beauty bash

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've just applied my first dose of EFG, I'm not sure I'd buy the product but it's great to be able to try it. My skin feels good but I'm not sure if I had dry skin whether I'd find it rich enough, the guest said to use it on its own. My face feels very smooth but not like a silicone-based primer. If I wake up tomorrow looking like a 25 year old I'll post a photo on here! I'm sceptical, 'tis a lot of money face a nice feeling face!

Hi, I was lucky enough to attend the beauty bash on Thursday morning and had a great time! I was really impressed with the goody bag but found the stalls were very stingy with the samples though - we only got 1 sample from Liz Earle, nothing from Elemis, Gatineau, Nails Inc, Ultrasun, Perricone to name a few despite talking to the advisors on the stalls. Should we have been asking for samples, is that what everyone else did! Saying that my sister did see an elderly man walking about with a bag stuffed full of samples! Not that I'm disappointed though I'm thoroughly pleased with what we did get but I'm a bit confused by what others got. Perhaps they all thought I was beyond help lol! xx

Not that I'm disappointed though I'm thoroughly pleased with what we did get but I'm a bit confused by what others got. Perhaps they all thought I was beyond help lol! xx
Hello Plodipop, so glad you've joined in with the chat. I'm not very good at just going and asking for a sample straight out, but I did ask on several stands about what they would recommend for X, Y or Z. After we'd chatted about my question, if a sample wasn't immediately offered, I would then say "Will we get a sample of that in the goody bag" and that then generally bought something but not always. I visited the Mally stand twice and didn't get offered anything, whereas others got a set of lip-glosses, but I personally don't like just asking straight out for a sample (guess it's the old British reserve).

Hello Plodipop, so glad you've joined in with the chat. I'm not very good at just going and asking for a sample straight out, but I did ask on several stands about what they would recommend for X, Y or Z. After we'd chatted about my question, if a sample wasn't immediately offered, I would then say "Will we get a sample of that in the goody bag" and that then generally bought something but not always. I visited the Mally stand twice and didn't get offered anything, whereas others got a set of lip-glosses, but I personally don't like just asking straight out for a sample (guess it's the old British reserve).

Thank you for the welcome and your reply. Perhaps I should've been more proactive them, I was just so pleased to be there - we did have a great time though.:mysmilie_14:

@ Plodipop: Welcome on board!

Reading about your visits to the bash makes me a little bit jealous, I must admit.:wink: Anyway, fantastic you had such a great day!

Thank you for the welcome and your reply. Perhaps I should've been more proactive them, I was just so pleased to be there - we did have a great time though.:mysmilie_14:

Okay, I have never been to the BB(I live in Belfast and couldn't go anyway too expensive to travel), but as someone who gets samples without a problem at counters.

One) Make eye contact(if not interested don't), smile look interested in the product and listen to the spiel. Do not seem over excited that you want it.

Two) A good one to try is, "Sounds good, but I have sensitive skin and hate the thought of taking a full size product back. But I would love to try it if you have a sample?" For me this is true as I have rosacea, but you can use it as they are not going to stand argue about if you do have sensitive skin.

Three) Just be friendly and chatty.

Welcome Plodipop. I was at the BB on Friday morning, and On hindsight I should have had more of a strategy, but I am not really that organised or forward thinking. After the initial shock of how huge the place was, and how many stands there were and oh my goodness, where shall I go first (kid in a sweet shop mentality), I went for the new brands that I had not heard of and looked interesting/old favourites. I avoided things I would never use in a million years, egg. Peri one.

I explained my situation which is that I am looking for a new skin care regime, and a lot of brands were quite forth coming (with the exception of Liz Earle and Elemis). I am a bit shy and did not really ask for samples, or expect them, but very pleased when offered them. If I am lucky enought o go again, I think I will be more confident in asking for things to try.

I like Donna's strategy and would use that.

I must admit l do the same as Donna. I am friendly with the SA and ask questions, especially any new products l fancy trying or have read about on beauty blogs. I to have sensitive skin with acne rosacea. So l always tell them so. I also regularly visit beauty counters when in town shopping so have got to know quite a few of them.

At the BB I made sure l went to the newer brands to Q as l wanted to learn about their products without a presenter chirping in every few seconds with stock updates or who l should buy for. I suppose because it's the biggest money spinner for Q they seem to have opted, in the first instance, for mostly the Anti Aging ranges from a brand. I did say if l hadn't tried the brand and about my skin concerns. All of them were very helpful with advice and with what and what not to use from their ranges. And gave me suitable samples. If they didn't have a sample of a particular product, like at the Zelens stand he told me to ask in Space NK a shop that l mooch about it quite often lol.

Thanks everyone for your replies, in hindsight I think perhaps I was too over positive to the advisors and perhaps I should have been asking them what's new as opposed to how much I love the products - I was pleased with what. I did get though xx

@ Plodipop: Welcome on board!

Reading about your visits to the bash makes me a little bit jealous, I must admit.:wink: Anyway, fantastic you had such a great day!

Hi Ani, do you like Prai products? xx

Welcome to the forum Plodipop :wave: Im the same I never like to ask for samples but reading this thread makes me think ill have to start being more brave lol

An interesting addendum to the BB bags. Today I took part in some research that QVC are doing on their app. At the end of the session, I was given a BB goody bag, which was totally unexpected and I was absolutely thrilled to receive. I got home quite lateish, but from a quick persuse, there is hardly any no cross-over at all between today's bag and Friday's other than they are both in the BB bags. The bag today was not better or worse than the one on Friday, just different. So, I do think it's just the luck of the draw as to what you got each time.

An interesting addendum to the BB bags. Today I took part in some research that QVC are doing on their app. At the end of the session, I was given a BB goody bag, which was totally unexpected and I was absolutely thrilled to receive. I got home quite lateish, but from a quick persuse, there is hardly any no cross-over at all between today's bag and Friday's other than they are both in the BB bags. The bag today was not better or worse than the one on Friday, just different. So, I do think it's just the luck of the draw as to what you got each time.

Oh the research went ahead then. I got an email last week saying it had been postponed to this week and to email saying 'yes' and provide a contact no if I could make the new date which I duly did. No contact. I chased this up by email but still nothing.

Glad you got rewarded for your time. Wish I could have done it too. Was it a good day?

Thank goodness. We have hot water and heating. Was a hole in pipe

Am I the only one who is going to be negative about this years BB?

I was invited to the Thursday morning slot, this is probably where it started to go all downhill for me (not a morning person). 9.30-1pm is one long session at any event, so arrived at 10.30am at this dismal Monument location. If you've ever been to Monument it is depressing City of London concrete office/commercial based place. When entering the event the place felt a little happier with lots of pink colours and smiley faces. I began to smile, until, I went to my first port of call, the Shavata stand to get my eyebrows done and was greeted with "Sorry, we're fully booked", then went to Bareminerals with the same reply. In fact, it seems unless you get there at 9.30pm on the dot, you haven't got a hope in hell of getting anything done at all! or, maybe I was just unlucky. Then it dawned on me, this was not the first day of the event, but the second (I had been invited to the most unlucky early slot of them all). I also, got the feeling that they were trying to get people out early, before the next slot at 2pm as the raffle started at 12pm. The handing out of samples was virtually non-existent and there was nowhere to go for a break apart from a small cafe upstairs for tea and coffee and there was nothing else local more than 20 mins walk away.

I'm comparing this to my experience at the BB 2013 at the Business Design Center in Islington (second day afternoon slot), where you could leave the building, eat and drink something 2 minutes anywhere outside the venue and come back in time for your booked treatments quickly.

Also, it sounds like the paying ticket YOU readers that Friday, got a much better deal, both with goody bags and fed too!

Last edited:
Oh the research went ahead then.

Glad you got rewarded for your time. Wish I could have done it too. Was it a good day?

I was only there for an hour and I was in London yesterday on business anyway, so it suited me perfectly. I won't go into too much detail as obviously they are still in a development but it looks like a major improvement on current app.

I was invited to the Thursday morning slot, this is probably where it started to go all downhill for me (not a morning person). 9.30-1pm is one long session at any event, so arrived at 10.30am at this dismal Monument location. If you've ever been to Monument it is depressing City of London concrete office/commercial based place. When entering the event the place felt a little happier with lots of pink colours and smiley faces. I began to smile, until, I went to my first port of call, the Shavata stand to get my eyebrows done and was greeted with "Sorry, we're fully booked", then went to Bareminerals with the same reply. In fact, it seems unless you get there at 9.30pm on the dot, you haven't got a hope in hell of getting anything done at all! or, maybe I was just unlucky. Then it dawned on me, this was not the first day of the event, but the second (I had been invited to the most unlucky early slot of them all). I also, got the feeling that they were trying to get people out early, before the next slot at 2pm as the raffle started at 12pm. The handing out of samples was virtually non-existent and there was nowhere to go for a break apart from a small cafe upstairs for tea and coffee and there was nothing else local more than 20 mins walk away.

I'm comparing this to my experience at the BB 2013 at the Business Design Center in Islington (second day afternoon slot), where you could leave the building, eat and drink something 2 minutes anywhere outside the venue and come back in time for your booked treatments quickly.

Also, it sounds like the paying ticket YOU readers that Friday, got a much better deal, both with goody bags and fed too!

Quite a few said that certain free facials etc booked up straight after 9.30. So it was first in go to the stand and book before doing anything else even then no guarantee. Quite a few disappointed at especially not getting their brows done by Shavata.

There is a rumour they may next year do a few round the UK, but this is only rumour. Personally I cannot see it as QVC never do their events outside London. More a case of people asking please come to .............. and being told we might think about it.

They should allow people to pre-book treatments and share them out fairly i bet a few greedy people get the pick of the lot and it would not surprise me if they wait for the doors to open hours before.

aww l loved the venue. love the city of London billingsgate was beautifully restored and on the thames to boot. there is quite a lot of eateries as its one of the main financial hubs in London (if not the world) and of course there was high tea very well catered for with a lot of staff bringing out the goodies and serving quality food and drinks hot and cold. it surpassed all expectations but I supposed I guessed there would be those in the know booking traetments etc and nabbing samples etc. I came just for a bit of fun and I more than got that. the bags given out were soooooo generous. I know the Islington venue well but its not a patch on billingsgate imo. upper street Islington cant really compete with the thames and a beautifully restored building dating back hundreds of years. monument is busy and bustling but tahts its appeal. lovely day

I loved the Billingsgate venue too. I think it's a beautiful old building with lots of history.

I was there at 9.30 and joined the end of a long queue. I was able to book a facial with Alpha H, but everything else, including eyebrow threading at Shavata and make up with laura geller and benefit was not booked, but just happened to be at their stand and they had some time. To be honest, I don't think you would want more than one facial or even more than one make over, but obviously all treatments were first come first served so would go very quickly.

Weirdly, bare Minerals gave me an appointment for 1 o'clock, but that was lunch time, and they were all eating, also we had to leave, so thought that was a bit strange.

Regarding the refreshments, I was too busy going around and getting as much time at different stands to even want to take time out, plus I had a lunch to go to at 2 so wasn't too bothered about eating.

I was lucky enough to go last year and this year and my thoughts on the goodie bag wand samples was that it wS not as good aaas last year but that may be to do with the fact that I was told that there was double the amount of people there this year so maybe the brands allow an amount of money for these items, there was a lit of samples In the bag this year as opposed to full size items last year
It was still good though so I am not complaining

Latest posts

Back