Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

New poster, long-time lurker here.

I don't follow any kind of social media as no matter how private my settings are, my ex and his family still manage to find me. They also have no 'filter' on their posts about people, but I digress...

Maybe the SC's 'silence' is due to pressure from his darling husband - or maybe it's the price of a very expensive 4-wheeled gift. And if I say any more, I will totally out myself.

I hope this post doesn't get banned and binned as I like it here, and maybe I should have kept the gossip to myself, but having read this thread from the start, I couldn't help but add my salt to the soup :mysmilie_845:

One rabid fan said she wishes both of them the best of luck. She would be visiting the shop soon( not sure but this could be a threat. Turn up with a rival's brand and place in their bed?:mysmilie_17: No doubt to try to find out who the evil vile women who complained are.

The stretch hose is back as a OTO and mysteriously a lot of the one star reviews have disappeared...hmmm, most peculiar

Rather strange comment made on the Q page. Some man is saying "You are going bankrupt. If you work for them look for another job!"

Wow! He must be psychic! Or been rubbing his magic ball. :)mysmilie_17: sorry). Seriously though, I think with QVC prices, abysmal service and ridiculous postage costs, we could all predict that.

Rather strange comment made on the Q page. Some man is saying "You are going bankrupt. If you work for them look for another job!"

It's the way of the world these days!
Maybe the Freebies have caught up with them! Bloggers watch out, you better find another past-time soon!!!! :mysmilie_520::mysmilie_867::mysmilie_852:

I posted the post below in December 2015 in an attempt to broaden the extremely myopic view of Facebook that is continually expressed here. As the impression here is still that FB is for "groupies" and people who continually post pictures of their families or spend their evenings talking to the same people they've been working with all day, I thought it would be worth posting this again because it demonstrates what FB is really about for millions of its users.

December 2015

"FB is whatever you want it to be. Some pages may be "faux happy clappy love in", but not the ones I'm involved with. The groups I belong to are active across the world in animal rescue. In one group alone this year we've rehomed over 200 street dogs around the world - dogs that had been brutalised in ways I couldn't detail here because people would complain, dogs that were literally living skeletons on the brink of death from starvation when we found them, and many dogs that were rescued from trucks taking them to slaughterhouses in China and Vietnam where they would have been tortured to death because the people believe the meat tastes better if the animal suffers while it dies. These 200 dogs had endured unspeakable cruelty in various forms, and every one of them is now in a loving home, and it's not an exaggeration to say it's largely due to us being able to communicate via FB.

A message is received by someone that a dog has been run over in, say, Bangkok. This dog will be left lying in the street and people will just walk by if we don't help it. A post is put on the FB group asking someone close by to find the dog. The dog is found and a vet wants $1000 to operate and treat. An appeal goes out on the FB group and within a couple of hours members all over the world have sent $10 or $20 and the $1000 is raised. The dog receives treatment and someone in Bangkok offers to foster it during its recovery. When the dog is ready its details are posted on FB and someone will offer to adopt it. The dog is then transported to its new home, very often the first home it's ever had. All the costs are paid by the thousands of people around the world who support the group. We pay vet bills, relocation costs, sterilisation programme costs, dog and cat food bills at private shelters around the world run by people trying to make a difference in countries where dogs and cats are considered to be vermin, and many other projects. And it's all achieved by us talking to each other every day on FB. The groups I belong to are helping dogs and cats in Thailand, Romania (a member country of the EU whose government perpetrates horrendous cruelty on dogs and cats), Greece, China, India, Vietnam and Bulgaria. There's a wonderful group of young people in India called Guardians of the Voiceless, who are trying to change the way animals are viewed and treated in India, who literally couldn't function without the help they receive via FB.

Cuddled up next to me as I type this is a little dog who a year ago was starving to death on the streets of Thailand. She was found as skin and bone, scraping roadkill off the road and trying to eat it. She was pregnant, had tapeworm, was covered in fleas and over 100 ticks, was severely anaemic and had blood parasites which would have killed her if she hadn't starved to death first. She was rescued by a wonderful woman who just couldn't drive by like everyone else, and who knew someone who rescues street dogs locally. This little dog then suffered kidney failure when she had her pups because they took everything she had and her little body couldn't cope. She spent three weeks at the vet, and it was touch and go. Thankfully she recovered, although she will have chronic kidney disease for life. And now this sweet-natured, dear little girl lives here with me, my other two dogs and my four cats. She's a happy, bouncing, fun-loving little dog who must have been so frightened on her own on Thailand's cruel streets, and I thank god for FB enabling her to have the life she deserves.

FB is what you make it, but it should never be dismissed as just a mutual admiration social site. There are millions of people around the world using FB to make the world a better place. They're raising funds for thousands of good causes, giving moral and emotional support to people with terminal and chronic illnesses, educating people in new languages, exchanging experience of almost every conceivable situation, and there are millions of pages and groups forming what is a thriving animal welfare community, helping those that can't help themselves. Whatever you care about you will find like-minded people on FB and, believe me, if you saw the posts and photos I see every day about the street dogs and cats around the world you wouldn't "like" any of them, many of them would break your heart. FB most certainly isn't "all faux happy clappy love in". "

Scout I think the point you make is valid about social media in general, but this is about QVC. This thread is not directed at situations where social media is a powerful force for good. Sadly, as the instances the various posters have observed show it's also capable of being used in trivial or destructive ways. In many areas of life, the good is drowned out by the negative and stupid... Just as the uses cited in this thread show that the combination of QVC and social media interaction are doomed to reinforce every negative stereotype about social media use. If QVC were using then SM presence to purposefully and professionally promote their brand and their brand values...say, by campaigning to raise funds for their chosen charities, that would perhaps enable this thread to look at both the positive and the negative... And I'm sure most of us would applaud that.

Causes far too many problems and stupid people get sucked in by Fakebook!
I was speaking to a friend about it and she only follows friends & family that she knows! She would never follow a stranger and found that strange!

I Still think it can be dangerous and negative and not interested in it! :mysmilie_48:

Scout I think the point you make is valid about social media in general, but this is about QVC . . . .

Unfortunately, May, as can be seen from the two posts below yours, as well as numerous others in this thread, many posts are widely sweeping condemnations of FB itself, it's rarely confined to QVC. The fact that the condemnation is based on misconceptions, rumours and urban myths is immaterial, heaven forbid the facts should rear their ugly heads. If the assertions were referring to QVC I would probably agree with most of them, and I agree with your comments regarding QVC's use of social media.

Causes far too many problems and stupid people get sucked in by Fakebook!
I was speaking to a friend about it and she only follows friends & family that she knows! She would never follow a stranger and found that strange!

I Still think it can be dangerous and negative and not interested in it! :mysmilie_48:

I can't see what following has to do with anything, if you don't want to follow anyone then don't. You can be extremely active on FB without following anyone at all.

Scout I think the point you make is valid about social media in general, but this is about QVC. This thread is not directed at situations where social media is a powerful force for good. Sadly, as the instances the various posters have observed show it's also capable of being used in trivial or destructive ways. In many areas of life, the good is drowned out by the negative and stupid... Just as the uses cited in this thread show that the combination of QVC and social media interaction are doomed to reinforce every negative stereotype about social media use. If QVC were using then SM presence to purposefully and professionally promote their brand and their brand values...say, by campaigning to raise funds for their chosen charities, that would perhaps enable this thread to look at both the positive and the negative... And I'm sure most of us would applaud that.
Yes I agree with May. I am sure if I lived under a repressive regime I would join social media because that is how you can keep up with the real situation rather than that reported by the state controlled media. Also, you can see when protests will be staged etc. However, we are not discussing geo-politics but QVC and the use of social media in that situation is completely different.

I can't see what following has to do with anything, if you don't want to follow anyone then don't. You can be extremely active on FB without following anyone at all.

Don't know enough about it but thought following people was a big part of FB?
What's the point the point in it, maybe I should join it or maybe not? :mysmilie_8:

Hell, I love Facebook! Aside from the (relatively trivial) 'stalking exes' aspect I mentioned in a previous thread, it's also invaluable in bringing to my attention stuff I'd never know about if it wasn't for the pages I follow posting about said stuff - ranging from silly things like a new Korean zombie film to reading about a humanitarian crisis somewhere in the world I'd never heard about.

Yes, a lot of people/companies use it to promote themselves and their lifestyles/products and fair dos to them but it can also broaden your horizons and of course it allows you to keep in touch with people you may never get a chance to meet again.

Big fan :mysmilie_59:

Latest posts

Back