Dogs in bali

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruthmay

Registered Shopper
Just read on the WSPA site an appeal for the dogs in BAli - they are being poisoned, 50,000 of them allegedly, because of the risk of rabies. they are appealing for donations, but this is just to say Bye Bye Suarti. I will not support this. Will return the ring I have just bought, although it is very nice, and give my reasons. 50,000 of them!

This is awful every way. Rabies is horrendous but execution by poison disgusts me. Honestly though the treatment of animals in many far eastern countries is shameful so I doubt if Bali is alone in its glory about this. In South America they were shooting dogs on sight but tough luck if the bullet wasn't immediately fatal and the animals suffered long painful deaths.

Dogs in Bai

This is awful every way. Rabies is horrendous but execution by poison disgusts me. Honestly though the treatment of animals in many far eastern countries is shameful so I doubt if Bali is alone in its glory about this. In South America they were shooting dogs on sight but tough luck if the bullet wasn't immediately fatal and the animals suffered long painful deaths.

Totally agree Vampire, and I really like my Suarti ring, but cannot condone this kind of torture. Death by poison is also agonising.There is not a lot we can do, but I wil not put money in their pockets.

Just read on the WSPA site an appeal for the dogs in BAli - they are being poisoned, 50,000 of them allegedly, because of the risk of rabies. they are appealing for donations, but this is just to say Bye Bye Suarti. I will not support this. Will return the ring I have just bought, although it is very nice, and give my reasons. 50,000 of them!

Sorry if I'm been dense but are you suggesting that Suarti is poisoning these dogs?

I think Ruthmay may not wish to support a company which is contributing to the economy of a nation that has this policy on animal control.

Dogs in Bali

I think Ruthmay may not wish to support a company which is contributing to the economy of a nation that has this policy on animal control.

Thank you Vampyre, you put it much better than I did.

The problem of Rabies and any other disease will not be stopped by the killing of these animals, only delayed. They would be better off using any money collected in a strenuous castration programme to cut down on unwanted dogs.

As a child I lived in Malaysia. Every 6 months the local goverment hired in tribesmen to kill stray animals. people were warned to keep their pets at home or risk losing them. At the time it shocked and horrified me but age has brought a little understanding. They had to do something about the problem and that was the cheapest and easiest way to take care of it. Most people either didnt care about the dogs or chased them(usually with a large knife).
big dogs = work dogs, small dogs= pets. This problem is not just far far away either. You only have to look around half of Europe to see terrible animal cruelty.

I don't buy products that originate from two European nations because of their practices. However In Ireland we have a shameful lack of animal rights legislation and shocking incidences of cruelty and I am deeply ashamed of this fact. I got the standard fob you off letter from the government dept. but as ever things only change here when absolutely forced to, never because it should.

There will always be people (or evil B'rds) who slip through even the strongest regulations. Its a sad fact that animal care is low on most agendas. hence so many charities.

If governments not only changed the laws to make it illeagal to abuse animal but also enforced the laws then things in this world may start to get better... But then again, if governments considered people as important as money things may start to get better too.

Don't get me started on the cat problem in Greece. I have vowed never to go back there after seeing the way they treat their animals, I was sick to my stomach every day of my holiday. It really upset me. But unfortunately that's the way they treat their animals over there and there will never be anything we can do about it. Sadly, I have to turn a blind eye/ear to animal and child cruelty stories, otherwise I just wouldn't get up in the mornings. How sad and evil this world is, and how powerless us caring beings are to help :-( I wouldn't be supporting Bali's economy either - you send that ring back and give them a piece of your mind too. It won't do any good, but it'll make you feel a little bit better!

Don't get me started on the cat problem in Greece. I have vowed never to go back there after seeing the way they treat their animals, I was sick to my stomach every day of my holiday. It really upset me. But unfortunately that's the way they treat their animals over there and there will never be anything we can do about it. Sadly, I have to turn a blind eye/ear to animal and child cruelty stories, otherwise I just wouldn't get up in the mornings. How sad and evil this world is, and how powerless us caring beings are to help :-( I wouldn't be supporting Bali's economy either - you send that ring back and give them a piece of your mind too. It won't do any good, but it'll make you feel a little bit better!

Thanks Capirossi, all you say is true. Bali, despite the romantic connotations and obvious beauty, is probably a poor country. The people who work on the Suarti jewellery are probably very badly paid and struggle to survive, so yes, as you say, animals are not a priority.

I really like the ring but it would always remind me of suffering animals.

Whatever. Rabies is a problem in Bali, wild dogs potentially carry rabies, it's a fairly poor nation (yes?) so they have to do something cheap and effective. I'd rather hear of a thousand dead dogs than one person dead from rabies. (I'm not a hater of animals at all, btw, I just don't have the same perspective as the originator of this thread.)

And what has this got to do with Suarti? I'm sure she's giving lots of people a paid job that will keep them and their families alive, so I'd be quite happy to pay for one of her pieces in order to help keep these people in a job.

It's a bit like someone from another country hearing about some of our recent horrific stories where children have died through the neglect and abuse of their carers, and saying "Well, I'm not spending another penny on a British product until they get their children's well-being protected."

Last edited:
they eat cats and dogs in some far eastern countries, so do you boycott your local chinese take-away?

Different countries, different cultures...

Did not happen in Hong Kong where the Chinese living in the UK come from. It was a British colony until late 20th century, infact pet owners freaked out thinking the Chinese government would make they destory their pets. Also Korea is the other one.

Never like Stuarti's range, did hear before she used sweat shop labour to make her tat. Makes her enough to travel the world in style. For years this type of silver has been on the market cheap to buy, she goes on QVC and charges more for it. You think she is giving it all away to the poor in Bali. She is a business woman you makes money for herself.

Last edited:

Things are changing, albeit slowly. It is tourists like yourself who have helped to bring about much of the change, not by boycotting the country but by writing letters of protest and supporting animal charities. I work for a program that feeds and neuters strays which is making huge strides. Apart from the routine work of ensuring the health of thousands of strays, we go into schools as it is the children who will bring about the biggest change. I have had one of my cats shot and another poisoned , but the work goes on.

When I was small, I often spent time at my Grandfather's farm in the country, in the U.K. and saw much casual cruelty towards animals both from the farm hands and the people around. In later years, we acquired two cats, on separate occasions, from different people, both of whom were in the process of being drowned because "they were a nuisance" - the last one was less than 20 years ago. I also successfully engineered a prosecution against a neighbour who was poisoning cats and dogs because they ran into her (unfenced!) garden so it is relatively recently that some in good old Britain are starting to realise that this behaviour is unacceptable.

Re the cats in Greece, they do not breed or they produce much smaller litters when food is scarce.All the kind tourists feeding them at Taverna tables means that they are well fed in the Tourist season and often produce a second litter in September (the first is generally in March). The kittens from the second litters often starve to death as all the tourists have gone. I know many wonderful Greek people who look after colonies of stray cats and dogs but there is a limit to what they can do and many tourist places shut down for the winter. Feeding them is actually a cruelty in itself.

There is cruelty everywhere, education and practical help is the key.

I am not sure this thread is appropriate. If forum members have specific information about the ethical practices of a company that sells on QVC I would like to hear about them. But so far on this thread I have read nothing substantiated by fact specifically about the ethical practices of the Suarti company. I am sure that many of the companies that QVC deal with produce their products in factories in countries where animals may be treated unethically in various ways. But to use that against the company does not seem right to me (as CountessK also said) - unless they are in some way directly involved in that practice.

I am not sure this thread is appropriate. If forum members have specific information about the ethical practices of a company that sells on QVC I would like to hear about them. But so far on this thread I have read nothing substantiated by fact specifically about the ethical practices of the Suarti company. I am sure that many of the companies that QVC deal with produce their products in factories in countries where animals may be treated unethically in various ways. But to use that against the company does not seem right to me (as CountessK also said) - unless they are in some way directly involved in that practice.

:mysmilie_471:

Well said, DrJude!!

Things are changing, albeit slowly. It is tourists like yourself who have helped to bring about much of the change, not by boycotting the country but by writing letters of protest and supporting animal charities. I work for a program that feeds and neuters strays which is making huge strides. Apart from the routine work of ensuring the health of thousands of strays, we go into schools as it is the children who will bring about the biggest change. I have had one of my cats shot and another poisoned , but the work goes on.

When I was small, I often spent time at my Grandfather's farm in the country, in the U.K. and saw much casual cruelty towards animals both from the farm hands and the people around. In later years, we acquired two cats, on separate occasions, from different people, both of whom were in the process of being drowned because "they were a nuisance" - the last one was less than 20 years ago. I also successfully engineered a prosecution against a neighbour who was poisoning cats and dogs because they ran into her (unfenced!) garden so it is relatively recently that some in good old Britain are starting to realise that this behaviour is unacceptable.

Re the cats in Greece, they do not breed or they produce much smaller litters when food is scarce.All the kind tourists feeding them at Taverna tables means that they are well fed in the Tourist season and often produce a second litter in September (the first is generally in March). The kittens from the second litters often starve to death as all the tourists have gone. I know many wonderful Greek people who look after colonies of stray cats and dogs but there is a limit to what they can do and many tourist places shut down for the winter. Feeding them is actually a cruelty in itself.

There is cruelty everywhere, education and practical help is the key.

That is key to remember. See how children are treated in the civilised western world, let alone animals.
You make a few great points, Artemis, because you are well informed about the context as well as the problem.
Congrats on the fab job you do to address the issue in practical terms.

Just to add (because it struck me once I'd sent my post) that Ruthmay is entitled to be put off buying from the company - but what I was concerned that the thread was going rather outside the remit of this forum.

Latest posts

Back