What sayings do you hate?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I'll admit that I've become immune to "It is what it is" Everybody "turning round" before they say anything, though that's died down a bit I think, and I'm even ok with people saying "REALLY?"

The thing that makes me cringe the most is when watching any kind of show whether it be live or on television and the compere/presenter loudly announces "Ladies and gentlemen, (name of person) IS IN DA HOUSE!" It happens on game shows, chat shows, music shows and it seems to be happening more and more. It actually makes my skin crawl - I wish they'd stop it. I've heard it twice already this week once on dancing on ice, and then on next level chef (rubbish show but there's nothing else on)!

Bless and love them to bits should return as hanging offences. Enjoy is also hugely disembowelment without a general anaesthetic suitable for any offenders using the term. Simples should be an immediate phosphorus bath with no appeal.

I also can't stand sentences that start with "I ain't gonna lie" - I know it means exactly the same as "to be honest/quite honestly" but the former sounds so ****** chavvy. Thankfully some annoying sayings disappear almost as soon as they arrive eg, "$hit the bed", "shut the front door" - I've always stuck to "Blimey or good heavens/grief" - Maybe they were annoying phrases way back when! Whilst I'm here I'm not very keen on "Don't even go there" - It sounds so aggressive!

Not really a saying but any welcome beginning with ‘You Guys‘ is immensely annoying when you are a male and female couple arriving for a meal etc.. Wretched Americanisms infesting UK culture.

Not really a saying but any welcome beginning with ‘You Guys‘ is immensely annoying when you are a male and female couple arriving for a meal etc.. Wretched Americanisms infesting UK culture.
That has just reminded me of a cringeworthy moment when a colleague addressed a mixed group like so - "Hey, listen up you guys" when she had some tasty gossip that she wanted to impart, you could almost hear people's hackles going up.
Why do people have to start sentences or answer questions with the word "so" these days? It is SO annoying!
Not only is it the Americanisms that have crept into our language, these Godawful reality shows are responsible for some of these words and phrases that I for one can't ever imagine using in a million years eg, Muggy, mugged off, banging etc.

I know this sounds really nasty, but for some reason I can't stand the word "mummy" I think it sounds so twee and sickly. I hear it quite a lot as I work in one of the "posher" supermarkets. "Mummy, please can I have a croissant"? "Romily, please MAY I have" "Mummy, please may I have a croissant?" "No, you may not" - aggggh!

'Sift and gift' gets on my wick. Alexis from L'Occitane started it and now it seems like they're all at it.

At the end of the day..Just sayin’…Let’s have a CONVERSATION…Backstory…

When the fasionistas say, 'It's on trend, but it's not trendy.'. And when they describe something as being, 'Goldilocks.'
I'm guessing they mean just right, never heard that before. I don't mind on trend but "bang on trend" - Agggh. Apparently floral midi/maxi frocks are out and it's all about the separates, even though it's been said in some of the articles I've read that these frocks are versatile and look equally good worn with trainers, chunky boots, as they do with sandals and flip flops. Also that they give the wearer a put together look with no effort - What's not to love?! Cue pages of tailored trousers, shirts, belts, buttons buckles, gilets and jackets - b0ll0x to that!!!
Fashionista is another word that grates on me - Sheep would be a better description. I have no interest in fashion other that not wishing to look like a frump or a clown!

I'm guessing they mean just right, never heard that before. I don't mind on trend but "bang on trend" - Agggh. Apparently floral midi/maxi frocks are out and it's all about the separates, even though it's been said in some of the articles I've read that these frocks are versatile and look equally good worn with trainers, chunky boots, as they do with sandals and flip flops. Also that they give the wearer a put together look with no effort - What's not to love?! Cue pages of tailored trousers, shirts, belts, buttons buckles, gilets and jackets - b0ll0x to that!!!
Fashionista is another word that grates on me - Sheep would be a better description. I have no interest in fashion other that not wishing to look like a frump or a clown!
Yes, they explain being 'Goldilocks' as being just right. It's a silly comparison, imo because nothing can be just right for everyone.

Latest posts

Back