Downgrading your QVC items

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Floracil is the one thing I wouldn't want to be without. THE best eye make up remover, IMO. As for the rest, well I do have champagne taste but beer money so I love using the 'posh' goodies but as I have enough stuff to rival sephora now I won't need to worry if I don't buy any more for a few months(or years....!).

Well to be honest I love my Elemis and will only buy if a TSV and I want what's in it. Otherwise I can get better deals on Elemis elsewhere, salonskincare with 20% off now and then or the bay.

Makeup the only brand I like on QVC is Smashbox and appart again from TSV's its justbeautdirect.co.uk for me or the bay US version. There is a Smashbox TSV on QVC America on the 22nd looks fab, but will we get it? If not I don't buy.

My favourite foundation is a brand called Sisley it costs £58 for a bottle!!! Yes that is right. But I buy my on ebay France and get it less than half price for testers, they are new and unopened and I don't care.

Bath products and I have vast stockpile, I do not need to buy it for a long time. If I want L'Occitane the Belfast shop twice a year has a sale where some stuff is 50% off and the rest everything in the store is 25%!!!!! Again no shipping.

Jewellery I don't buy much for a very long time from QVC. I did buy the Lapis bracelet which was a TSV and a Blueberry Quartz ring in clearance before christmas. Otherwise I look on the bay again and have got some gorgeous stuff really good deals. I find alot of QVC jewellery old fashion and boring.

Now I do swear by the sonic toothbrush I bought last year, but would never dream of going to QVC for replacement heads cheaper else where.

I can honestly say there is absolutely NOTHING that QVC sell that I can't live without. I do use Elemis Cleanser and Toner, and bought 2 lots last year, but when I've finished that, I'll look for something else to replace it with.

Oh dear. Like most of you, I was quite content with good old Boots. I remember once, I was thinking of changing my foundation and was horrified at the prices of posh ones. I had a long conversation about paying for the "name" and how could they justify charging so much. I did eventually switch to Clarins and that's when I started getting a taste for more upmarket products. I have always been prepared to spend more on haircare because my hair is thin and frizzy but when I tot up how much I must have spent on Ojon over the last few years (whether on QVC or Ebay) it is quite scary.

I have bought a few bits of gold jewellery. My theory was that all my cheap costume jewellery ended up losing its "gold" look very quickly and I thought it would be a better investment in the long run to buy some real stuff. Also, I can only wear gold in my ears. However, in keeping with the general 80/20 theory, I wear the same couple of pairs all the time.

I do like my Laura Geller Balance n Brighten and my LE C&P. But when it comes to fancy showergels, while L'Occitane is nice it really is a bit of a luxury and I've only ever bought it once. I'm using M&S £1 a bottle stuff at the moment and it's fine. I have also started using L'Occitane shea butter shampoo and conditioner which is good.

However, all of the above, minus the jewellery, can be bought much cheaper on the Bay.

I realise I have gone a bit off-topic but essentially, if I really had to, I could revert to much cheaper options.

Things I would rate as must haves would be:

Ojon
Leighton Denny (they sell it in London and Cambridge but it costs me more in train fares than QVC's P&P)
OPI (see above)
Yankee (depending on what HomeStore & More have in stock - they don't stock a wide range though so QVC is my back-up!)

I've got a couple of Honora necklaces and a couple from Lola Rose which I am very happy with and don't feel the need to buy anymore.

I get most of my make-up/bath products from Boots coz of the points so wouldn't worry me not get Smash-box again (I like their eyeliners and have a few so will be ok for a while LOL).

Floracil is the one thing I wouldn't want to be without. THE best eye make up remover, IMO. As for the rest, well I do have champagne taste but beer money so I love using the 'posh' goodies but as I have enough stuff to rival sephora now I won't need to worry if I don't buy any more for a few months(or years....!).

I've recently started using the new Bourjois eye makeup remover and I have to say it's FAB! It's a two phase remover but oil free and comes in a huge bottle for under a fiver if i recall correctly. I started using it only as it's too expensive to keep buying my favourite (Neutrogena) from eBay. The Bourjois one definitely compares favourably and worth a try I reckon!

Tx

I had a big think last night and the only things I'd be really loathe to do without would be my A'kin, Hairfix and Philip Kingsley Elasticizer & Maximiser

Luckily, because of the way you use these products they are an annual or 6 monthly purchase for me, and they are on sale online, on The Bay, and in department stores - so I'm by no means tied to QVC in order to get them.

Next on the list would be my Mally SSG and Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner - but even with daily use you have these products for years and only need to replace if they get lost or damaged (and again, they're not exclusive to QVC.)

Then my TreSonic - but hopefully I won't need to buy another for quite some time.

It's been lovely since I've got my A'kin + TreSonic routine down to to a fine art cos I can safely ignore all the other skincare brands QVC sell. I don't feel as if I have to worry about finding out about the lastest thing cos I've found what works for me. It's brill! :D

Have had a think about this and there are a few things that QVC sell that I could not do without but I am not always loyal to QVC and will buy elsewhere:-

Cleanser - used to love C&P until the formula changed. I will however try AKin when I have worked my way through the stockpile I have of C&P and Elemis Pro-Radiance. Wouldn't even consider going into Boots to buy a cleanser now.

Toner - I still don't think that using one does anything and after use of my stockpile will try to find a cheaper alternative to LE however from past experience have found that you have to be careful with high street ones. Saying that though I wouldn't mind trying the M&S one (£2.50 a bottle).

Moisturiser - sorry but couldn't give up my PCMC for anything. Luckily QVC are quite predictable and put a pot in each December TSV so MrM stockpiles these for me.

Saying that I can't use it at night time as it's not rich enough and use LE Skin Repair Moisturiser and have recently tried Elemis Maximum Moisture which I also like. Basically whichever I can get cheapest from wherever when I've finished the pot of Boots Time Delay I have now (this doesn't leave meyskin as soft as the LE or Elemis) I will buy.

OPI and Leighton Denny - I find these easier to apply and more hard wearing than high street lacquers. Again, though I'll buy from wherever. Always buy cheap lacquer remover though, can't see the sense in paying more for this.

I do like Smashbox and Laura Geller and would like to think that I can keep treating myself to these but am not opposed to buying make up from Boots. The only make up item that I cannot live without though is Benefit Lemon Aid although I would be happy to try a cheaper alternative so long as it worked the same. This stuff hides my tea bag eyelids completely.

Shower gels - I think that buying cheap ones is false economy as I end up using loads and going through bottles of it very quickly. My faves are Philosophy and I now get my sister to pick me up bottles when she visits the States. I don't mind which body lotion I use - quite like Body Shop body butters and tend to buy them on special offer.

I love L'Occitane liquid soap and know it's expensive but it's the only one that does not dry my hands out. I used to suffer from chemical dermatitis and am now getting over dry spell on my hands from using the soap in the workplace I was in. So, for me this is worth it. I also love their hand creams and Molten Brown hand lotions but in this respect I'm open to trying something from the high street as a cheaper alternative.

It's funny isn't it how we become conditioned by what QVC tell us we must have/need. Take for instance eye cream. For ages since I've been buying PCMC Keeley and AY were saying that an additional eye cream was needed so I avoided putting PCMC there and have tried different eye creams - LE, Elemis PCMC and Philosophy. Then recently the tune seemed to change and it's ok to use PCMC on the eyes. I've recently been using Absolute Eye Serum and Bobbi Brown Eye Balm (received a sample of this) and my under eyes look great but then at the same time I've been eating more healthily and exercising more since new Year and always get enough sleep so do I need an eye cream? Bet you I don't but because I've been brainwashed into thinking I NEED one I'm now wondering which one to go with next. Well have decided I'm not. I have two trial sizes of LE Daily Eye Repair left in my stockpile and once they're gone I'm not replacing them to see whether I do need one or not. (Kind of makes up for all the other stuff above that I've said I can't live without!).

It's been lovely since I've got my A'kin + TreSonic routine down to to a fine art cos I can safely ignore all the other skincare brands QVC sell. I don't feel as if I have to worry about finding out about the lastest thing cos I've found what works for me. It's brill! :D

I used to feel this way about C&P. Can't wait to try A'Kin but it will have to wait until the stockpile is cleared. x

I used to feel this way about C&P. Can't wait to try A'Kin but it will have to wait until the stockpile is cleared. x

You're being a very good F.A.R.T VALM - Loveheart will be ever so pleased to hear you say that, :mysmilie_1451: Every time my son and daughter and I (we're all using it now!) get to the end of an A'kin Cleanser I have a little check in with myself and think about if there's another one I fancy trying but so far I've just repurchased the Rose and Geranium. (I have some diddy Mir starter sizes on the go as well but I tend to save them for times when I'm in a tearing hurry or dog tired cos they don't need rinsing.)

You're being a very good F.A.R.T VALM - Loveheart will be ever so pleased to hear you say that, :mysmilie_1451: Every time my son and daughter and I (we're all using it now!) get to the end of an A'kin Cleanser I have a little check in with myself and think about if there's another one I fancy trying but so far I've just repurchased the Rose and Geranium. (I have some diddy Mir starter sizes on the go as well but I tend to save them for times when I'm in a tearing hurry or dog tired cos they don't need rinsing.)

I know, I'm looking for a gold star from LH!! In all seriousness though I've just finished a temp job and don't know whether I'll get another assignment/job anytime soon. I had a surprise this week because I got a payment that I wasn't anticipating (only because I hadn't calculated properly) so MrM has told me not to spend it cos it's money for our hols which he's right about so I shall stick with my cleansers in my stockpile for now. x

I know, I'm looking for a gold star from LH!! In all seriousness though I've just finished a temp job and don't know whether I'll get another assignment/job anytime soon. I had a surprise this week because I got a payment that I wasn't anticipating (only because I hadn't calculated properly) so MrM has told me not to spend it cos it's money for our hols which he's right about so I shall stick with my cleansers in my stockpile for now. x

Fingers crossed on the job front then chick. I know stockpiles are in general a Bad Thing but mine got me through Hubby being unemployed for 9 months so I was glad that I had one at that point. :eek:

I'm gonna add LG to mine.I've just recieved my baked begining - and its great.

Now ordinarily,I'd go straight to QVC and order some more.I would order a kit plus the three baked powders in full size (maybe not the bronzer actually).

But I'm not.Obviously with my current resolve I can't - but I'm sure she said she has a TSV in april - so my baked beginings are here to stay,and I will wait for the TSV :)

I couldnt live without smashbox and laura geller
Ive seen that tsv donna it does look fab, wonder if we will get the kit in full?

A cleansing product, used to be C&P but have improved skin since ive stopped useing it, so atm its akin

Decleor prolagene gel
Decleor ylang ylang balm
everyting else i think i can live without if i had to, like philosophy any bath products even ojon

There isn't much I could not live without although I am very fond of L'Occitane hand creams and Decelor (although mostly i buy cheaper elsewhere!)

I would have said BE foundation but since your suggestions on here to try lilly lolo, i am quite content with that and save a few pennies so doing!

I buy silver jewellery from time to time but that is a treat not an essential!

Every thing else is supermarket for me!

I think the 3 things I couldn't live without that QVC sell (but which I buy from elsewhere!) are ...

Akin Cellular Radiance Serum
Akin Rose & Geranium Cleanser
LE Instant Boost skin Tonic

Well to be honest I love my Elemis and will only buy if a TSV and I want what's in it. Otherwise I can get better deals on Elemis elsewhere, salonskincare with 20% off now and then or the bay.

Makeup the only brand I like on QVC is Smashbox and appart again from TSV's its justbeautdirect.co.uk for me or the bay US version. There is a Smashbox TSV on QVC America on the 22nd looks fab, but will we get it? If not I don't buy.

My favourite foundation is a brand called Sisley it costs £58 for a bottle!!! Yes that is right. But I buy my on ebay France and get it less than half price for testers, they are new and unopened and I don't care.

Bath products and I have vast stockpile, I do not need to buy it for a long time. If I want L'Occitane the Belfast shop twice a year has a sale where some stuff is 50% off and the rest everything in the store is 25%!!!!! Again no shipping.

Jewellery I don't buy much for a very long time from QVC. I did buy the Lapis bracelet which was a TSV and a Blueberry Quartz ring in clearance before christmas. Otherwise I look on the bay again and have got some gorgeous stuff really good deals. I find alot of QVC jewellery old fashion and boring.

Now I do swear by the sonic toothbrush I bought last year, but would never dream of going to QVC for replacement heads cheaper else where.

I am of a similar mind to you Donna. I have learnt quite a bit from watching QVC but finally I have learnt to shop around and be a canny shopper. Well, I try! I love the sonic toothbrush and cant imagine having to use a manual model:mysmilie_697:
There is not much to tempt me in the jewellery either as so much is so old fashioned . We are the poor relation to QVC US. They get the best stuff.
I dont buy QVC bath stuff now as I am now working through my stock pile. I discovered some lovely smellies in Tescos although I admit I am still addicted to LE orange flower bodywash.

ooh really think it has to be the PK Elasticiser as I have had truly awful hair for years and it is the only thing that has turned it around, in space a few weeks went to hair dressers and it was first time they have nt held it up gingerly and made a face and insisted on cutting it all off. (hence i hate hairdressers). I have been able to grow it more than a few inches and still able to colour it madly and it looks like real hair again.

I bought the large size PK elasticiser was about 40 quid but it will last over a year im sure and i use it once a week overnight.

Apart from that I think the only other thing i would reluctantly give up is the Philosophy Micro scrub wash as it really makes a difference. Cant find anything like it on the high street.

Also the Akin Rosphip oil as it got rid of discolouration on my face.

Would nt get candles from qvc as darls tarts are much better to be honest.

I still think the silver jewellery is good, i have sent few things back lately tho
but def if i had to choose one thing to keep it would be the elasticiser.

Last edited:
oooh forgot laura geller often get the tsv s they are normally good but to be honest you can shop around on ebay for the balances and blushes.

I'm removing my LG - thought the first day the baked beginings was good.................now I look dirty,orange and red! Gonna have accept the baked isn't for my skintone.........thats ok,all saving me money :)

Latest posts

Back