Is QVC Closing Down ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When I first came across shopping channels at a relative's house I didn't even know they existed, as you had to buy a set-top box to see them.

When I later bought a box for myself, I was very impressed with QVC and the quality of their demos for gadgety stuff, with Tim Goodwin and Anthony Heywood etc.

They really did demomstrate and explain things well in those days. But the latest "demo" I watched yesterday was a man screwing and unscrewing a screw with a MANUAL screwdriver!

It was enthralling, who knew that you could put the end of a srewdriver nto the head of a screw and turn it, and the screw would go into or out of the wood, depending on which way you turned it?

I haven't watched any live QVC for years now, I just look online at any items that look interesting, and the demos are useless. And the details on the website are useless too, they ALWAYS leave out vital information, and if I have time, I ask questions about the missing info, even if I have no intention of buying. I was hoping they might improve their descriptions, but they never do.

Its time has come! When I started watching, I had no internet so it was a viable option for buying things. Nowadays. demos of almost anything can be seen on store websites or on youtube. Its days are definitely numbered.

I agree. This is done all the time with fashion. "oh you can wear the sleeve long, or turn it back to show off your jewellery" - stating the bleedin' obvious.

Its clear that QVC have been ditched by countless brands in recent years. It was always my 'go to' place for all crafting products (some of which I still use today) and when it was a Craft Day that was me installed in front of the tele for 12 hours - well almost. Similarly with Gem day - my c/card really got a hammering.

There was such a lot of variety back in the day - even Blue Moon days where unusual brands would appear. Now its the same brands - mainly beauty (just look how many beauty tsvs there has been since Christmas !!) on a continual loop, and who remembers Marla Wynne being practically the only product presented in the early days of Lockdown !!

Checking on QVC US its a different ballgame. It really is like an online Department Store - choice of home accessories - not just ****** Bumbledick the Ladybird, even crockery is available, and some of the jewellery is to die for. But not here, anymore.

Q have been continuing as if the world hasn't changed. Technology has moved on, and so have conumers. Retailers that don't adapt well? Remember Debenhams? How quickly it seemed to implode...but it was revealed that poor decisions over many years before meant no quick fixes could save them... The final death blow was when the Top Shop empire also collapsed. The loss of all those brands made Debenhams too unattractive as a viable business on the high street.
The current owners are keeping the brand alive online, but it's not the same.

Q don't really have even as much loyalty and affection in their customer base, despite the impression Qurio may give.

I think that Q in the US may wonder if the cost to save Q in the UK is really worth it. Would it just put off the inevitable?

I enjoy selly telly, especially with how awful the news is constantly, it's nice not to see or hear a whisper of that... but I would miss this forum more.
Before Debenhams closed their stores and just after that, their website was awful. I recently had another look and their site is tons better and I sent for some padded jackets from Principles and a camel wool coat..each one had a huge saving (jackets were £27 from £120!), delivery was free, any return is free via your own choice. I returned one and they confirmed it straight away and refunded. Hopefully they will survive, at least online.

When I first came across shopping channels at a relative's house I didn't even know they existed, as you had to buy a set-top box to see them.

When I later bought a box for myself, I was very impressed with QVC and the quality of their demos for gadgety stuff, with Tim Goodwin and Anthony Heywood etc.

They really did demomstrate and explain things well in those days. But the latest "demo" I watched yesterday was a man screwing and unscrewing a screw with a MANUAL screwdriver!

It was enthralling, who knew that you could put the end of a srewdriver nto the head of a screw and turn it, and the screw would go into or out of the wood, depending on which way you turned it?

I haven't watched any live QVC for years now, I just look online at any items that look interesting, and the demos are useless. And the details on the website are useless too, they ALWAYS leave out vital information, and if I have time, I ask questions about the missing info, even if I have no intention of buying. I was hoping they might improve their descriptions, but they never do.

Its time has come! When I started watching, I had no internet so it was a viable option for buying things. Nowadays. demos of almost anything can be seen on store websites or on youtube. Its days are definitely numbered.

In those ‘good’ old days they just had a presenter on air, discussing the item, describing it in detail along with measurements and all sorts of detailed info. In other words, helpful stuff we’d like to know. Occasionally they’d have a guest on or an ‘expert’ - fair enough - but that was only sometimes.

Now they seem never to have a presenter on alone, actually presenting, and so they seem to spend more time chit chatting or gushing over how generally great things are rather than giving detailed information. They could probably save enough money in ‘brand ambassador’ wages to do away with the P&P charges if they went back to the original format, and we’d probably all be better informed. 🙄

I agree. This is done all the time with fashion. "oh you can wear the sleeve long, or turn it back to show off your jewellery" - stating the bleedin' obvious.

Its clear that QVC have been ditched by countless brands in recent years. It was always my 'go to' place for all crafting products (some of which I still use today) and when it was a Craft Day that was me installed in front of the tele for 12 hours - well almost. Similarly with Gem day - my c/card really got a hammering.

There was such a lot of variety back in the day - even Blue Moon days where unusual brands would appear. Now its the same brands - mainly beauty (just look how many beauty tsvs there has been since Christmas !!) on a continual loop, and who remembers Marla Wynne being practically the only product presented in the early days of Lockdown !!

Checking on QVC US its a different ballgame. It really is like an online Department Store - choice of home accessories - not just ****** Bumbledick the Ladybird, even crockery is available, and some of the jewellery is to die for. But not here, anymore.
Bumbledick the Ladybird :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

With the announcement that all restrictions are going to be lifted earlier than first anticipated (still too early imho) I wonder if the CS staff will stop working at home and will return to base. It might mean that customers aren’t waiting for ages for someone to answer their call or not being cut off.

It’s unlikely but you never know.
QVC US have CS staff working from home the past few years. That is why they can never pass to a supervisor if the customer is not happy.

In those ‘good’ old days they just had a presenter on air, discussing the item, describing it in detail along with measurements and all sorts of detailed info. In other words, helpful stuff we’d like to know. Occasionally they’d have a guest on or an ‘expert’ - fair enough - but that was only sometimes.

Now they seem never to have a presenter on alone, actually presenting, and so they seem to spend more time chit chatting or gushing over how generally great things are rather than giving detailed information. They could probably save enough money in ‘brand ambassador’ wages to do away with the P&P charges if they went back to the original format, and we’d probably all be better informed. 🙄
I remember when Julia always had a tape measure and a QVC ruler at hand, and would lay out items on the desk in front of her to show us the measurements. Now it’s just ‘look on the website’ or ‘go up / down a size’ or ‘send it back if it doesn’t fit’ blah blah.

Very few of the current presenters could hack the presentations of olden days. Pipa was the most way out one chatting about all and everything but it was just her to the camera, peopled phoned the gallery and she listened and commented. I remember a jewellery show when the chat was all about sweeties, another about awful presents and they were very injoyable, she still got the jewellery in and the stuff sold out in a flash. No me me me with BA‘s who are as bad and as poorly prepared. I didn’t mind the BA‘s at the start when it was either the designer or at least an employee of the brand not just someone hanging around doing half a dozen brands. This is why I will tolerate Nicki/Anna and S Wilson/late Nicki as they have a very close association with the brands.

I remember when Julia always had a tape measure and a QVC ruler at hand, and would lay out items on the desk in front of her to show us the measurements. Now it’s just ‘look on the website’ or ‘go up / down a size’ or ‘send it back if it doesn’t fit’ blah blah.
Oh now that brings back memories!
The QVC ruler was legendary 😂

QVC UK made a net profit of £48 million for the year to 31/12/19 which is a reduction on the previous year. This may be a pattern of slow decline unless the business model is addressed. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the future
I loved Whatters lovely lovely presenter.
He was extremely good at describing the products. Very sad that he killed himself.

I don’t think he was a particularly nice person, and not easy to work with. He was accused of harassing staff, and apparently used to lick the faces of his co workers. He lost his job at QVC over a diamonique ring demo. When his marriage broke up, and other changes to his life, he killed himself.

Another possible Deadpool member?

Someone asking on their Facebook about Alpha H, very few items online and is the brand leaving QVC?

This is the answer:

we haven't had any confirmation at the moment, but I've popped an email to our Buyers for some more information. We'll pop you a message when we have a response. - Meganne x

I don’t think he was a particularly nice person, and not easy to work with. He was accused of harassing staff, and apparently used to lick the faces of his co workers. He lost his job at QVC over a diamonique ring demo. When his marriage broke up, and other changes to his life, he killed himself.
I think he was told not mention Diana on the day of her funeral and he was showing a ring and he likened it to her engagement ring.

I think he was told not mention Diana on the day of her funeral and he was showing a ring and he likened it to her engagement ring.
Another possible Deadpool member?

Someone asking on their Facebook about Alpha H, very few items online and is the brand leaving QVC?

This is the answer:

we haven't had any confirmation at the moment, but I've popped an email to our Buyers for some more information. We'll pop you a message when we have a response. - Meganne x
Lots of popping going on from Meganne!

The Diana thing doesn't surprise me for Q in general. The sun always shines on tv and all that and, let's face it, many of us turn to Q for an escape from reality.

Latest posts

Back