Easy Pay, my eye...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

So what you are saying is that QVC shouldn't offer Easy Pay? If so, then you are denying many shoppers a benefit they really appreciate because a minority of shoppers don't have the self-control to shop within their means.

If that's not what you're saying, then what exactly are you saying? How could QVC 'act more morally and responsibly' when offering Easy Pay? Do you expect them to run debt helpline numbers along the bottom of the screen when they offer it? It's very clear when you use Easy Pay that you will have to pay the remaining instalments. If you don't have the necessary self-control you should turn the TV off.

I was making a more general and wider point, about the lessons learned from the banking crisis,I didn't mention QVC. QVC is a very minor player in terms of offering credit (although they've conveniently increased it's availablity now that money's tight to help persuade people to part with their cash).

There is no easy answer to this is there? If easy pay is affordable for a certain individual, that's great. Otherwise some more vulnerable folks just run up debts they can't afford. Also, if you are really strapped for cash, get rid of the Sky or cable!

I am an ITU nurse. Sadly, I see all too often the result of people attempting (and sometimes succeeding) to end their lives due to debts. Often their families know little or nothing of their money worries and it is so sad. People will keep paying the damn Sky bill because they don't want to make it obvious that they can't afford life's little extras. Another reason is simply denial and not wishing to give something up. This lifestyle of aspirational living is thrust upon us all the time, the message of "me time" or "you deserve it". Be the best, own the finest and so on...

I agree that QVC are putting temptation in the way of vulnerable people but everywhere you go it's the same - even on the dreaded high street! I went through a phase of over-spending about 10 years ago, much of it on QVC. It took me 2 years to pay for the rubbish I had bought and in reality I didn't need any of it! I was lucky in that I realised that I had a problem soon enough that I was able to control myself but is extremely tempting to buy from the television. I still get a few things but only what I know I can afford. I never use easy pay because I worry that I will forget about the item by the second month.

Inge :eek:)

I can't see the point of putting lower priced items on easypay; £12 in 3x £4 installments seems a bit pointless but the higher priced "considered purchase" items it can be a real incentive to buy from QVC over other online competitors where there's little price difference.

Jude xx

One benefit of EP's...

I tend to use EP's when its offered as it is a convenient way of trying something for 30 days and not having to shell out the full cost up front, particularly for bigger ticket items.

F'rinstance I bought an Acer Netbook for my daughter for Xmas, hoping that she would love it but me not being 100% certain as it was to be a 'surprise' present. The fact that they offered it on four EP's meant that she had it on
Xmas Day and still had a bit of time to try it out, before the 30 days was up...... and at a much lower initial outlay for myself. Am delighted that she was 'wowed' and it has been so useful to her.

Wow. We really do live in a 'I'll blame everyone else for my problems but not myself' culture, don't we? If you get drunk and do things you regret then it really is your own fault! If you don't have any self-control with your finances then cut up your credit card and get help. QVC is a shopping channel, it's not there to stop stupid people from running up debts!

I'm very aware of the way companies target vulnerable people having had the unfortunate experience of my mother having been put on what's known as a 'suckers list'. She was suffering from the early stages of dementia and was very easily persuaded by unscrupulous (and seemingly scrupulous!) companies to be parted from her cash.
Thank goodness she didn't watch qvc or I dread to think of the parcels that would have arrived at her door!
Some people are not in control of themselves for reasons other than stupidity and I do think retailers have duty of responsible selling.

Easy pay will spur me on to buy an item,that I like - but may not have considered it,as previously it was at the whole amount.And this is what QVC want.

I don't buy much from QVc anymore - but I have bought things in the past - and been pleased I have been able to *spread* the cost ie emu's.I roughly work out in my mind when the finishing month will be - and because I don't buy much,I don't have to really work out how many I have going!

From someone who was always quite frivolous with money,I'm actually surprising myself when I say to a certain degree I agree with white russian :blush:

As in the rest of the world there are things that we need, things that we want and things that we'd like. Some can afford more and some can afford less - that is how our society is made.

QVC is a business (like thousands of others) and there to make a profit - that's not evil or even immoral - it is a fact in a democratic capitalist economy.

So, it offers payments by instalments? It's not asking for your first born in exchange is it? Like everything else in life, it is about choices - you can take it or leave it...

I always take advantage of easypay because it helps with cashflow, but I much prefer a discounted price or free p&p as that represents a real saving :clapping:

I have just checked my account and am shocked by how much has been taken off this month by my excessive buying on QVC these last few months on 'easy pay'. At the beginning of April I bought a Northern Nights duvet set on easy pay, then toward the end of the month I purchased a differant set as a 'One Time Only' and used a code given me by QVC for Easy Pay...then a Summer set of large Yankee Candles on the Royal Wedding 'Easy Pay' voucher....then I used the latest 'Easy Pay' voucher for Gems Day to purchase a Northern Nights throw in clearance that I had my eye on....eeeekkkk!!! I am totally ashamed of myself and, although I'm happy with all my purchases and none will be returned, I am appalled at how much I've spent. Lesson learnt...I'm never using 'Easy Pay' again. After this lot is paid off I'm on the wagon :doh:

When they devised "EASY PAY" they were well aware of the phenomenon that you got caught up in.In fact,I bet they were banking on people doing just that.An EASY PAY here...an EASY PAY there..here an EASY PAY ,There an EASY PAY and so it goes.I wonder why they don't include an EASY PAY tracker on the QVC website,or App.HA!!
Don't feel bad..it's easily done.JUst have to say to yourself ,I'm not doing more than X Easy Pays a year.
I hate that term EASY PAY too.It implies and assumes far too much.They may like to think of themselves as the Harrods of TV shopping,but thats just cloud cukoo land.
It's only EASY if you can afford it ,and when they say,..for example on a very expensive item,that you ONLY have to pay £200 today,followed by .... etc.ONLY?
Again they're assuming far too much.
As cheesy as IW is,their term "Flexi Pay" is based in the real world and doesn't assume that the payments are "EASY for anyone,only that they're offering flexability.
Saying that,both are designed to get you to keep parting with your money and hopefully losing track of how many Easy/Flexi pays you;ve done.

Latest posts

Back