Diet Chef TSV 31/01/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Im not going to watch because I know they will suck me in. At the moment Im comfort eating and know I should stop it, but I think when life is chaotic, I just comort eat so I guess even if I went for diet chef, its the worng time because I would still when Iv had a bad day, go to pigging so then I would have the diet chef and be beating myself up for not following it after paying so much. lets face it Diet Chef is not cheap! I think its really expensive and they say you still have to add your own veg, factor that in and its more expensive than it seems, plus its defeating the object having food delivered yet still having to go supermarket for your fruit and veg, too tempting, you will crave all the doughnuts and special offers down the bakery aisels.

Diet Chef is dieting for couch potatoes! I don't see who in their right mind would fork out over the odds for a few granola bars and half portions of watery soup! Get a diet book and go and burn a few calories off walking down to the supermarket and carrying the ingredients back home!

As well as being expensive, it's also repulsive IMO. Couldn't stick it :-(

Im not going to watch because I know they will suck me in. At the moment Im comfort eating and know I should stop it, but I think when life is chaotic, I just comort eat so I guess even if I went for diet chef, its the worng time because I would still when Iv had a bad day, go to pigging so then I would have the diet chef and be beating myself up for not following it after paying so much. lets face it Diet Chef is not cheap! I think its really expensive and they say you still have to add your own veg, factor that in and its more expensive than it seems, plus its defeating the object having food delivered yet still having to go supermarket for your fruit and veg, too tempting, you will crave all the doughnuts and special offers down the bakery aisels.

DON'T DO IT TRISTAR, resist watching when it's on if u want my advice! Everyone on here knows how many of us thought the offerings courtesy of DS were inadequate to say the least & I'm not talking about just the portion sizes! A syrupy sugary milkshake FOR A MEAL REPLACEMENT?? R THEY HAVIN A LARF??!

Hi everyone, my first post here, but I have to come to the defence of Diet Chef. Diets aren't easy, and getting the results doesn't come by eating gourmet food unfortunately, but I found DC absolutely fantastic. Hate cooking and never do it if I can possibly help it, so the convenience of DC was perfect for me. Also didn"t find the food distasteful as others here did, particularly considering I was on a diet. It was easy, quick and very effective - and worth every penny. Without feeling hungry once - honestly - I lost 4.5 stones in 8 months. That was 2 years ago and I haven't put it back on because it really did retrain my eating habits. And I didn't ever have one of the milkshakes, it was proper food all the way. Didn't ever feel as though I was on a diet actually, was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Well done Scout on your weight loss. Maybe I am too weak willed. However, I don't buy Diet Chef as there's too many porridge and shakes, biscuits and cookies and stuff I never eat. I did find this place www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk which allegedly is the same people that make DC and it's better because you can just buy what you want for lunch and dinner and just have your preferred cereal or yoghurt or whatever for breakfast/snack. I tried DC and I lost a couple of pounds and put it back. Maybe if you have more to lose it works better. I will be giving the TSV a miss.

CC

Dare I say it on here...but Ive been on the oppositions weight to go plan for the past 3 weeks and so far so good...lost 9lbs in that time and feel like Im eating more than normal. I have 3 shakes, a soup and a meal a day, with 1 portion of fruit and one of veg. The meals although being a bit repetitive are tasty...but i can tell my eating habits are changing. I know its early days, but once it runs out i think i will be able to maintain the portion sizes in real life food...then the real challenge begins...maintainence :-(

I have watched the weight to go on Ideal too and if I were to go for one, it would be Ideals Weight to go, as opposed to diet chef. Denice Robinson on Ideal is such a good advert for the weight to go.

Brilliant results Scout! Welcome to the forum and well done on your weight loss.

Jude xx

They both involve a hefty up front outlay though, even on easy/flexi pays its still a lot in one go, to risk, postage costs and all.

Brilliant results Scout! Welcome to the forum and well done on your weight loss.

Thank you for the welcome Jude, hope I can make a worthwhile contribution to the forum.

Well done Scout on your weight loss. Maybe I am too weak willed. However, I don't buy Diet Chef as there's too many porridge and shakes, biscuits and cookies and stuff I never eat.

Thanks CC, but I found I didn't need willpower with DC because I never felt hungry, it was so easy. The most important thing it taught me was portion size. When I first looked at the size of the DC portions I thought I was going to starve, but very quickly realised that it was actually enough and that I'd been eating WAY more than I needed. My stomach very quickly adapted and now I could never eat the amount I ate before.

Also, what I forgot to say before was that I didn't buy DC from QVC, I bought it direct from DC which meant I could choose exactly what I wanted. You just choose 35 breakfasts, 35 lunches, 35 dinners and 35 snacks of any combination you like. So I didn't have any shakes or cookies, I chose the savouries like the crisp-type snacks. I like porridge so I did choose that for breakfast, but there are other options. If you buy direct from DC you have complete control over the food you get.

They both involve a hefty up front outlay though, even on easy/flexi pays its still a lot in one go, to risk, postage costs and all.

I suppose it depends on how much you want to lose weight and how you choose to spend your money Tristar. I'd been slim all my life, then I hit that dreaded age where I just had to look at food and I expanded. I didn't control it and very soon I was big. I didn't recognise myself in the mirror and just didn't feel like me any more. Hated myself like that and was desperate to get back to the old me. One month I tracked everything I spent on food, and at the end of the month I realised that DC cost only a little more than I was already spending, so that and the fact that I so wanted to lose weight was more than enough incentive to go for it. Buying direct from DC meant there was free delivery too. Can't think of anything I'd rather have spent the money on, to me it was worth every penny, but only you know whether it would be worth it to you.

I think there are 3 main advantages to the Diet Chef programme, but these could easily be replicated with a DIY-system (which is what I did). The main advantages to diet chef are:
1. It teaches you portion control,
2. It is based on a low GI diet, to ensure that you stay feeling full and satisfied without lows and highs
3. With all meals provided it ensures that you do not under-estimate your actual calorie intake and all the thinking is done for you.

Both Diet Chef and Weight to go are based on roughly a 1200 calories a day diet, with their foods supplying c850 cals a day, and then you add in the rest with your milk allowance, a fruit portion and 2-3 vegetable portions. Scout is absolutely right that these diets do totally retrain your eating habits, and this can be very hard to do for yourself when you first start dieting.

I've recently lost 30lbs in 3 months, and I did this by following a 1000-1200 cal a day diet. My secret weapon when I first started was children's ranges ready meals. The reality is that to follow this sort of diet, you need for your evening meal (before fresh veggies) to be under 300 cals and preferably under 250cals (you will see that most of the Diet Chef evening meals come in under 300 cals, but if you look at most supermarker "lighter" meals, they are closer to 400 cals and some are even closer to 500cals). Children's ready meals are generally 200-250 cals because the portion size is so much smaller.

Here's what a typical day looks like for me (1185 cals in total inc veggies, fruit and milk):

Breakfast - 40g Lizzie's Chocolate Granola + 50mls skimmed milk, 2 cups of tea with Half Spoon c300 cals
Mid morning snack - 2 clemantines 70 cals
Lunch - Half Covent Garden Soup + Multigrain Thins spread thinly with Humous, cup of tea with Half Spoon 260 cals
Afternoon snack - Muller light fat free greek yogurt 70 cals
Evening Meal - M&S Simply Kids Beef Lasagne, 50g each peas, carrots, broccoli, cup of tea with Half Spoon 320 cals
Snack - Packet of Nairns Cheese Bites, 1/3rd tub salsa, cup of tea with Half Spoon 165 cals

It is very hard at the start to be so disciplined, and so both Diet Chef and Weight to Go have a place in helping you to adjust and retrain your eating habits. However, there is no "magic" to what they do, you can replicate it yourself, but you need to be an avid reader of labels!

If you are looking for a free resource to help you control your calorie-intake, I can 100% recommend myFitnessPal as an app - it is excellent and I use it every single day.

Thanks, JBD, it has helped that along the way, I had a few short term goals to aim for. So my first 10lbs was achieved in 4 weeks when I booked a last minute holiday, then I went on holiday, ate without guilt, but only gained 1lb. Similarly, I've just had a no-holds barred Christmas and gained 2.4lbs but lost 2.6lbs in the first week back on my diet (I'm still dieting as I would like to go down another dress size).

I'd be interested to know what Scout is doing now, if he/she is on a maintenance level now? My thinking is that when I achieve goal, I'll do 2 days a week on 1200 cals a day, and then the remaining 5 I'll have a slightly bigger evening meal, but I can honestly say that I don't need any more food during the day at all. It will be good to be able to have the odd cake etc, especially since I love baking so much.

I've also really enjoyed the challenge of making-over recipes to hit the target calorie count. When I started off, I did rely on ready meals, as it meant that I was "safe" on cals, but now I cook batches of stews, fish pies, cottage pies etc at the weekend, all at under 350 cals a portion. Yummy!

I really wanted the konjack/slim be stuff to work because main thing with me is no diet ever makes me feel full, when I have smaller portions I loose all energy and feel so hungry. at the moment Im considering scrapping any thoughts of diets and just accepting it and is it better to be thin and thoroughly miserable or a bit chubbier but more happy. I need lots of energy to get everything done and the thought of my ice cream and flakes at night, help get me through the crap of everyday life.

Whenever they do diet chef, they show you the granola that is your breakfast in a bowl, there is not enough there for a mouse, its barely a spoonful. Same for their meals, so tiny.

I just love the trailer on Q I've just seen for DC, nice close up shots of crisp green salad leaves & fresh rasberries & other fruits, all the things YOU DON'T GET IN THE ORDER LOL! The trailer also said whilst showing the said fresh foods that it's the largest home delivery diet meal company in the UK, implying that what you see is what you get. No doubt it's all legally covered as they go into it during the presentation but personally I found the ad very misleading! I pity the poor people who wait up until midnight to then discover what it actually consists if!

Whenever they do diet chef, they show you the granola that is your breakfast in a bowl, there is not enough there for a mouse, its barely a spoonful. Same for their meals, so tiny.

Exactly what I thought when I had my first DC dinner (a curry), thought I'd be starving. But added the amount of brown rice they said, and some spinach, and ate it. When I finished I realised that while I'd have kept eating if I'd had the amount I was used to eating, I wasn't actually still hungry. I'd have eaten a larger portion from habit, not because I needed to. Had some fruit for dessert and that was the beginning of me losing 4.5 stones without it being difficult. Fact is if we're overweight it's because we eat more than we need and once we accept that we don't need the amount we're eating, the rest is easy.

Latest posts

Back