Gemporia - struggling financially?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ah thank you, that's very kind!

I've no issues with businesses making money. That's what they're created for. What I do have issue with is businesses misleading customers and treating customers like mugs in order to make money. Even if some of the tactics used are legal, many are immoral. When sales tactics are illegal, I will report them.

I'm by no means in the know at all. Some of my opinions are merely that - opinions. I do have an 'intermediate' range of knowledge when it comes to gemstones though. I am a collector of faceted gems and minerals, I collect rough specimens, I search for rare and unusual stones from other countries that are rare or very hard to obtain from UK sellers. All of my gemstones knowledge is self-taught through research. I don't know everything there is to know - nowhere near - but I know the important things to look out for. I know treatments very well - to the point where I've even corrected Gemporia on a few occasions, despite them supposedly having their stones lab tested and having presenters that are GIA certified. It baffles me how some mistakes with treatments have slipped through the net.

If there's one thing I'm very particular about, it's gemstones treatments. Unless I'm 100% certain that treatment of the stone that I have bought is exactly as described, I won't touch them. If sellers are vague about their treatments, I also won't touch them.

It makes me cross when treatments are purposely not mentioned, for example, when presenters sell diffused or fissure-filled sapphires, they'll not mention the treatment at all - they'll focus on the colour and carat weight instead. But when they sell an untreated stone, they'll make it very well known - because they know that untreated stones are more desirable, and, a lot of the time, worth more than treated stones.

It also annoys me when names of stones are changed to gimmicky marketing names, potentially with the aim of misleading customers. The likes of 'Serenite', 'Plush Diamond Sunstone', 'Cuprian Sunstone', 'Lehrite' and Oregon Sunstone are all the same stone. If the intention isn't to mislead customers, why the need for so many names?

Gemporia often refer to buyers as "collectors" - so is the name changing done to possibly make "collectors" thinking that they're buying a gemstone that they haven't already got? Who knows? But it's certainly possible that buyers could think that a stone is "new" or something that they don't already own, because they've seen it with a different name. A collector could have bought 'Serenite', 'Plush Diamond Sunstone', 'Cuprian Sunstone', 'Lehrite' and Oregon Sunstone jewellery, thinking they have five different stones, without actually realising that they're all the same thing! Legal? Yes, unfortunately. Morally right? Not in my opinion, no.

I can't change the bad things about the industry - but where I can open people's eyes to them and raise awareness, I will do my best.

As for your choice of username - I'm not offended, don't worry! :ROFLMAO:
Many thanks for not being offended by my name ☺️.

Your willingness to share your knowledge with regards to gemstones and act to help people with legalities of sale, advertising and consumer rights is something I respect, thank you.

I have been reading everyone’s posts about their feelings and experiences with Gemporia once I discovered the forum. It echoed mine.

I only wish I discovered this forum before parting with my money and made better decisions. Business is designed to make money and all is fine, except when it makes money with the tactics that have been employed.

People are understandably fed up with the half an hour of “educational“ presentations from the “experts.” As a fairly new “ collector and a connoisseur“ I have to admit that I have listened and bought some truly “rare jade“ as an investment. For anyone who joined recently and have not been subjected to repetitive lectures from Mr Smiley (aka Dave) before, the tactic truly works… it worked on me at the beginning, until the you see the theatrics of Mr Smiley making a mistake on his calculations every time , gets “cross” and storms off to do whatever it is he does. I believe it was Hattie’s birthday when she “gave away” the Precious Conch when he had to go and ”reflect “ on the price , he came back to only offer the item even cheaper that the “mistake”! Amazing and offensive!

Mirabelle’s story is especially upsetting, she has sent Jess a beautiful photo album for the wedding! Do the presenters understand that telling people that they are a “friend in the living room” targets a particular vulnerable demographic? People who have a little bit of money and with the guidance of that ”friend”on the TV spend it as advised. It might be legal, but it is so very deplorable morally,

Many thanks for not being offended by my name ☺️.

Your willingness to share your knowledge with regards to gemstones and act to help people with legalities of sale, advertising and consumer rights is something I respect, thank you.

I have been reading everyone’s posts about their feelings and experiences with Gemporia once I discovered the forum. It echoed mine.

I only wish I discovered this forum before parting with my money and made better decisions. Business is designed to make money and all is fine, except when it makes money with the tactics that have been employed.

People are understandably fed up with the half an hour of “educational“ presentations from the “experts.” As a fairly new “ collector and a connoisseur“ I have to admit that I have listened and bought some truly “rare jade“ as an investment. For anyone who joined recently and have not been subjected to repetitive lectures from Mr Smiley (aka Dave) before, the tactic truly works… it worked on me at the beginning, until the you see the theatrics of Mr Smiley making a mistake on his calculations every time , gets “cross” and storms off to do whatever it is he does. I believe it was Hattie’s birthday when she “gave away” the Precious Conch when he had to go and ”reflect “ on the price , he came back to only offer the item even cheaper that the “mistake”! Amazing and offensive!

Mirabelle’s story is especially upsetting, she has sent Jess a beautiful photo album for the wedding! Do the presenters understand that telling people that they are a “friend in the living room” targets a particular vulnerable demographic? People who have a little bit of money and with the guidance of that ”friend”on the TV spend it as advised. It might be legal, but it is so very deplorable morally,
I found the Mirabelle story very upsetting too and the combination of pushing the 'friend in the living room' theme and constant positioning ofmundane purchases as 'legacy' is crossing the line on so many levels of decency and ethics. The more I think about these tactics the crosser I feel and I'm tired of hearing the caveat of we can't give investment advice whilst implying investment value by referencing unrealistic comparatives / pricing. There is a huge difference between hard selling an overpriced dress on tv and jewellery because a key reason for purchase may well be around inherent worth and Gemporia knows this and seems willing to exploit.

I am not so sure it is legal it is very borderline for me.

The issue is how many people that pass away with these vast collections have family members who either have the time or inclination to challenge things.

Dealing with family estates is testing enough without this sort of extra complication.

You would have to gather evidence of what was said at the time of sale at least for a good number of the items (nobody is going to have these) so the only option would be to log some massive complaint with the ASA in the first instance to obtain the footage. From personal experience, the ASA is barely fit for purpose for pretty basic things but I can't see any other way.

Once you had some evidence you could write to the company involved perhaps suggest a phone call or meeting of some kind and maybe an amicable settlement could be made.

If that didn't work then a very expensive legal case would ensue.

Not many are going to want to do any or all of that.

Jess is the one presenter I just cannot listen to at all with the constant repetition of inane, patronising words and phrases. If she's on, I'm gone. I remember a while ago she was on with Hattie for a Destello show and would not shut up interrupting with her wow, absolutely and yeah yeah yeahs. Even Hattie was finding it hard to finish a sentence which is not something you see everyday! 😁

Absolutely! ;-)

The issue is how many people that pass away with these vast collections have family members who either have the time or inclination to challenge things.

Dealing with family estates is testing enough without this sort of extra complication.

You would have to gather evidence of what was said at the time of sale at least for a good number of the items (nobody is going to have these) so the only option would be to log some massive complaint with the ASA in the first instance to obtain the footage. From personal experience, the ASA is barely fit for purpose for pretty basic things but I can't see any other way.

Once you had some evidence you could write to the company involved perhaps suggest a phone call or meeting of some kind and maybe an amicable settlement could be made.

Sadly im sure you are right. Dave has just been on with his Madagascan blue sapphires. There was a Lorique ring that was £1799. He was comparing to the finest Ceylon etc and saying there would be nothing like it in Bond Street. That in itself is designed to make potential customers think they are buying an investment piece by implication. Personally I thought the stone in that ring was very dark and that there would be nothing like it on Bond Street because what you see there is far and away superior 😀

Sadly, thats why Gemporia, and many other TV channels get away with so much.

I've lost count of the amount of "Last Ever Nilamani" and "Last Chance Argyle Diamond" shows (alongside many more) we've heard. Now, technically, this would 100% get a warning from the ASA if evidence was provided - but the problem is, we would have to record every show, for months on end, until the next "Last Nilamani Showcase" hour to prove when the previous "Last Ever Nilamani" shows appeared on air. Nobody of sane mind is ever going to do that - so its impossible to give dates and times to the ASA for them to investigate.

Sadly im sure you are right. Dave has just been on with his Madagascan blue sapphires. There was a Lorique ring that was £1799. He was comparing to the finest Ceylon etc and saying there would be nothing like it in Bond Street. That in itself is designed to make potential customers think they are buying an investment piece by implication. Personally I thought the stone in that ring was very dark and that there would be nothing like it on Bond Street because what you see there is far and away superior 😀

Was it the natural Madagascan blue sapphires, or the opaque diffused ones? I certainly hope it wasn't the latter at that price!

Unless sapphires are untreated or heat-treated, I won't touch them. Diffused or filled sapphires, I'd throw into the nearest skip.

Sadly, thats why Gemporia, and many other TV channels get away with so much.

I've lost count of the amount of "Last Ever Nilamani" and "Last Chance Argyle Diamond" shows (alongside many more) we've heard. Now, technically, this would 100% get a warning from the ASA if evidence was provided - but the problem is, we would have to record every show, for months on end, until the next "Last Nilamani Showcase" hour to prove when the previous "Last Ever Nilamani" shows appeared on air. Nobody of sane mind is ever going to do that - so its impossible to give dates and times to the ASA for them to investigate.

And that is the crux of it

You would be more up on this than me but they did a few years back anyway have to keep recordings of every show for ASA purposes. I am not suggesting all the shows should be on catch-up as it is shopping tv at the end of the day but there should be an easier way to track things,

And that is the crux of it

You would be more up on this than me but they did a few years back anyway have to keep recordings of every show for ASA purposes. I am not suggesting all the shows should be on catch-up as it is shopping tv at the end of the day but there should be an easier way to track things,

I know that all shows, across all selly-telly channels, have to be recorded and stored for a period of time, but in my opinion, a very specific log detailing the precise name of each hour of each day should also be compulsory.

The log should have the ability to be uploaded to an independent database where the channels cannot get access to the log once they've submitted it (to prevent any editing at a later date).

Organisations such as Trading Standards and the ASA should then be able to access the database, find all of the "Last Ever Nilamani" shows quickly and easily, and obtain footage of just those shows and then investigate accordingly.

At the moment, I think the only way they could do that is by trawling through months, weeks, days and hours of footage to find the part where the complainant said "Well, it happened one afternoon sometime in the last 6 months". Its not really do-able because of the amount of time and staff it would require to do it. :-(

Was it the natural Madagascan blue sapphires, or the opaque diffused ones? I certainly hope it wasn't the latter at that price!

Unless sapphires are untreated or heat-treated, I won't touch them. Diffused or filled sapphires, I'd throw into the nearest skip.
It was 2.27 H treated, I just thought the design and colour were underwhelming. Debby Cavill's designs and gemstones just presented are on a different level at £1995 per piece. Amazing.

just had a1ct internally flawless ring on for £999.00 which sold. Yesterday it was £649. Messaged in about it. Needless to say message not shown. Hattie too busy shouting about how good the deals are ! turned over Chanel.

just had a1ct internally flawless ring on for £999.00 which sold. Yesterday it was £649. Messaged in about it. Needless to say message not shown. Hattie too busy shouting about how good the deals are ! turned over Chanel.
I didn't catch this presentation as I had to switch off 3 mins into Hattie's show as my ears were hurting. 😦

How do they get away with it? It's kind boggling. I can't help but think Steve is aware of this Jake obviously does.!!

I didn't catch this presentation as I had to switch off 3 mins into Hattie's show as my ears were hurting. 😦
I can no longer watch Hattie I find her very insincere. Almost but not quite as bad as Angeline and Ellis

Just received an email from Steve regarding Primal apologising and stating that they are working hard to get it back to normal!!!!

I got that too, I didn't think there had been much Primal on (apart from the collagen and slim shots) I can't remember the last time I saw omega 3

Wow so disappointed. For the second time a parcel arrived from Gems with the contents stolen. The packages are just so easy to open at the sides. Why can’t they change them? Now have to wait for a long time to get reimbursed. What a waste of everyone’s time and money. 😞😞😞

Wow so disappointed. For the second time a parcel arrived from Gems with the contents stolen. The packages are just so easy to open at the sides. Why can’t they change them? Now have to wait for a long time to get reimbursed. What a waste of everyone’s time and money. 😞😞😞
I have had THE same problem it's not good news. I had to have a police crime number etc. You are right it takes a while to sort out and all the while your money has gone along with the item. Hope it's sorted soon.

I’m mean I’m presuming I’ll get the money back but maybe I won’t? Such a horrible feeling when you are looking forward to a parcel arriving and find someone has interfered with it.

Latest posts

Back