Downgrading your QVC items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Capirossi

Guest Shopper
After reading Rainbowdotties excellent thread, and all this talk of reckless spending, it has got me to thinking...

If you had asked me before Christmas what QVC items I couldn't live without, I would have given you a list as long as your arm! But I think I have slowly been coming to terms with the amount of stuff I buy from there that I don't really need, and Rainbow's thread has confirmed it :mysmilie_687:

So here you go, these are the items I couldn't live without:

*My Philip Kingsley items - elasticizer, body building shampoo, moisture balance conditioner and maximiser. I can honestly say, hand on heart, these have made a dramatic improvement to my hair, and I have tried so many brands over the years. These are a definite keeper!
*Elemis exotic frangipani monoi - mositure melt and/or shower cream. Ok, I could live without these, but I don't want to be without the smell of frangipani in my life!
*Philosophy Poreless Flawless - again, I probably could do without, but so far it's the primer most suited to my skin, but I have only tried about 4 I think...so this has potential to be downgraded!

I could have said Elemis pro-collagen marine cream, but, after a bit of thought, the Lidl (or was it Aldi) Q10 moisturiser was a similar texture (if my memory serves me right) and let's face it (pardon the pun!) a moisturiser is a moisturiser is a moisturiser as long as it suits your skin - no matter what Ms Young says!

Items I could live without:

*Expensive bubble bath & shower gel - Philosophy, Elemis, L'Occitane. I love Asda's cocount bubble bath - what's wrong with using this?!
*Fake diamonds in sterling silver - the rings in Peacocks look just as good!!
*'Designer' cleansers and pointless toner - I used to love Tesco's version of cleanse and polish. At around £4.50 it was nicer on the purse too!
*Facial scrubs, serums and facial masks that MUST be done at least twice a week otherwise your face will fall off - I love homemade masks, bit of jojoba oil on the face now and again and use a flannel to get rid of dead skin cells!
*'NY Designer' make up - I used to be more than happy buying it from Boots - what has happened to me?!!! :mysmilie_81:

Sorry it's mostly beauty products, but that is mostly what I buy.

So, what items could/couldn't you downgrade?

Last edited:
Jewellery is the worst for me!! I have bought so much in the past and most of it does not get worn. I have spent so much money over the last two years so I have decided to seriously curb my spending and only buy what I need.

:mysmilie_348: Oooh excellent thread honey. :mysmilie_82: I'll have to have a little think and get back to you.

I would find it very difficult to live without Ojon which is the best thing I've ever used in my life for my thin, frizzy hair.
I wouldn't like to live without my Malley eyeliner and blusher as they are fab!
I would have difficulty managing without craft products as, for me, QVC has reasonable postage rates and there are no craft shops here.
We need SBC which is great value if one chooses carefully....

I can live without all the expensive bath products, and in fact, gave them up ages ago for products from our nearest Boots-alike.
I can give up nail products which usually include colours I'll never wear and other bits I won't use - and we have a Sephora in town now.
Now that QVC silver goods are so expensive, I'm going to look around locally as we have some beautiful artisan shops.

I don't really buy much else as I've already cut back drastically...

Capirossi, good thread. Only thing I can't live without is Philip Kingsley shampoo, but that's all. I don't use his other products though I do use a Redken deep conditioning treatment - however both do last me months (and the family also uses same shampoo.) Re: moisturiser you are so right. The one from Aldi is very good, but I did find a really fantastic one in Tesco from their Natures something or other range and I'm mega pissed off cos they've discontinued the range. But I use Boots own range too, specially make-up remover (I'm horrified by the price of the Gatineau remover etc)

As for everything else WE DON'T NEED IT !! (LoveHeart will be along very soon........)

Capirossi, good thread. Only thing I can't live without is Philip Kingsley shampoo, but that's all. I don't use his other products though I do use a Redken deep conditioning treatment - however both do last me months (and the family also uses same shampoo.) Re: moisturiser you are so right. The one from Aldi is very good, but I did find a really fantastic one in Tesco from their Natures something or other range and I'm mega pissed off cos they've discontinued the range. But I use Boots own range too, specially make-up remover (I'm horrified by the price of the Gatineau remover etc)

As for everything else WE DON'T NEED IT !! (LoveHeart will be along very soon........)

...on her broomstick........:mysmilie_17:

This IS a good thread.

I love Leighton Denny colours, but for long-lasting, I have tried the Tesco 'make-up' (Barbara Daly) nailvarnishes and I find they last really well on me - and you can get 'seasonal' small sizes for a couple of quid... The yellow-ridding treatment is good too. Tesco also do a nail file similar to his 'crystal' one which is much cheaper in their nail care section.

I used to use PK shampoo and elasticiser, and tried a conditioning mask from Avon, and it was very good - not quite as good as PK elasticiser, but at one tenth of the price, I can use extra each time anyway.

Stll hooked on Elemis - milk bath, papaya enzyme cream, and Decleor - System Corps

I am sure as much as I love it I could give up l'occitane without a problem
there are plenty of good ranges in boots and the body shop
I could give up my candles aswell as I have so many stashed away!! there are other websites to buy from too
infact to be honest theres nowt on qvc I cant live without,thats rather sad in a way isnt it

Truthfully,there is NOTHING that I can't live without,whether from QVC or not! I am assuming you mean consumer products,not your family or medication (at the moment I am on a lot of necessary meds and my kids mean EVERYTHING to me.) I lived quite happily without QVC before I discovered it around 6 years ago. When they closed my account for 6 months whilst I refused to pay for a shoddy PC which they refused to take back (but I won in the end!) I enjoyed a healthier bank balance and missed nothing at all. Even though I love Liz Earle I can go weeks sometimes without using it as I simply can't be bothered. So anything I do buy is either me being silly or taking the easy way out of finding a present for someone (although I prefer Amazon for this-and the fact they have no p&p charges!)

Have deceided (never could spell that word) that I can do without it all!!! deep breath.....as she pauses at the impact to self of this shocking statment. I recently went through my jewellery collection which is so vast it rivals an Pharoh's essential packing for the next world, (well it fills 3 Prezerve wrap style thingies) and I felt a disturbing mix of emotions the predominate one being "what the hell posssed me?" Most of it I have never worn. Shiny sparkly things are such a weakness with me yet I am sat here typing only wearing a pair of studs (and clothes of course!), so i never wear the half of it. As to the beauty stuff which is another weakness, I am so hacked off by the p and p for a little tiddly thing like a mascara that i have stopped buying. I do love Elemis products but as now only doing part time work cannot afford them.Speaking of Tesco they used to do a lovely neroli sugar body scrub for about a fiver and they don't stock it any more. Boo!

:mysmilie_348: Oooh excellent thread honey. :mysmilie_82: I'll have to have a little think and get back to you.

:mysmilie_61: I was mentally composing it in my Asda strawberry kisses bubble bath (on offer at £1) staring at my decadent Elemis shaving foam - thinking 'what the hell?' - I used to shave with Asda own brand before QVC :mysmilie_73:
I wait with baited breath L'A!

So good to see I am not the only one that can live without their tat :mysmilie_17:

:mysmilie_348:

I couldn't live without:

My birkenstocks (although i don't need to buy them from qvc) - I suffer really badly with circulation problems which in turn causes enormous hard/dead skin (Or Rhino feet as my hubby calls it :mysmilie_17:) Birkenstocks give me easy comfy,supported footwear - and I literally live in mine from April to september.

Could live without

My kipling bags - bit fussy about them anyway,think I've gone off them a bit - so would do well so see what out there in the high street.

My L'Occitane face moisturiser - flick between this and LE and this comes out a winner for me every time,again due to circulation problems,I have bad quite facial skin.However have about 4 of these stashed so can live with that stash for years.

Make-up - pleasantly surprised by boots everytime I go in there :mysmilie_696:

jewellery - not a primark fan - but hear the jewellery is bang on trend,so may check them out.

Great thread! 5 years ago I bought all my skin care from Tescos/Boots - Olay branded and make up from Boots or occasional posh stuff duty free. Then .... I started watching QVC and caught a Philosophy show with the lovely Lee. :mysmilie_17:

Ever since then I've been buying all my skin care from QVC (all Philosophy) and Philosophy and L'Occitane bath stuff (used to use Radox!!) I also ugraded my shampoo to Tigi (not on QVC). I would hate to sit down and work out the cost of it all but I do think the QVC bundles do make the posh brands more affordable and the bottles do last quite a while. I also think my skin is better with the posh bath stuff as it's less drying. However, I always say to my husband that if we ever fall on hard times my QVC habit will have to stop. :mysmilie_1867: (I really hope not though as I love it all :mysmilie_17: )

I could live without everything.
I choose not to, because I can appreciate the effect on my skin and hair of the products I am currently using, as opposed to the cheap alternatives I had used for years. I do not mind spending £15 on one L'Occitane shower gel; it can last for weeks. I could just finish it off and then buy another one. What I mind is the binge shopping everytime I am in a L'Occ store.

Forgot to add that Killjoy Fart is not around tonight. Please speak freely.:mysmilie_17:

Last edited:
I could live without everything.
I choose not to, because I can appreciate the effect on my skin and hair of the products I am currently using, as opposed to the cheap alternatives I had used for years. I do not mind spending £15 on one L'Occitane shower gel; it can last for weeks. I could just finish it off and then buy another one. What I mind is the binge shopping everytime I am in a L'Occ store.

Forgot to add that Killjoy Fart is not around tonight. Please speak freely.:mysmilie_17:

Oh yes I am WS. I am back and not on my broomstick either Artemis.
I just want to add that we could all live without most of the stuff we buy from QVC if not all of it.
I have given up on Philosophy from QVC, although I have bought some great bargains from TKMaxx. IF I never buy anymore Birki's or Kipling bags I would still have enough to fill a small shop with. Elemis and L'Occitane are lovely but I could live without them. I use Philip Kingsly but although it is making my hair feel soft and well conditioned I'm sure I could find something in Boots which would work well. All in all I never need to make another purchase from QVC.:mysmilie_696:

Last edited:
Hmmm...that's an interesting one.

Well, 5 years ago, all my facial and bathing stuff came from boots, superdrug and TBS. I used to have occasional spending frenzies then, but at least they didn't run into the amounts I now regularly seem to spend.

On the plus side, my skin, which was unbelievably dry, is much better for using L'occitane bathing products. I recently used a Boots aromatherapy bath soak (orange and bergamot) and started thinking what was all the fuss about L'occitane. It was only when I got out of the bath and dried myself, and the horrible itching started, that I realized exactly what all the fuss was about. Luckily, I only tend to get the really value for money TSVs, not the ones with two things I love, and 3 things that have been added in to pad them out.

Skin care - currently loving A'kin after weaning myself off LE - the former is much better value and is giving me great results, whereas the latter seems to be getting more and more expensive! Got a catalogue in the post and it said they are putting their prices up (AGAIN!!) in March 2010.

Make-up - love Laura geller. Again I would never buy single items, but tend to go for kits which work out cheaper. B n B and Blush n B really make me look better, and anything that does that is a must for me!

On the downside, I have serious dark circles, and some of that is caused by bad sleeping patterns from staying up to watch the TSVs - thankfully I rarely do that now!

Jewellery is the worst for me!! I have bought so much in the past and most of it does not get worn. I have spent so much money over the last two years so I have decided to seriously curb my spending and only buy what I need.

try buying from ebay & go to the states to get them.........[ in the outlet shop the SILVER DQ rings are about £5 -£15 depending on the make model how much bling & if its tacori etc.........[ not much of that gets sent back ].

the only thing i would really miss is LE, BE and ojon but the rest i could definitely do without.
Like many others i managed for years without all the gunge and goo i've bought over the years from qvc.I used to be quite happy with boots NO7 make up. I've recently gone back to a lot of the high street brands and my skin hasn't started peeling off and my bank balance is a lot healthier.

Latest posts

Back