Yankee Candle question

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MinxyKitten

Registered Shopper
I've just bought a sampler/votive of Orange Splash as I was itching to try! It's gorgeous, very orangey! Anyway, it only lasted just over an hour, I am gutted. I appreciate it only cost £1.80 but I expected a bit longer to be honest.

Which leads me to my question....sampler/tealight/melt/jar?! I have, in the past, always bought large jars - mainly because they are good value on QVC. However, I find the having to burn them for 3 hours a bit hard work sometimes, and now and again I just want an instant, short-term hit. I have dabbled with melts in the past, when they were called tarts! I never really got much of a fragrance off them.

So now I am wondering, are the tealights any good? What about the small jars, do they give off a good whaft of fragrance like the large jars?

Never had a votive last 10-15 hours , For me they average around 5-8 hours. Tealights i find pretty useless. I personally find the tarts are the best in my electric tart burner and Large jars used with a shade.

Did you have them in a 'snug' holder MK? The votive needs to touch the sides of the holder to get any decent kind of burn time. Yankee shows annoy me when they sell votives with bevelled holders. Why bother? The votive just collapses in no time.

I agree with Autumn though, I don't think I've ever had more than 6-7 hours from a votive before.
It's Tarts/Melts mainly for me as well.

Really, 10 - 15 hours?!! That's crazy! I have some left, but not much. I wonder if it's because the jar I was burning it in was too wide?

I quite like the sound of an electric tart warmer, but have only seen the teapot one currently on Q...maybe I'll have a scout around now.

I do love the large jars but I have so many, and very rarely get to the end of one. There are two that I have seen it through with, Midnight Jasmine and Sparkling Lemon - have already replaced the MJ. It's an expensive habit :mysmilie_11:

I have attached a picture of my almost depleted votive! Actually, just noticed the label on the bottom of the jar says tealight holder :mysmilie_10:

20140702_160811 (Small).jpg

For some reason it's sideways - sorry!

Did you have them in a 'snug' holder MK? The votive needs to touch the sides of the holder to get any decent kind of burn time. Yankee shows annoy me when they sell votives with bevelled holders. Why bother? The votive just collapses in no time.

I agree with Autumn though, I don't think I've ever had more than 6-7 hours from a votive before.
It's Tarts/Melts mainly for me as well.

I think you may have solved this mystery Mr Marple, haha!!

I always burn YC votives in YC votive holders and get abut 12 hours out of most of them... i prefer the tarts personally, but the votives are just quicker and easier and take up less room haha

votives should last 10-15 you need a small narrow votive holder. yours looks like a roly poly type. i dont undersand why they sell these then tell customers the wrong burn time. also trim your wick

I find you get a good amount of smell from a tealight, but then again I only like a subtle hint and nothing overwhelming. If you like a lot of smell it might not be enough. Certainly more than from say a supermarket tealight though.

The melts are definitely the best. You get a great fragrance from them and can burn them for a short while or until the tea light underneath runs out. (I don't have an electric burner.) I find I rarely get a decent throw from the sampler/votive. I would say they last about 8-10 hours in a snug candle holder. I used to just buy large jars but since I got the tart burner I barely bother. I much prefer being able to have variety with the burner, I found I really got fed up of some of the large jars. Do try and get a tart burner/warmer, you will love it!

tarts are my fav the throw is good they are cheap and you can use some of the stronger scents for a while

I only use tarts as well now, I love the fact that I can burn them for 10 mins or 10 hours so no waiting for the wax to pool to the side of the jar.
Not only that but you only have to spend a fraction of the cost of a jar to see if you like the fragrance or not, so a win win in my book.

Thanks for your input everyone, I really appreciate it. I can't thank posts on this app, and when I try on the laptop it freezes - something to do with a script (?) ! So, thanks!

I think I will get a 'manual' warmer and some tarts. I like the thought of a short burn time and being able to buy lots of different smells for not much money. May even return my two large jars on their way from Q, they just don't make sense to me anymore.

i like the large jars when i am having people round for the day. i get up and light my jars and burn them forever. if its just me tiddling around i burn a tart in the kitchen or the bedroom later on in the evening. i love a large jar for christmas and burn it all day

I think I will get a 'manual' warmer and some tarts. I like the thought of a short burn time and being able to buy lots of different smells for not much money. May even return my two large jars on their way from Q, they just don't make sense to me anymore.

If you do fancy an electric warmer it is a good idea to get one with a detachable top so you can put it in the freezer or fridge for ease of emptying. Yankee Doodle and Yankee Direct both currently have the Astbury which was aTSV and is £23.99. I have it and like it. Also, using a link from Autumn I got an electric one from Rhys Candles, similar price. Both The Yankee sites do good value manual warmers as the ones on Q can seem a bit pricey,depending on cost they put on the melts in any set.

I usually burn melts and large candles together but am not fond of votives as do not think you get much fragrance. I use the snug holders and have always had a good 10-12 hours burn, occasionally 15.

I personally think instead of buying a normal tart burner , invest in an Electric one , it will soon pay for its self when your not having to buy tealights every month and IMO there much safer. Just make sure you get one with a removable dish :)

This site has some nice ones , including a Christmas one ( i have it ) for only £15.99...

http://www.yankeescents4u.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=electric&page=1

I agree, I always bought the large jars but I'm finding increasingly that, despite burning them for well in excess of 3 hours at a time, the wax is not pooling right across - which not only reduces the amount of time I get from the jars, but means the flame disappears inside the tunnel, and I lose the effect of a live flame :-(.
So, I mainly buy the tarts now because the scent throw is just as good as the jars, and I find I get at least 6 evenings from each one before losing the fragrance, which is great value.... and like others, it means I can try lots of different fragrances too..... win, win! :)

I bought two warmers yesterday and a very large selection of tarts - it was like being in a sweet shop! The whole lot came to £22 ish - bargain considering I never bought a single large jar but always in a set! I have melted Summer Scoop and Orange Splash in different rooms and am very happy with the scent and the throw. I love the freedom of just lighting them when I am using that room rather than having to burn for 3 hours. I also bought OS in a small jar as I love it so much. Is there a recommended burn time for these jars or anything?

Great! It sounds as if you got a real bargain and glad you like them. I think they say an hour for a small jar, but the point is that the wax melts across the top as with the large ones.

Latest posts

Back