Which words/phrases would you bann?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl;704026 o mine for dinner said:
]If anyone comes tBut what if they bring flaaars? Are you gonna say: "Go shove yer plastic flaaars and get down Lidle for a bottle of red and don't come back until you;ve got it!?"

"Simplistic" when they mean simple - such a negative connotation. But I suppose the extra syllable fills more time.

And literally when they don't mean literally at all. "This is literally a lifesaver"

AAAAARRRRRGH

when they ALL say ..."and itsonly ...such and such pounds"! ......erm no its not... add the post and package ...thats we have to pay:angry:

The one that always gets the raised eyebrow from me is "I know your going to love it/this.." As if. Again it is overused by JF.

You can just imagine the scenario, meeting a friend in town with a new qvc handbag, "Oh that's a very unusual bag you've got there Murial" , "Oh do you like it Winifred, to be honest I'm still not sure about it myself, but I was watching qvc and the presenter said she knew I was going to love it, so I took her word for it, and placed an order. To be honest I'm not sure if canary yellow is really my colour, but sometime you have to trust others in these matters." "Oh well it certainly is different Murial I'll give her that! Hows your husband did that cream from the doctor help his itch any?"

:rolleyes:

Oh another one! Not a biggie but it annoys me when i hear it.

When AY is talking about the lightest foundation shade in a range and she says,

"Yes there are people paler than me, believe it or not!"

It's so narcissistic.

I believe it Alison, I do, because - shock horror - I am someone paler than you.

It has to be ...............................................AND I KID YOU NOT, by the one and only Jill Franks (stop it Jill, its not big and its not clever!)

"Secure Your Purchase"

Simon Biagi's use of, and the emphasis he puts on, the word AND over and over as he lists the attributes of a product

Lol! It's like the Miele washing machine (costing about £1500 or some utterly sky high price). "This isn't really a washing machine, (!) it's an INVESTMENT! By the way you can wash a daffodil in it!" I don't know about other people but I consider a washing machine to be a functional item that serves an important purpose. I would take care to choose one of reasonable quality but under no circumstances would I consider it an "investment." I may invest in a house, or a flat, or a bungalow, or some shares, or a pension plan, but not in a ****** washing machine that is capable of washing a daffodil! Why would anyone want to do that anyway?

could i just add...."to be honest with you"' alway makes me wince ....

Oh yes, I hate that one. Always make me think: So you're not normally honest then? You're doing me a favour, huh, by being "honest" with me. I still prefer it to Jill Franks's "I kid you not!"

The thing is, if we did ban these words and phrases, what would they say instead? Jill Franks would have to breather normally instead of her half second gasp!

I always remember Jilly Halliday once saying (about a silver key charm like the one below)

http://www.vintage925.com/birthdays/57-vintage-silver-charm-of-a-21st-birthday-key.html

"To be honest with you it's not the sort of piece you would take out or wear much. You would just keep it in a drawer." She looked at the item with such disgust. What she was really saying was: "This item is totally hideous and you wouldn't be seen dead with it."

Latest posts

Back