Is QVC Closing Down ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

boffy

Registered Shopper
I can't believe the amount of discounting going on literally in every show. I Think somethings not right and QVC are closing shop.

Their business model needs a major revamp. Shopping telly was a novelty pre-online shopping and now the only USP is that you can watch the demonstrations of them applying the beauty products and get an in in depth spiel about the ridiculously named ingredients and what they purportedly do.

Is all not well at Q towers who is daft enough to buy at the discount prices,still seems expensive with the postage.
Briefly switched on yesterday a so called Qualified Beauty expert waffling on about all the ridiculous ingredients in the gloop.
Fancy baffling names still does not justify it working or maybe not working.
Yesterday just shows what is wrong at QVC starting with the tat sellers,some who can barely describe an item,and others who just waffle on about nothing when you carefully listen.
Standing presenting with an iPad or flicking your hair,glasses on the top of the head trying to give the impression you know what you are talking about,promoting yourself instead of the product etc just doesn’t cut it anymore in 2022.

Is all not well at Q towers who is daft enough to buy at the discount prices,still seems expensive with the postage.
Briefly switched on yesterday a so called Qualified Beauty expert waffling on about all the ridiculous ingredients in the gloop.
Fancy baffling names still does not justify it working or maybe not working.
Yesterday just shows what is wrong at QVC starting with the tat sellers,some who can barely describe an item,and others who just waffle on about nothing when you carefully listen.
Standing presenting with an iPad or flicking your hair,glasses on the top of the head trying to give the impression you know what you are talking about,promoting yourself instead of the product etc just doesn’t cut it anymore in 2022.

Me.
I bought some trainers i’d been wanting for over a year that were reduced from £120 to £83, and I’m really quite pleased with them.

I buy my clothes and shoes from M&S direct. They sell all the top designers now including Finery that QVC are now stocking. The delivery is free over £50.00 and is next day by Royal Mail. Or they deliver to your local M&S for free no matter how cheap the item is. You can try it on for free. Return it for free and the money is back in your account within 3/4 days max. They also take PayPal. They also sell L'Occitane and give you loads of special offers. I also get free food lol and deals on groceries.

I read the QVC US forum, as I have said many times, there are never complaints on the level of the UK branch.

Oh, and talking about clearance, who remembers the skin care that sat that long in clearance we joked it was old enough to go to school?

The downfall of QVC will be when the top brands they rave about dump them. The begging QVC did to get Molton Brown back, as customers asking for years to get it back. They came back but on their terms, not QVC the prices reflected that and the amount of discontinued fragrances that suddenly turned up on QVC in bundles. Molton Brown, great idea how to get rid of on mass of discontinued products.

Their business model needs a major revamp. Shopping telly was a novelty pre-online shopping and now the only USP is that you can watch the demonstrations of them applying the beauty products and get an in in depth spiel about the ridiculously named ingredients and what they purportedly do.
Most of the shopping channels have bitten the dust now. There are a few infomercial channels left, which I can only see if I turn my telly on pre 9am and from what I've seen, you can buy mattresses or you can buy exercise gear. Very occasionally it will be something else on offer, but nothing new or exciting. I remember the heady days of magic bullet demonstration, ahh bras, vacuum cleaners that sucked the dirt up into a water chamber, magnetic jewellery, handbags with magnetic clip on covers - innovative products. A lot of the stuff didn't catch on, but the stuff that did is old hat these days and can be bought anywhere and everywhere at competitive prices. I stopped following IW when they literally turned into a gents watch channel, and their website became a complete and utter tangled mess, but I will say for them they've tried to move with the times - Capped p&p, click and collect, free returns etc. The bid channels have gone!
QVC have stubbornly stuck to their outdated policies and have done nothing to try and keep up with the times. They think that it's enough to offer a 60 day mbg, and a few really ungenerous vouchers that are scarcely useable because of the clauses attached to them - imo, it isn't. I'm surprised they're still in business, but after seeing Qurio, I'm not, although, even the diehards are becoming disillusioned with them.
I don't want to see another channel bite the dust as despite me not buying any more, I find them relaxing to watch, and great to chat about on here. If they don't do something about their outdated business model then they deserve to go!

Q have been continuing as if the world hasn't changed. Technology has moved on, and so have conumers. Retailers that don't adapt well? Remember Debenhams? How quickly it seemed to implode...but it was revealed that poor decisions over many years before meant no quick fixes could save them... The final death blow was when the Top Shop empire also collapsed. The loss of all those brands made Debenhams too unattractive as a viable business on the high street.
The current owners are keeping the brand alive online, but it's not the same.

Q don't really have even as much loyalty and affection in their customer base, despite the impression Qurio may give.

I think that Q in the US may wonder if the cost to save Q in the UK is really worth it. Would it just put off the inevitable?

I enjoy selly telly, especially with how awful the news is constantly, it's nice not to see or hear a whisper of that... but I would miss this forum more.

I hardly watch QVC now because every time I decide to have a peek I have seen it all before.If I buy only because it is something I want, as opposed to an impulse buy and with the P&P factored in and am confident I will not return.That is the main reason I do not buy from them, why pay in the region of £10 to try something and return? I can shop easily from other sources i.e clothing try more than 1 size, free, return , free, quick delivery to the door or click & collect.Q have not taken this on, big mistake.

With the announcement that all restrictions are going to be lifted earlier than first anticipated (still too early imho) I wonder if the CS staff will stop working at home and will return to base. It might mean that customers aren’t waiting for ages for someone to answer their call or not being cut off.

It’s unlikely but you never know.

When I first came across shopping channels at a relative's house I didn't even know they existed, as you had to buy a set-top box to see them.

When I later bought a box for myself, I was very impressed with QVC and the quality of their demos for gadgety stuff, with Tim Goodwin and Anthony Heywood etc.

They really did demomstrate and explain things well in those days. But the latest "demo" I watched yesterday was a man screwing and unscrewing a screw with a MANUAL screwdriver!

It was enthralling, who knew that you could put the end of a srewdriver nto the head of a screw and turn it, and the screw would go into or out of the wood, depending on which way you turned it?

I haven't watched any live QVC for years now, I just look online at any items that look interesting, and the demos are useless. And the details on the website are useless too, they ALWAYS leave out vital information, and if I have time, I ask questions about the missing info, even if I have no intention of buying. I was hoping they might improve their descriptions, but they never do.

Its time has come! When I started watching, I had no internet so it was a viable option for buying things. Nowadays. demos of almost anything can be seen on store websites or on youtube. Its days are definitely numbered.

QVC UK made a net profit of £48 million for the year to 31/12/19 which is a reduction on the previous year. This may be a pattern of slow decline unless the business model is addressed. It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the future

Latest posts

Back