The plot thickensšŸ¤”

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am a member of a public forum for Crystal Palace FC and have been for years. It is a bastion of double moral standards in my view. Overtly politically correct in many of the more right on areas of today (taking the knee..etc..) but when the mood suits and the victim is ā€˜up for itā€™, bitter, unsympathetic and deeply cutting. I remember when Jade Goody died a thread was started on the ā€˜General Discussionā€™ section about her death. A view was taken that because she appeared loud and brash and said something they took as racist once on Indian Big Brother (as I recall) she somehow deserved to die of cancer at an extremely young age, leaving young children without a mother. It seemed to me to some on there, she got what was coming to her and rightly so. That, I have to say, physically sickened me, and I posted in no uncertain terms my disagreement and disappointment with those views. Needless to say, whenever you question a tribal view in football, you get verbally hunted down for it, but I wasnā€™t prepared to see the death of a young woman treated as a huge joke because it suited the PC stance of a group of often hugely ignorant and at times, hateful football fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evil minded people are always around us. If you enjoy reading the majority of posts in the group you belong to, isn't it better to ignore the posts you don't like? I'm saddened, sometimes sickened to read the views of intellectually stunted people, with whom some others on the group agree, but I blot it out as best I can. I must admit, though, sometimes it takes time to forget the comments or photos. They do tend to stay with you. Do you equate a political 'informer' to a QVC, gossipy shopper? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?
Sometimes, yes, but if you profoundly disagree with the views expressed, and those views are offensiveā€¦ and you have taken steps to address this but nothing gets doneā€¦ you do need to vote with your feet.
Lie down with dogs and you get fleas (no offence to dogs, itā€™s just an expression).

Regarding Facebook, last year I joined a group relating to the area in London I was born. It was a place to share anecdotes, old photos etc, it was really good. Then a couple of people started making racist comments about people living in the area now which led to vile abusive comments between members. Site admin did nothing. I came out of the group as that's not what I signed up for. Such a shame because people posted some great stuff particularly old photos.
I'm in a FB group regarding our town and it's starting to get just like that blaming immigrants and having a good pop at the council as well.

Sometimes, yes, but if you profoundly disagree with the views expressed, and those views are offensiveā€¦ and you have taken steps to address this but nothing gets doneā€¦ you do need to vote with your feet.
Lie down with dogs and you get fleas (no offence to dogs, itā€™s just an expression).
My dogs are not offended!

I'm in a FB group regarding our town and it's starting to get just like that blaming immigrants and having a good pop at the council as well.
These kinds of arguments are depressingly familiar.
Councils may be fair game, but itā€™s not always that straightforward. Councils are often very poorly prepared and resourced for a sudden influx of new peopleā€¦ especially when the services they need may involve mental health services and language skillsā€¦ thatā€™s partly due to the UKā€™s world-class muddling along on a wing and a prayer approach to all crises in my opinion. Be it a war or a pandemic government after government (of all political complexions) relies on the generosity, goodwill and ingenuity of the British people rather than actually planning and preparing.
In the current cost of living crisis, those people are all out of anything to give for others when they desperately need the same help themselves.
I think it suits the government at all levels to employ ā€œlook over thereā€ tactics to distract from the speed and size of their response to the C.O.L. crisis and direct resentment to immigration as the problem.
Yet across the UK and the world we see the positive benefits of new citizens, not just the negatives highlighted by the anti-immigrationists.

Evil minded people are always around us. If you enjoy reading the majority of posts in the group you belong to, isn't it better to ignore the posts you don't like? I'm saddened, sometimes sickened to read the views of intellectually stunted people, with whom some others on the group agree, but I blot it out as best I can. I must admit, though, sometimes it takes time to forget the comments or photos. They do tend to stay with you. Do you equate a political 'informer' to a QVC, gossipy shopper? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?
It's a difficult one because I did like group and the old photos, but virtually every post or photo led to something negative. From sarcasm, rudeness to downright abusive comments. There were some people on there with too much time on their hands just trying to get a reaction from people. There are evil minded people around but I didn't want to be a part of it. I felt that by staying in the group I was condoning their behaviour so I left.

These kinds of arguments are depressingly familiar.
Councils may be fair game, but itā€™s not always that straightforward. Councils are often very poorly prepared and resourced for a sudden influx of new peopleā€¦ especially when the services they need may involve mental health services and language skillsā€¦ thatā€™s partly due to the UKā€™s world-class muddling along on a wing and a prayer approach to all crises in my opinion. Be it a war or a pandemic government after government (of all political complexions) relies on the generosity, goodwill and ingenuity of the British people rather than actually planning and preparing.
In the current cost of living crisis, those people are all out of anything to give for others when they desperately need the same help themselves.
I think it suits the government at all levels to employ ā€œlook over thereā€ tactics to distract from the speed and size of their response to the C.O.L. crisis and direct resentment to immigration as the problem.
Yet across the UK and the world we see the positive benefits of new citizens, not just the negatives highlighted by the anti-immigrationists.
If the gvt allowed the immigrants to actually stay (where appropriate) & work, they would be able to fill the jobs that brexit left open & unfilled - hospitality, NHS, teaching ,care, fruit pickers. Then they could pay tax, contribute to the economy, earn a living & not be in detention centres or hotels costing millions.
Thousands of people in hospital blocking beds currently because there is no social care available to those who need help at home. No one will do the jobs left empty after Brexit.
This is why the ambulances are all parked up with patients in them waiting 6 hours to be seen (yes really) The car parks are triage wards, & so few ambulances available to attend calls (9 hours for an 89 y/o lady with broken hip 2 weeks ago)

Of course, employing the immigrants would make 51% (brexiteers) of the UK public very cross. They voted Brexit because 'they take our jobs' (amongst other inaccurate & nonsensical 'reasons') Someone can only 'take something' if you own it in the first place....Grrrrrrr

I voted remain, so this **** storm isn't my fault. No one dares admit to voting leave now.. I expect they are ashamed.

Gvt blames it all on pandemic....I don't think so.

Rant over.

If the gvt allowed the immigrants to actually stay (where appropriate) & work, they would be able to fill the jobs that brexit left open & unfilled - hospitality, NHS, teaching ,care, fruit pickers. Then they could pay tax, contribute to the economy, earn a living & not be in detention centres or hotels costing millions.
Thousands of people in hospital blocking beds currently because there is no social care available to those who need help at home. No one will do the jobs left empty after Brexit.
This is why the ambulances are all parked up with patients in them waiting 6 hours to be seen (yes really) The car parks are triage wards, & so few ambulances available to attend calls (9 hours for an 89 y/o lady with broken hip 2 weeks ago)

Of course, employing the immigrants would make 51% (brexiteers) of the UK public very cross. They voted Brexit because 'they take our jobs' (amongst other inaccurate & nonsensical 'reasons') Someone can only 'take something' if you own it in the first place....Grrrrrrr

I voted remain, so this **** storm isn't my fault. No one dares admit to voting leave now.. I expect they are ashamed.

Rant over.
Well saidā€¦. And I totally agreeā€¦

Rant over.
Spot on, Sister, couldn't agree more.

Well, at the moment they cannot get enough doctors or nurses now the government wants to cut down on the training time making it shorter. That will do nothing because no one wants to be a GP now. Here in N.I. quite a lot they are just returning the keys to practice and leaving, and they cannot get replacements. Patients then being sent to another overcrowded practice.

Strange but true fruit and veg picking is not just a case of sending them out into the fields. It is actually something learnt over years of doing it. I remember the farmers having to get rid of British workers wanting to do it as they were ruining more than picked. I know now they are saying the visas given are too short time period wise, as different fruit and veg have different time periods. The farmers wanting the government to extend the 6-month visa. Food is rotting in the fields because it cannot be picked in time.

The rules set for immigrants who must have a certain wage-earning amount and this has been said is too high, so the normal jobs just do not pay that. People coming over in the boats illegal do not have the job skills, they are just poor, will not have the skill set to be a nurse or a doctor. The UK government had the well, technology is the way for the UK. That does bugger all for everyday things making bread, growing food. And with the trade deal with Australia and New Zealand we will be getting loads of meat pumped full of antibiotics and bugging the local farmers who will not be able to sell their products as cheaply.

I voted remain and talking with a friend at the time, we both said this will turn into a total Sh*t show. And hell slap it up them.

Rant over.
Totally agree and now we have people unable to get their statins which are, allegedly, being held up by Dover customs. Now the price has gone from 49p to Ā£5.23 or something. Useless government not doing enough to help unless it's going to help them or their cronies.
We wish we were under 40 and would wave goodbye to this sorry country be like a third world country before long.

I travelled back from Nice Airport on Monday, stuck in an extremely long queue of ex-EU British for Passport Control on a sweltering afternoon. My God, the EU passports only empty lane looked so enticing. Having been a vociferous exponent for Brexit at the time, all I can regrettably say isā€¦careful what you wish forā€¦

Yes, I am on a number of meds, and it is pot luck if you can get them when re-ordering prescriptions. I have no problem taking generic versions, but some they do not make or only one wholesaler in the UK will stock. The one that freaked me out was my asthma inhaler, I said okay get a different brand, but it was the 100 in any brand that was unable! I was lucky as I always order early and had one I just started, but it took over a week to get it to the chemist, trying different warehouses in the UK. My chemist even has a notice asking people please do not get angry with us, we are trying, it may take longer to get your medication due to shortages.

The Duke of Cheese, most people here in N.I. went and got themselves an Irish Passport. We can hold both Irish and UK passports, that means no time limit on how long you stay anywhere in Europe.

Yes, my late wife used to tell me to get an Irish passport. She was of full Irish blood, but born her. Her mother was born in Galway, so she got one that way. My mother was Irish but born in the UK, though I believe I could have got one still, as my Motherā€™s father was born in Ireland. I should have pursued itā€¦maybe I still will. She always told me showing her Irish passport got a much better reception abroad for her than when she travelled on a British one.

Yes, I am on a number of meds, and it is pot luck if you can get them when re-ordering prescriptions. I have no problem taking generic versions, but some they do not make or only one wholesaler in the UK will stock. The one that freaked me out was my asthma inhaler, I said okay get a different brand, but it was the 100 in any brand that was unable! I was lucky as I always order early and had one I just started, but it took over a week to get it to the chemist, trying different warehouses in the UK. My chemist even has a notice asking people please do not get angry with us, we are trying, it may take longer to get your medication due to shortages.

The Duke of Cheese, most people here in N.I. went and got themselves an Irish Passport. We can hold both Irish and UK passports, that means no time limit on how long you stay anywhere in Europe.
Don't forget the obnoxious grinning Farage got himself a German passport. Two faced git.

Oh, I remember yes the freedom to get our own trade deals will be so much better for the UK. I on a number of discussion forums said, so the US take one looks around for a trade deal. Will they go for the EU, with 26/27 countries ready to trade on the UK? Of course, they will go with the EU, bigger profits for them than the UK. I remember even Trump told Bois, oh yes we will have a trade deal, but it has to be good for the US. Still no trade deal.

The Tory government, the morons like JRM seem to live in the past where the UK was this big trading and powerful nation, think Victorian times. The only country that rushed and happy to give a deal was India in return loads of their students being allowed to come and study here. Which made many Brexiteers scream in outrage. šŸ˜‚

Latest posts

Back