Yankee Candle flame

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I absolutely adore yankee, followed closely by prices candles. I have just started to burn a large housewarmer jar apple candle and, despite the fact that I have trimmed the wick, the flame is quite high and, consequently, turning the vase behind it (now moved) black, which never used to happen. Any ideas what the problem is?
Also, I am considering purchasing a lid for my candles, not for it's aesthetic value, but the practicality. I think it was the yankee guest (not Rosa) who said the shade helps protect the flame and ensure it burns correctly. Anyone use a shade and, if so, do you find it has any benefits? They are not cheap and, as I am not bothered about the decorative aspect, I will only spend the money on one if they will allow me to enjoy my candles more.

I absolutely adore yankee, followed closely by prices candles. I have just started to burn a large housewarmer jar apple candle and, despite the fact that I have trimmed the wick, the flame is quite high and, consequently, turning the vase behind it (now moved) black, which never used to happen. Any ideas what the problem is?
Also, I am considering purchasing a lid for my candles, not for it's aesthetic value, but the practicality. I think it was the yankee guest (not Rosa) who said the shade helps protect the flame and ensure it burns correctly. Anyone use a shade and, if so, do you find it has any benefits? They are not cheap and, as I am not bothered about the decorative aspect, I will only spend the money on one if they will allow me to enjoy my candles more.

hi there,
i always burn my jars with a shade on, the shade not only protects the candle flame from any draughts, which causes sooting, but also ensures an even burn. if you find that the sooting problem persists, a little tip is to trim your wick, then wipe the wick with a damp cloth that has a little fairy liquid on it, strange but it works........... :)

I burnt Yankee jars for years ... never ever managed to get an even burn no matter what I did, always had black soot around the rim of the jar and even noticed black on the wall and ceiling above and around the candle. All this inspite of burning for the required number of hours and trimming my wick.
Then someone bought me a shade as a gift and all that stopped. I now get a steady flame, a nice even burn and although the rim of the shade needs a quick wipe now and again black soot is no longer an issue.
I'd never really wanted a shade but I have to say its changed my life! :nod:

I use shades on all my Yankees all the time and I love them. I still trim the wick every time cause you get a clean more even burn. One tip of mine for you is that when I am going to bed or out and I want to extinguish the flame, I put a coaster over the top of the shade as this blocks the air flow and then within just a matter of moments the flame goes out and any smoke stays inside the shade, every now and again just wash the shade out with hot soapy water (as sometimes the inside of the shade can get black on it), but it is far better to keep the sooting inside the shade than on your walls and ceiling. Doesn't happen every time mind but when it does the shades wash out like brand new every time. I got the shades originally as I have long haired pussycats and I was worried about them scorching themselves! but they have proved essential for so many reasons. :eek:)

totally recommend the shade and the illumina thingies also work, never had an issue with smoking or tunnellling

I used to get 'sooting' which made a right old mess of my bathroom. So I thought I would try a shade..............it's brilliant. So I have now purchased two more, one for the kitchen and one for the lounge.

A word of warning ... some of the shades for the small jars actually don't allow the flame to burn at all. You put on the shade and the flame goes out. I've no idea why but there it is. I was bought one as a gift and it's blinking useless. I have three or four for the large candles with no problem.

A word of warning ... some of the shades for the small jars actually don't allow the flame to burn at all. You put on the shade and the flame goes out. I've no idea why but there it is. I was bought one as a gift and it's blinking useless. I have three or four for the large candles with no problem.

in all fairness I have to say that also has never been a problem with mine, but I would love to know why YC seem so "sensitive" doe lack of a better word

Latest posts

Back