery teacher always had a go for going to slow. Though as we had gas at home, at school I had to use the electric cookers. To this day I am not keen on electric cookers.

My Nans neighbour used to make brawn and his garden was littered with jaw bones 🤢
Oh and that has just brought back a memory of when my brother had an Old English Sheepdog puppy. He used to buy ox cheeks for him and I had the job of picking the teeth out so as his darling boy didn't choke on them 😂

I use those half fat butter spreads for things like sandwiches or scones however for toast it had to be real butter and plenty of it, spreads seem to go funny on warm toast.

For cooking it is always butter. I don’t bake any longer as being only 2 of us Mr L would feel “obligated “ to eat 12 cupcakes etc whilst fresh!

Shall we talk Sweetbreads?

I was a child and came home to my granny cooking them for my Mum. I had no idea what they were, did not look like any sweets I had ever seen. But I not going to eat them!

Then of course Tripe which was cooked with milk and onions. I actually think I might have eaten that?

Another one my granny cooked for me on a Saturday, she was making Mac and Cheese but for me did a mix of raw egg mixed with milk and sugar cooked with the macaroni. Think scrambled egg only sweet and macaroni

Shall we talk Sweetbreads?

I was a child and came home to my granny cooking them for my Mum. I had no idea what they were, did not look like any sweets I had ever seen. But I not going to eat them!

Then of course Tripe which was cooked with milk and onions. I actually think I might have eaten that?
My dad loved tripe and onions but the one thing he ate which grossed me out even as a child were pigs trotters. They were pig feet and the cooked flesh on them was kind of jellified but the one thing which really made me heave was the fact they still had their toenails on. Dad would sit with a plate full and a tea towel tucked down his front and munch and suck the flesh off them. Yuk !

My Mum used to make what she called cheese scones. In reality they were Cookeen pastry with thick slices of cheese sandwiched between the layers. Delicious when straight from the oven but when cold like a solid lump of hard, indigestible fat if you were unlucky enough to find them in your packing up.

Does anyone remember Outline spread? I think that the reason it was low fat is because it was basically plastic and water.

I’ve never been keen on offal or funny bits! The very look of tripe makes be heave.

I love sucking meat off the bones, ribs, chops, chicken but Mr L either won’t eat on the bone or cuts the meat away thus wasting half . Not wasted as I always snaffle his left over bones as there is another portion left! Even in a restaurant I suck the bones (in a lady like way😇) as I feel it shows how much I’m enjoying the food and don’t want to waste it.

Latest posts

Back