These Beauty Bloggers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Glittergirl

Registered Shopper
Have been doing some research for a friend who's keen to start a Blog as she is very clued up in this field and knows her brands extremely well!

What is about these two Bloggers who constantly Post QVC only brands? Do they work for them or are they relatives of someone in the know?
They seem obsessed with Q and some Presenters??? OMG!!!
Boring and mundane reviews, yawn!

Does anyone else have similar thoughts? It seems a very fickle and false world but don't want to put my friend off her passion! :mysmilie_852::mysmilie_852::mysmilie_852:

It's impossible to be unbiased as a beauty blogger, in my opinion, unless you are doing it all for free and buying all the products yourself.

If you want to build it up as a "business" and make some money from it (or get freebies from brands to try) then there will always be an element of cosying up to brands.

Once a blogger builds up a presence on the net then brands will start to send them things to try. If the blogger is completely honest about something that they think is rubbish then the brand is hardly going to continue sending them freebies. If the blogger says something great about a brand then the brand will start sending them more products to review.

I can't believe people fall for it, to be honest.

Yes they're definitely friends or relatives of employees, because I think it'd be hard to break in to that tight knit circle otherwise, that's how Queen Julia and Chuntleys daughters work there. You should ask these "bloggers" what first attracted you to the multi million pound profit retailer that is QVC who'll give out freebies if you say you love them enough?

Their "bloggers" are similar to Alison "resident beauty expert" Young who, when asked advice, will only recommend QVCs mostly American beauty products, so to me she's actually the resident beauty presenter, not expert. She's paid by QVC so will only recommend QVCs beauty products, QVC beauty bloggers get free products from them, so will always recommend QVCs beauty products.

It's impossible to be unbiased as a beauty blogger, in my opinion, unless you are doing it all for free and buying all the products yourself.

If you want to build it up as a "business" and make some money from it (or get freebies from brands to try) then there will always be an element of cosying up to brands.

Once a blogger builds up a presence on the net then brands will start to send them things to try. If the blogger is completely honest about something that they think is rubbish then the brand is hardly going to continue sending them freebies. If the blogger says something great about a brand then the brand will start sending them more products to review.

I can't believe people fall for it, to be honest.

Ellaaa, I agree with you regarding most of the bloggers out there - as you say, it's nigh on impossible to break into the business without schmoozing the brands and it's only really established bloggers like Caroline Hirons and Temptalia who can be completely unbiased as they are so established.

As someone who will occasionally turn to blog reviews just to see swatches etc etc, Glittergirl, I think what your friend needs to do is concentrate on the brands she really does rate (as at least it won't be viewed as disingenuous when she raves about them) and establish herself as the font of knowledge for those brands. I think bloggers tend to spread themselves too thin (how can they possibly use all of those products they review????) to cover all bases, thereby diminishing their credibility. Just a thought but good luck to your friend, the beauty world needs more impartial bloggers!!!!

The ones you see mentioned on QVC FB are groupies, who seem to get the stuff free from QVC(yes it is who you know) in their case.

The British Beauty Blogger does stuff on what is going on inside the business. She did an article last year about how cut throat blogging/vlogging is now. The companies demand you toe the line. She did not mention the brand but one who she thought she had a good relationship with did not take kindly to her honest opinion on one of their products. Hence the brand was no longer reviewed by her. She is of the view your readers deserve an honest unbiased opinion. The reps are very very very hard sell on making bloggers/Vloggers pushing products. The professional bloggers/vloggers actually make a living from doing this.

Take last year's Jaclyn Hill/Becca scandal, the collection was sold because of her name being on the collection. Then sh*t hit the fan because Becca trusted her and she was stupid about sourcing the products etc.

I have heard of bloggers/vloggers begging companies for products and swearing they will give great reviews before they even arrive.

The US ones do tend to buy their own. A older lady Best Things in Beauty is excellent, due to ill health she has stopped since early December. Christine/Templatia is another honest blogger. She loves MAC yet last year gave certain new releases an F, that sent shock waves! :mysmilie_17:

Seems everyone is jumping on the blogging bandwagon. I think if AY was a proper beauty expert she should of got involved years ago and QVC missed a trick. Its not the same having Will doing the reveals with the brands.

It never ceases to amaze me that people can actually make a living doing this stuff

It never ceases to amaze me that people can actually make a living doing this stuff

Its big money for a few, you can tell the ones who make a lot they do videos showing their new designer handbags or jewellery which cost ££££££. I don't agree with the ones who vlog their young kids daily seems wrong to me.

I think if you go into blogging with a view to getting freebies it's a slippery slope... Before you know it you are just free advertising at bargain basement prices for the brands. You have to be prepared to buy the products you review yourself much of the time... And find other ways of funding the blog, if you want to be independent and have integrity.

The two usual suspects get their egos stroked by presenters and guests name-checking them on air... They get previews of new beauty products including TSVs... The value of what they are doing, if they had any credibility, would be significant. A TV commercial spot can be worth tens of thousands... But when you let yourself get bought lock stock and barrel for a couple of hundred quid a year... who is the winner?

Seems everyone is jumping on the blogging bandwagon. I think if AY was a proper beauty expert she should of got involved years ago and QVC missed a trick. Its not the same having Will doing the reveals with the brands.

We agree with this and seems overload with Bloggers now!

At least my friend has over 35 years experience with the market and funnily enough she rarely uses QVC brands! Got her own mind and preferences! Appreciate everyone's input :mysmilie_59:

I think if you go into blogging with a view to getting freebies it's a slippery slope... Before you know it you are just free advertising at bargain basement prices for the brands. You have to be prepared to buy the products you review yourself much of the time... And find other ways of funding the blog, if you want to be independent and have integrity.

The two usual suspects get their egos stroked by presenters and guests name-checking them on air... They get previews of new beauty products including TSVs... The value of what they are doing, if they had any credibility, would be significant. A TV commercial spot can be worth tens of thousands... But when you let yourself get bought lock stock and barrel for a couple of hundred quid a year... who is the winner?

Integrity, Dignity and Pride seem to go out of the window with some of these Bloggers! It's embarrassing and shows their class or lack of it! :mysmilie_468::mysmilie_468::mysmilie_468:

Its big money for a few, you can tell the ones who make a lot they do videos showing their new designer handbags or jewellery which cost ££££££. I don't agree with the ones who vlog their young kids daily seems wrong to me.

Some of these Vlogs are awful! Said Blogger posted a Chinese Meal with family and it was truly embarrassing! She hasn't got a clue and drags on other people's coat tales! Move on Girl! :mysmilie_867:

We agree with this and seems overload with Bloggers now!

At least my friend has over 35 years experience with the market and funnily enough she rarely uses QVC brands! Got her own mind and preferences! Appreciate everyone's input :mysmilie_59:

The right sort of blogger is always welcome... The ligger variety, not so much!

Thanks, this has been interesting!

:mysmilie_59:Refreshing to know what we all really think of the Groupie ones/suppose we don't take them serious enough with their superficial reviews and posts! Keep it real is always the way forward!

I like Mrs Gingers beauty channel, nadine baggit, hot and flashy, and Wayne Goss on YouTube. All seem to do reviews that I tend to agree with when I get around to trying a product . I used to like Caroline Hirins but although I think she dies maje some good points about skin care generally , her hatred of certain things I love ( estee Lauder advanced night repair being one ) and her obsession with expensive products puts me off. I've also seen her do infomercials for Asda where she will rave about their own line, but you would never see her use it in any of her vlogs etc- pretty dusengrnuous to me . She receives caseloads of product all the time to try out.
Sali Hughes I find to be very good, and loved her two books. I always read her Saturday column in the guardian and love her forum as well .

I occasionally read the bigger well known Bloggers! I find too many are now cropping up and don't give honest enough reviews! Have seen some Bloggers mention this too!

A lot of them are very samey and not very creative! They do like to copy each other! :mysmilie_17:

I'll believe Elvis is alive before I believe a QVC blogger, especially Fibby Flints bestie Sharon, I'd also believe Father Christmas is real before I ever believed a word from her.

Disclaimer......I don't read blogs, presenter blogs, guest presenter blogs, beauty blogs, any blogs really. :mysmilie_17:

I occasionally read the bigger well known Bloggers! I find too many are now cropping up and don't give honest enough reviews! Have seen some Bloggers mention this too!

A lot of them are very samey and not very creative! They do like to copy each other! :mysmilie_17:
I agree about them being samey. I stopped reading a couple of years ago because they were all getting too self indulgent and believing people were reading because they were interested in them and their lives, rather than for reading their beauty reviews. When they all started talking about what they'd had for tea, or their children, or their latest ailment that they'd been to the GP with... I gave up! who cares?! Your blog is supposed to be about beauty!

I will say this about the British Beauty Blogger, never once in the two years I have been reading her has she mentioned family or home life.

Christine/Temptalia does put up weekly photos of her dog, he usually just hanging out having fun. It started when she got him as a puppy and people asked for a photo and it just continued. He is a Labrador.

British Beauty Blogger is just about the only exception (not including professional journalists like Sali Hughes), virtually all of the other big blog names do.

Latest posts

Back