I have my alexandrite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

NikkiS

Tanzanite Flasher!
What do you think? Be honest please.... does it look like a grands worth of Lorique?

Attachments

• 8934_158821599881_670104881_3532664_7350802_n.jpg
    8934_158821599881_670104881_3532664_7350802_n.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 370
  • 8934_158821879881_670104881_3532665_3877589_n.jpg
    8934_158821879881_670104881_3532665_3877589_n.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 381
May I be brutally honest? In your pictures it doesn't but ............

If it has the best colour change ever known to man, then yes it might. If it changes effortlessly and by that I mean that it must completely change colour when you walk from outside to inside without any help and the colour is a bright amethyst purple/pink (like my avatar) then the answer could be yes. If you look at my avatar, that's the colour that the whole gem goes in incandescent light. No trickery. That's the colour. In daylight, it's a mid green.

From your photos, I suspect that the colour change isn't strong but the camera DOES lie where Alex is concerned so you need to judge with your eyes and guide us.

Is the Alex about 1ct Nikki? What's the cut like? Does it have a window? Cut is less important with Alex as the value is all about colour change but still, having a good cut does make a difference. I also can't see the clarity well enough in your photos. Again, less important in an Alex but it still plays a part when valuing.

What I can say is that the shank (presumably Platinum?) looks a very good weight indeed. It "looks" substantial.

the shank is 18ct white gold. I appreciate your honesty and am taking it to a jewellers tomorrow - no way am I keeping it without an expert opinion. As the light has faded, it has started to look deep red / purple - there is a lot of red glinting off it. I am hoping it's not windowed - it does look it in one pic. I'm certainly not paying a K for a gem with a window so am hoping the jeweller will be able to confirm.

Thank you!

Sorry Nikki, ring may be lovely but your photos are poo, dear! (I'm half blind anyway, so have to be crystal clear & 1 billion magnification for me to see anything!) lol
For that sort of money, you need to be totally in love with it & sounds as though you're maybe not, for whatever reason?
Rocks TV are very good though, is why they have a 30 day mbg - they would rather you returned something you weren't in love with & tried something else instead than kept something half reluctantly & were put off shopping with them ever again! lol
You should be holding it lovingly against your little (or big! lol) bosom & making cooing noises (& drooling!) - if you're not.......send it back!

Oh & Nikki, you don't need to have an actual reason why you don't adore it - can be the nicest & best quality ring in the world but if you don't really like it, you don't like it, end of! xx :flower:

Nikki - you don't have to take it to a jewellers. I can tell you categorically that it has a window. I was trying not to be too blunt and skirt round the edges.

HOWEVER one thing you MUST know. I doubt whether many jewellers have seen Alexandrite. I've been collecting it for many years and have a fairly large collection. When I first started collecting, nobody I knew, jewellers etc., had seen it. A normal high street jeweller wouldn't even know how to begin valuing it! If you want an honest honest honest opinion of value, you need to have Safeguard value it. However, it sounds like you're not over the moon with the ring and in all honesty I wouldn't pay £1k for a ring that I wasn't bowled over by.

If you want to compare the prices of Alex look here:
http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/index.html?/gallery/single/alexandrite/&1308455747
I've sorted this so the most expensive show first. As you'll see, the colour change is critical to value. When you look at your stone, be honest with yourself and judge the colour change by what your eyes are telling you and then look at similar stones in the link. Look at stones that are a similar carat weight and colour change to yours. If your stone is, for example, 1.30ct DON'T look at stones over 2ct to compare. Also don't look under 1.00ct. With good Alex's the price goes considerably higher when you get into the next carat bracket.

An orangey colour change is less sought after (and less in value) than the purple/pink. Alex's that change to red are VERY VERY VERY rare and if anybody tells you have one, they're telling porkies! There's only one in the world that's been photographed in an almost red state! You might see red flashes but definitely not a ruby red gem.

I hope that helps.

Edit: Sorry - I meant to say - value is also in the % of colour change. The whole gem must change and hold it's colour (you'll see that when you look at the link). If only part of the gem changes or it all changes but only some of the gem is purple while other bits just look dark, it's less valuable. The one in my avatar is an almost 100% changer. The colour when it changes should also be stable i.e. you shouldn't have to move it around to see the colour change it should just look like a completely different gemstone from the daylight version.

Last edited:
meeshoo, mind if I ask you if you've looked at the alex on CR? a lot of them seem to have adifferent coloured 'window' in the middle. i would rather send this back and pay more for a better alex if need be - I have my heart set on one and want a beauty. But at an affordable price!!

N x

Nikki, there's no such thing as a beautiful Alex at an affordable price I'm afraid (unless your idea of affordable is what most people would deem expensive). I've seen many hundreds of pieces of Alex over the years and have only kept a fraction. To find a great Alex is like rocking horse poo I'm afraid.

You obviously have doubts over this piece so the best thing to do is to send it back. You KNOW when you see a good Alex because it literally screams out at you and suddenly you have two looks for the price of one! You wouldn't have any doubts at all. Have a search on my name and I'm sure you'll find pics of my collection and the odd video or two that shows the colour change. If you can't find them let me know and I'll dig them out again.

Why don't you speak with Steve B? I know he's an avid collector of Alex too and I'm sure he'll pick you one of the best pieces he has if you ask. Once you've seen that it'll either knock your socks off or give you a benchmark to base others on. If you want a great cut, good clarity and a brilliant colour change then tell him. If you're prepared to sacrifice something (and you may have to) then tell him that also.

If he doesn't have anything then you could contact David Weinberg at Multicolour.com. He's one of the leading authorities on Alex. I value his opinion highly.

Hi Nikki i bought a 1ct Alex about 3-4 years ago and it has a window (i didn't know about windows then) and i have never worn it and every time i look at it i'm so angry with myself for keeping it, it was the same price as yours so my advice would be if you don't ADORE it send it back and keep your money until you find one that makes your heart skip a beat x

Tee hee! Sorry Pepsidoodle! I should have included a health warning with that link :grin:

Hi NikkiS I have emailed you about your Alex Ring, I understand your concerns and would like to help, if you could email me I will do everything I can to help you with this subject.

Speak Soon

Tony

well, this morning I saw the colour change and it was like a miracle - took it from the dining room in artifical light to outside and it went from dark red to green as I walked - amazing.

So I was mad in love with it, Tony has been FANTASTIC - cannot rate CR help highly enough - and then the jewellers were horrible and laughed in my face. The one thing they said which I thought they had a point on was the fact that the shanks are hollow. Good point.

Anyway, Tony has offered to send it to Safeguard cos I am being a plonker. Will see what they say - it's becoming an obsession with me!

Thanks for all your help.

n xxx

Nikki

I certainly don't mean to be stepping on Tony (or RocksTV) toes when I say this but if they are prepared to pay for you to have it assessed by Safeguard, may I suggest you make an appointment with them when they're in your area (at a local jewellers)? You can then go along and sit with the valuer. You can ask them about cut, clarity, strength of colour change etc etc. If the ring is sent off, you simply get a certificate for valuation but it won't answer your questions and that sounds important to you.

If you look at the Safeguard website you can put in your post code and it will tell you when they're in your area. If not, their contact details are also here:

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/safeguard/fsved.php

BTW you're not being a plonker. You're spending £1k of your hard earned money and want to get it right.

Last edited:
hi Niki

please feel free to return it if you like, we always want customers to be totally happy. I think this is what differentiates us from the crowd.

I certainly think the gem has a great colour change and at the price we let it go for it is one of the best valued Alexandrites we have ever sold!

Re your jeweller, i suggest you get him to call me, because we do not make hollow shanks!!!!!! This is a a handmade ring and it is impossible to make hollow shanks without electroforming, something i personally would not dream of doing

best wishes from China

Steve

What a fascinating thread. Meesh,thank goodness you post on this forum, I learn something new every time. Niki, I do so hope that Safeguard can reassure you on your alexandrite and that you have found your perfect stone. Even if the setting were not excactly right, if you have a cracker of a stone, you could always have it reset.
Tony and Steve's posts just show yet again that their CS is second to none! Please do report back when you have seen Safeguard Niki.

hi Niki

please feel free to return it if you like, we always want customers to be totally happy. I think this is what differentiates us from the crowd.

I certainly think the gem has a great colour change and at the price we let it go for it is one of the best valued Alexandrites we have ever sold!

Re your jeweller, i suggest you get him to call me, because we do not make hollow shanks!!!!!! This is a a handmade ring and it is impossible to make hollow shanks without electroforming, something i personally would not dream of doing

best wishes from China

Steve

Hi Steve i think the jeweller and Nikki mean the hollow shoulders as in this ring/picture and not hollow shanks!
China? your getting around the world a bit looking for gems aren't you lol hope you've found lots of goodies x
http://data2.rocks.tv/images/products/popup.php?id=AZ318#

I totally agree that Rocks CS is second to none - I cannot think of any other company when the owner would get in touch with me personally!! I am going back into town today and have noted the adrsses of a few jewellers with Safeguard certification - I will certainly sit with a jeweller.

I believe this ring is very beautiful by the way, and the colour change is spectacular - even my husband is wnadering from indoors to outdoors and cooing at it!!

Thank you again, for all your help and advice.

nikki xx

Latest posts

Back