Toshiba Journe 6x4 Photo Compact Scanner

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi all,

My scanner has arrived from QVC and I've scanned about 50 photos so far. Results are excellent and it was well worth the investment.

Scanning takes 30 seconds per photo, 5 seconds to feed through and 25 seconds for the processing and then the machine is available for the next photo to be scanned.

When I watched the video presentation on QVC, the scan interval was if I recall much shorter than 30 seconds and I have a suspicion that they may have used a machine set up differently to the production model.

I am sure that they were feeding the photos in one after the other in the demonstration on TV but it is not possible to do that in reality, as the machine just will not accept the next photo until the processing for the previous photo has completed and all lights have stopped flashing.

Unfortunately I have deleted my Sky+ recording of the QVC presentation and the video has also been deleted from the QVC site.

If QVC have use a 'doctored' model then that's a bit cheeky of them. I shall write to them for their comments.

I would be interested to hear how others get on with their scanners. Maybe mine is an earlier version and the electronics have been updated in subsequent models.

Some posts have mentioned white lines appearing, but this just means that the device needs cleaning; do that and you get a cracking image. They may also be on the original photo and could be being accentuated by the scanning process.

Bear in mind that your source photos are unlikely to have a high resolution to start with so don't try to compare them with the multi-megapixel photos that anyone can take these days.

The scanner could do with having a better automatic electronic file numbering software as when it is powered down, the numbering resets and checks the number of the last file and sets the new scan number one above that. If you then drag that file into another folder there may already be a photo in there with the same number so the file has to be renamed. You have to make sure that you don't inadvertently replace other photos with the same number. Most digital cameras have software with a sequential numbering system that doesn't get reset and the device would benefit by having that system incorporated.

It takes a minimum of 30 seconds per photo and to scan 120 in an hour takes quite a bit of concentration - quite difficult to do while watching TV as they suggested in the presentation unless it is a soap of course, which doesn't require much brainpower! (;<)) :3:

Despite the above niggles, it's a cracking little device, and it is little and a bit overpriced, in my opinion it is worth the money for the ease and simplicity of use and the excellent results that can be obtained.

I can see loads of old photos being dragged out of shoeboxes and being shown on 42 inch widescreen TVs much to everyone's embarrassment.

The QVC price has gone up since the TSV and once the product goes on general distribution next month then it will drop, but for shear convenience over a flatbed scanner and at 30 seconds per photo scanned, it can't be beat.

Regards - Eric

Thank you for that very informative post EricF, I didn't succumb when it was the TSV but I've got a feeling I will get one before very long.

Welcome to the MadHouse too, it's great fun here.

Hi all,

My scanner has arrived from QVC and I've scanned about 50 photos so far. Results are excellent and it was well worth the investment.

Scanning takes 30 seconds per photo, 5 seconds to feed through and 25 seconds for the processing and then the machine is available for the next photo to be scanned.

When I watched the video presentation on QVC, the scan interval was if I recall much shorter than 30 seconds and I have a suspicion that they may have used a machine set up differently to the production model.

I am sure that they were feeding the photos in one after the other in the demonstration on TV but it is not possible to do that in reality, as the machine just will not accept the next photo until the processing for the previous photo has completed and all lights have stopped flashing.

Unfortunately I have deleted my Sky+ recording of the QVC presentation and the video has also been deleted from the QVC site.

If QVC have use a 'doctored' model then that's a bit cheeky of them. I shall write to them for their comments.

I would be interested to hear how others get on with their scanners. Maybe mine is an earlier version and the electronics have been updated in subsequent models.

Some posts have mentioned white lines appearing, but this just means that the device needs cleaning; do that and you get a cracking image. They may also be on the original photo and could be being accentuated by the scanning process.

Bear in mind that your source photos are unlikely to have a high resolution to start with so don't try to compare them with the multi-megapixel photos that anyone can take these days.

The scanner could do with having a better automatic electronic file numbering software as when it is powered down, the numbering resets and checks the number of the last file and sets the new scan number one above that. If you then drag that file into another folder there may already be a photo in there with the same number so the file has to be renamed. You have to make sure that you don't inadvertently replace other photos with the same number. Most digital cameras have software with a sequential numbering system that doesn't get reset and the device would benefit by having that system incorporated.

It takes a minimum of 30 seconds per photo and to scan 120 in an hour takes quite a bit of concentration - quite difficult to do while watching TV as they suggested in the presentation unless it is a soap of course, which doesn't require much brainpower! (;<)) :3:

Despite the above niggles, it's a cracking little device, and it is little and a bit overpriced, in my opinion it is worth the money for the ease and simplicity of use and the excellent results that can be obtained.

I can see loads of old photos being dragged out of shoeboxes and being shown on 42 inch widescreen TVs much to everyone's embarrassment.

The QVC price has gone up since the TSV and once the product goes on general distribution next month then it will drop, but for shear convenience over a flatbed scanner and at 30 seconds per photo scanned, it can't be beat.

Regards - Eric

I have just timed mine (which is all in perfect working order too with no lines) and it takes about 12s - 5s for the scan and 7s before it is readyy for the next picture.

I got mine yesterday too. It is quite slow with the supplied SD card but my camera takes Compact Flash and I have a fast 2 Gb CF card which I tried. I was amazed how fast it was - literally 2 or 3 seconds to process a photo and on to the next.

Hi EricF. In light of what you said I timed mine and it takes about 25 seconds in total - 5 + 20. When I got it on Thursday my first reaction was that it seemed to be taking a long time compared to the demonstrations but I was pleased with the results particularly after reading the link to the reviews about the USA equivalent on QVC.com. As the others who have replied to you seem to have scanners that do the whole job very quickly I hope there is nothing wrong with yours and mine. Hopefully other people might also reply with a note of how long theirs take.

Hi all,

Regards - Eric

I don't believe they would use a doctored model but who knows.I've always found them above board and doing that certainly wouldn't be.That said the product itself is fantastic.So much so that it's pushed me into motion as far as doing somethiung about the thousands of old photos that I have at home,and prompted me to buy image editing software.
I agree that it 's not feeding through as quickly as they showed on TV and I don't know why.Am I bothered? ..Well no not really.It's still and awesome product.
The only thing I would like to see ,is an improvement on maximum size photo it allows you to feed it,and the DPI which is about 300 I think.Other than that,it's a great poroduct.

I got mine yesterday too. It is quite slow with the supplied SD card but my camera takes Compact Flash and I have a fast 2 Gb CF card which I tried. I was amazed how fast it was - literally 2 or 3 seconds to process a photo and on to the next.

Thats very interesting.Do you need an adaptor for the CF card on the Toshiba,or will it just take that type of card in the available slot without the need for an adaptor?

I watched the video of the demonstration on QVC.com of the similar item they are selling in America. The photographs were often put through while the lights were still flashing. Maybe that was what they were doing in the demonstration of the Toshiba which would have made it look quicker than it actually is. Ryan, could I ask you how long yours takes to go through? I wasn't too bothered either until I read that other people were getting theirs through in about half the time.

I watched the video of the demonstration on QVC.com of the similar item they are selling in America. The photographs were often put through while the lights were still flashing. Maybe that was what they were doing in the demonstration of the Toshiba which would have made it look quicker than it actually is. Ryan, could I ask you how long yours takes to go through? I wasn't too bothered either until I read that other people were getting theirs through in about half the time.

Well,first off,I have to wait until the light goes a steady green,the I can feed one picture through the machine and it takes about 6 seconds,but after one goes through,the lights start flashing again,and I have to wait for the arrow to go a steady green once again before I can feed the next one in.So ,I can scan a picture in about 6 seconds.Then it takes approximately another 25 seconds for it to reset ( if thats what it's doing) before the light goes steady green again..which then allows me to scan again..and so on.
That certainly isn't what was shown in the demo on air.I think I'll ask custiomer service if they can either tell me the answer or put me on to someone who can. I mean had I not seen the demo ,I would have been fine with what it's doing,and the extra 25 seconds each time is not a big deal,but it was sold on a different premise so I'd like to know what they did differently on air and I'm sure you would too.

Thanks for info Ryan. I think your timings work out much the same as Eric's and mine. I would love to know what they say but I wouldn't have the nerve to ask myself. It doesn't seem much but an extra 20 seconds or so soon mounts up when you have a lot of photos to scan. The people who replied to this thread earlier are very lucky to have machines which do it much quicker.

Thats very interesting.Do you need an adaptor for the CF card on the Toshiba,or will it just take that type of card in the available slot without the need for an adaptor?

No you don't need an adapter - there is a CF slot and an SD slot, and you can use either. I wonder if some were supplied with a faster SD card? The (slow) card which came with mine is a blue unbranded one.

No you don't need an adapter - there is a CF slot and an SD slot, and you can use either. I wonder if some were supplied with a faster SD card? The (slow) card which came with mine is a blue unbranded one.

My scanner came with the same card.Blue unbranded.I would think that the cards provided were uniform .I didn't even see that there was a CF slot( I have now) and don't know if when they were doing the live demo, they used a CF or an SD.I'll try and find out why the TV demo was different.

The one that came with mine was blue as well

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

using negatives

Nobody has brought this up yet but Claudia mentioned twice (on other shows) that you can sort your negatives with the scanner too. Have I got that wrong?
My scanner takes about the same time as everyone else's. I'll time it properly though just to compare and it has the unnamed 2gb card. I've used it for some of my photos in a flip over albumn. I was going to do all the albumns too but the sticky stuff they use to keep the photos in place is coming off in long threads and may harm the toshiba scanner so I am reluctant to use it. I thought I would scan all the photos I have in albumns and then put them on to discs/external hard drive. I am going to make an albumn each for my three daughters and am trying to decide which photos to place in them.

The one that came with mine was blue as well

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

My SD card is a Toshiba branded one.

Mine is slow. it takes a while for the green light to stop flashing before you can feed in the next photo. I scanned about 500 in a night though.Much faster than the flatbed scanner .Wish it took 5x7 though

I've been away for a while and I'm now able to add my latest findings.

The SD card supplied with my scanner is Toshiba branded with the words 2GB above the SD logo with the words SD Memory Card underneath. Using that card takes 30 seconds from inserting the photo to the lights ceasing to flash.

Using a 4Gb SanDisk Ultra II SD card (which takes 20 seconds to be recognised by the scanner), from inserting the photo to the lights ceasing to flash takes 10 seconds and the rate of processing a set of photos is now just as demonstrated on the QVC TV product demonstration.

It now so much more satisfying to use as it is now possible to contnuously process a set of photos without having the 30 second wait between photos.

I did say previously that I felt that QVC were doing something with their demonstration scanner which was different to the supplied item, so now I have discovered the problem I shall be writing to them for their comments.

I hope this helps others on this forum.

Latest posts

Back