DBF book now in WH Smith

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Even taking the 100+ 5 star reviews at face value, looking at what other books the ones who have reviewed more than just the one book... I can quickly and easily see that their tastes and mine would not chime.

I see a rather scathing review of Debs's book has been posted! I wonder who could have written it? LOL! We'll have to see what happens next! Hahahahahaha! Watch this space.

Just because their books are not to my taste i don't have a problem with other people liking them. I have always maintained it is better to read anything rather than nothing as I am amazed at the number of people who I meet who don't read anything at all. I can't imagine not having a book on the go every day since I started school.

BUT what I do object to is when I am looking at a bag or coat that the assistant interrupts the show to sell me their book.

When I'm in Marks tomorrow the last thing I expect is the lady on the till to start asking me if I will buy the crochet toilet holders she knits in her spare time.

Reviews are just that. You have to take it on the chin. The good and the bad. I note that DBF chooses to interact with those that have not loved her book and saying lots love her book. Again if you are confident why resond? Regardless of wether lots have loved your book there will be those that don't. Insecurity springs to mind!

I see a rather scathing review of Debs's book has been posted! I wonder who could have written it? LOL! We'll have to see what happens next! Hahahahahaha! Watch this space.

Great review :mysmilie_59:?.... lm sure the majority of positive reviews are from her BTY group, family and friends and from DF herself (she has at least one other FB account JT ��) so I would take all the reviews with a pinch of salt.

Just because their books are not to my taste i don't have a problem with other people liking them. I have always maintained it is better to read anything rather than nothing as I am amazed at the number of people who I meet who don't read anything at all. I can't imagine not having a book on the go every day since I started school.

BUT what I do object to is when I am looking at a bag or coat that the assistant interrupts the show to sell me their book.

When I'm in Marks tomorrow the last thing I expect is the lady on the till to start asking me if I will buy the crochet toilet holders she knits in her spare time.

I can't imagine not having a book on the go. When I used to go and watch football and sometimes get home at some ridiculous time I would still read a couple of pages of my book before going to sleep.

As far as the reviews go any from a reviewer who hasn't reviewed anything else but gives DF five stars don't have much credibility in my opinion.

Likewise BB - no matter what ungodly hour I go to bed I have to read for a while and it is not unknown for me to read until 3am in an effort to finish a book even though I have to be up at 6.30.

I could easily stop TV or the internet but I couldn't choose between music and books. Just love snuggled up in a chair with a book and some music playing.

Books are wonderful. I don't read as many paper ones these days, but my Kindle is well-stocked!

Generally I have several on the go, and switch between them as the mood takes me.

I'm another one who can't go to bed without at least a couple of minutes reading. I try not to read anything too gripping, otherwise - come hell or high water, and regardless of the smallness of the hour, I will finish it. I've been known to finish just as my alarm clock goes... that makes for a long day. Does that stop me doing the same thing again? Nope.

Interesting different viewpoint, srhgts, thanks for that. I'm guessing a bit here, because it was a while back(!), but from memory I think where the lecturer was coming from is that family/friends are more likely to be mistakenly kind and overly positive, rather than provoke upset - all done with good intentions, but I can see where she was coming from, because in the long term it probably does the writer no favours. If they are then living in a fools paradise, thinking their book is good, any publisher will be much franker and may leave them in no doubt that they consider it cr.p - a huge let-down. And would the writer trust the family/friend's opinion afterwards? Possibly not. Would it get brought up again in future if there were a few sharp words? Probably, yes! So embarrassment all round and a bit like the elephant in the room? Yes! I'm no writer, but my view is that I would far rather approach an outsider for an opinion than put family/friends in that very difficult position. Different people will have different viewpoints, I'm certain, but our lady's view was that it's not a good idea.

I'm kinda surprised by that I majored in creative writing and my lecturers always said you should get anyone and everyone to read your work, especially friends and family as you'd be likely to trust their opinions and the more perspectives you got on it the better. Obviously not everyone is the same and different people work differently but I very much got the impression that was the prevailing attitude in creative writing circles. I personally believe you can absolutely get an unbiased opinion if you ask for one. At the end of the day it's cruel to let someone think their work is great if it's awful, you're just setting them up for potential upset, disappointment and humiliation. Of course criticism should be given gently and constructively, but I think if you really care about someone you've got to be honest about these things.
I definitely agree with what your lecturer said about taking criticism, though. It can be terrifying letting other people see your work, but to get anywhere you really need to be ready to accept opinions about it whatever they are.

Last edited:
oh DBF... NOT ANOTHER PLAYBOY BILLIONAIRE!!! You've been doing too much internet dating Debbie! :giggle::muscle:

Now theres a thought.. new dating site by DBF... sellinghearts.com:mysmilie_14:

Have to agree with Historymystery. Years ago, when I was in my early twenties and not very assertive, I was asked by a colleague to read through a novel she had written. It was a really difficult experience, because the book was about a child that had gone through emotional abuse at the hands of her mother and then her life story. Not only was it very depressing reading (and not particularly well written) but I also started to realise that it was autobiographical and even recognised some of my colleagues in it. She essentially wanted me to proof read it, and give her an opinion. To be honest, there were so many errors in the first few pages that it would have been easier to focus on which bits to keep, rather than which ones to cross out or correct.

Come to think of it, this woman was quite similar to a certain other author. If anyone criticised her or disagreed with her, it was because they were jealous of her, deluded or both. I quickly made an excuse ( I was working full-time and studying a post-grad course at that time and had a two year old, so hands quite full) and returned the manuscript.

Isn't one of the things you get told to do on writing courses, to write what you know? If so, it makes sense that shopping telly,and shopping telly brands and products are frequently involved...if the writer is deeply immersed in that world... I wonder where the playboy billionaire comes into things????

Have to agree with Historymystery. Years ago, when I was in my early twenties and not very assertive, I was asked by a colleague to read through a novel she had written. It was a really difficult experience, because the book was about a child that had gone through emotional abuse at the hands of her mother and then her life story. Not only was it very depressing reading (and not particularly well written) but I also started to realise that it was autobiographical and even recognised some of my colleagues in it. She essentially wanted me to proof read it, and give her an opinion. To be honest, there were so many errors in the first few pages that it would have been easier to focus on which bits to keep, rather than which ones to cross out or correct.

Come to think of it, this woman was quite similar to a certain other author. If anyone criticised her or disagreed with her, it was because they were jealous of her, deluded or both. I quickly made an excuse ( I was working full-time and studying a post-grad course at that time and had a two year old, so hands quite full) and returned the manuscript.

No wonder you returned it, sounds like you were best off out of it. Of course I sympathise deeply with her suffering, but she doesn't sound like a very reasonable person at all. I would stress, though, that (at least in my experience) most writers really aren't like that and do want and appreciate honest feedback. Of course some people are sadly a bit deluded, but I really think constructive criticism is well received by the vast majority.

I think they should produce a "kindling" edition - to be used on open fires and wood-burning stoves.

(I wonder how many non-QVC viewers bought JR's past books, thinking they were buying the Hollywood version of Julia Roberts!) :mysmilie_17:

Latest posts

Back