Im done with buying Yankee candles.. They get on my wick

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I used to wax lyrical about YC from QVC but like many of you have found they now lack strength of smell, they tunnel even with a few hours burn and they burn with a dirty flame that blackens the jar rim and even the wall. The exception being the YC I buy in Florida which don't do any of the above and produce an aroma that gently wafts around the house.

Is it possible that YC are made especially for QVC to a different "recipe", ie cheaper poorer quality ?

could well be

I`m going to give this site a go when I`ve used up my stash. They use natural waxes and have some good deals on melts and will soon be selling candles by all accounts.
http://www.scenty.uk/

I have just bought a large jar of Beach Holiday, its the first jar l have bought in ages. I am almost scared to try it in case l am disappointed. I feel Yankee have REALLY been letting us down recently and if this candle is poor then that's it as far as l am concerned. I will not buy a jarcandle again but just stick to melts.

Having bought Yankee candles for some years I have found that they are definitely not the same now. They all seem to give off the same perfume a short time after lighting. I have the electric tart burners and it is the same with them. I recently bought a Pecksniff kit - Raindrops on Roses - containing a candle and a reed diffuser and it is lovely. I have the reed diffuser in my craft room and after four weeks it is still smelling beautiful. The candle is excellent. Lit it in the conservatory and after the candle was out you could still smell it ages afterwards.I also found problems with the large jars. I tried everything and they still tunnel. The tea lights hardly smell at all these days, if we get any sunny weather I will use them to keep the flies away when sat outside in the garden in the evenings. I will not be buying any more Yankee candles. I have a stash to go through but after that it is Pecksniff for me.

I have just bought a large jar of Beach Holiday, its the first jar l have bought in ages. I am almost scared to try it in case l am disappointed. I feel Yankee have REALLY been letting us down recently and if this candle is poor then that's it as far as l am concerned. I will not buy a jarcandle again but just stick to melts.

Beach holiday is one of the new ones and it does have a stronger smell on the tarts than some of the other newbies so you should be OK. If you bought from QVC then send it back. I sent back loads of votives as they were rubbish and didn't smell of anything unless I broke them up and put them in the tart warmer. When I bought them years ago when I first saw Yankee on QVC, I loved the votives. Something has gone awry and I suspect they are using a different recipe for QVC sales - treating us like gullible fools perhaps? I'll be the first to admit that I have been just that, but they're getting no more of my cash for these items.

CC

Toril, I was given a Yankee candle, (have never bought any myself), and yours is identical to my experience. The smell was like a cross between petrol and other chemicals, and no noticeable fragrance at all - I've had much cheaper ones, bought from a Factory Shop for next to nothing, that have been nicer and lasted longer.. ended up throwing the Yankee one away. Put me right off.

I stopped using Yankee because they seemed to give off a 'petrol' type smell and the fragrance didn't make much of an impact. I switched to Milkhouse Creamery and love them. They're soy and beeswax and the scent permeates through the whole house. I use reed diffusers in the bathroom and downstairs cloakroom .......... but they're not Yankee ones.

I also use flameless candles.

I have not bought one Yankee from QVC. All have been from reputable shops. It has only been in the last 15 months that l have noticed the distinct lack of scent so l really don't think the blame lies with QVC. I think Yankee are doing something different. When l first bought the largejars the whole house would be scented from one candle! That certainly does not happen now. Long standing scents like Clean Cotton and Fluffy Towels have had very weak scents whereas originally hey could almost be overpowering. What HAVE Yankee done?

Gosh that last bit of my post is very garbled. What l meant was very famous scents used to be beautiful, almost overpowering but they are SO weak now. I really wonder what is going on.

I`m going to give this site a go when I`ve used up my stash. They use natural waxes and have some good deals on melts and will soon be selling candles by all accounts.
http://www.scenty.uk/

These Scenty Melts remind me of some melts that one of the ST.com members made and sold years ago on here. They were lovely to use and all the ones i had were lovely smelling as well. The lovely Darlene i think it was.

Have to agree with whats already been said i'm afraid, they are getting very samey and the smell definately does not last as long.

I've never been a huge fan of Yankee - most of the scents I liked are no longer available and I prefer the double-wick jars which are hard to find.

I buy in Homesense/TK Max sometimes - Park, Bahoma etc. are lovely. I also like the little Seda tins (great for bedside table), Voluspa, St Eval and some of the ones in metal tins. I get tea lights in Sainsburys, M&S etc. - a bit hit and miss with fragrances but they are good for freshening up kitchen/dog smells :sun:

Always on the lookout for scented candles and like looking in gift shops for something a bit different.

I once bought in TKs Bahoma 'vanilla Black' and it was STUNNING
Alas, never to be seen again

Thank you for your feedback
So today I bought, a 'reed' thingy with a glass bottle doo-dah. This is my first reed experience, So far, so good. The scent is very subtle, kind of 'fills the room its in' rather than 'fills the house its in'

I was a devoted Yankee burner, but due to being fed up with my reactions, dirty sooty walls, and now what seems 'diluted' scents. Yankee are no longer Doodle Dandy. I did switch to an ebay seller whom makes her own ice cube tarts in all different bizarre tempting varieties such as 'float my banana boat' 'ring my bluebell' & one of my favourites - 'crazily baileys'

Thank you for putting me straight on the Goodsphere .. which I will order. In the meantime I've also ordered this.. if for nothing else but comedy value because to me it looks like a smoking doughnut!

woodwick candles are nice. lovely scents and a soy based wax plus the crackling sound but not cheap

Like so many of you, I've loved Yankee Candles for years, but am also getting fed up with the jars now because they've become very sooty, and lose their pure scent once they start doing that. I also agree that the scents aren't nearly as strong any more, I remember one jar would fill the whole of my house with it's scent, and linger until the next morning - but not any more. :-(
In future, I'll be sticking to the melts, and for candles I'll be looking out in TKMaxx/Homesense after finding a lovely Bahoma candle with an evocative scent I remember from the little candle shop under the bridge in Boscastle, Cornwall where I fell in love with candles nearly 50 years ago.... amazing! lol

These Scenty Melts remind me of some melts that one of the ST.com members made and sold years ago on here. They were lovely to use and all the ones i had were lovely smelling as well. The lovely Darlene i think it was.

Have to agree with whats already been said i'm afraid, they are getting very samey and the smell definately does not last as long.

I still buy my tarts from Darlene, 50p per tart (yankee size) and she has a huge selection and the fragrance seems to last ages.

Well l have had my Beach Holiday on for 4 hours and it smells of bugger all! I am extremely disappointed. The melts smell so lovely but with this large jar there is no throw whatsoever! Even my husband who is not a Yankee fan commented he couldn't smell a thing.. Believe me, he is very sensitive to smells and normally complains like mad about scented candles. I will probably just use melts in future but part of me thinks why should l bother lining Yankees pockets when they have definitely changed the quality of their products. I have had a couple of Woodwicks in the past, they were lovely so l may well convert to them. They are a little bit noisy for me though!

Well I have only been doing the YC thing for about 4-5 years and have had a lot of good luck with them. But as many have said, in the last couple of years the fragrances have become 'diluted'. Also like many of you, hubby and I have overstocked greatly and vowed to use up what we have before buying anything new. However, last year at the anniversary show we lost control and bought a lot of favourites that were available. Once again we vowed, no more until we use up our overstock. I worry that if anything were to happen to us what would people say who found all the jars of YC?! :) Probably something along the lines of 'they could have had a nice holiday with what they spent of this.' Anyway after buying the Cappuccino Truffle which smells wonderfully strong in the jar (as if Roast Coffee and Whoopie Pie beget Cappuccino Truffle), but it has hardly any fragrance or throw unless standing over it as it burns. Something clicked inside and the YC enthusiasm was snuffed out, hopefully not to be revived (at least until our current oversupply is greatly diminished!).

We now smell test YC at the local garden centre or House of Fraser before buying anything new as we feel that the fragrance has been diluted. Probably cutting back the essences to save on production costs. If that is the case, then YC is short-sighted as there won't be any repeat buyers and longstanding fans quickly learn that YC ain't what it used to be.

i find the illuma lids really help as they are metal and distribute the heat well. you may have to use foil as well depending on how solid/cold your wax is. i usually need 4/5 hours but can get a pool in around an hour with a illuma lid

I've got one of the lids but struggle to get large jars to pool even after 4 hours! I've got a Cassis large jar on the go at the moment and even after leaving the room then returning I can barely smell anything. I remember a few years ago burning a lemon sampler and the fragrance spread through two rooms and upstairs.

Well I have only been doing the YC thing for about 4-5 years and have had a lot of good luck with them. But as many have said, in the last couple of years the fragrances have become 'diluted'. Also like many of you, hubby and I have overstocked greatly and vowed to use up what we have before buying anything new. However, last year at the anniversary show we lost control and bought a lot of favourites that were available. Once again we vowed, no more until we use up our overstock. I worry that if anything were to happen to us what would people say who found all the jars of YC?! :) ....

Don't worry, you are not alone in over-stocking. I've got boxes of the things.

In answer to your question in bold above, if I found your jars, I would probably say, "Is that all?!"

I used to buy quite a bit of Yankee, both candles and melts but like other people I found they either smelled too artificial or didn`t smell at all. The last batch of large jars I bought were from The Works just before last Christmas and they were charging less than a fiver each and they were made from soya wax. The smell was good, the throw was good and no black sooty marks or tunneling. Since then they haven`t had them in stock but I`m hoping they`ll get more in the run up to this Christmas. If they do then I`ll certainly buy more. The brand was Starlytes and I`ve got just one large jar left.

Latest posts

Back