It it any wonder this country is going to the dogs?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Gem Genie

Registered Shopper
First of all my apologies for posting so late as I heard this said at the beginning of the week.

It was Catherine Huntley presenting and she was talking about the 30 day guarantee. Now I know people send things back and I know that some of the things find their way back out again but I really don't need to be reminded of it.

Time was when if you took something back to the High Street, it had to be in pristine condition with the tags still on and it was assumed that you had not worn it/them out for any reason and had a genuine reason for returning.

Catherine on the other hand actually said the other day that you could send things back " and by all means try them on and even wear them and wash them a few times if you wish and then if you just don't feel they suit you after all then send them back".

This made me feel quite sick. What kind of establishment would do this? It really makes QVC nothing more than a second hand shop or a nearly new stall.

If I am going to pay top whack for something and let's be fair, QVC is not a cheap pricewise, then I expect the things to be in absolutely perfect condition. If they are going to accept returns and of course they do then they should sell ALL this stuff in their outlet shops in Shrewsbury and Warrington and make it quite clear to everyone that the stuff there is either an overstock or possibly a returned item.

I have never understood why the two stores are so near to each other really. Warrington of course is very near to the Knowsley warehouse and midway to Manchester but surely it would have been better to have the other outlet in the south east and maybe have others too in the south west and north east.

I will not be buying clothes ever again from QVC, Lord knows who has worn them and for what purpose!!

If we are ever going to get away from yobbish and anti-social behaviour then we need to have the example set by retailers and television companies who do not advocate buying something on a whim knowing full well that it can be returned no questions asked. Is it too much to ask for a return to good standards?

I think, and to be fair to QVC, that the idea of shopping for items from the TV must have a different kind of business model then normal stores as otherwise no one would buy of the TV, especially fashion. Because of this they have to have outlets - although I assume mistakes will be made in the warehouse and returned items will be send, by mistake of course, to other customers, of course totally by mistake! And I also have to say that if I bought an item and it does not wash well, or has shrunk or something like that, I will also take it back to the store. And again to be fair (oh heavens I am defending QVC) if you did, by mistake, get a used item you can send it back to them after requesting a return label, so it does not cost you anything. And as far as the outlet shops are concerned I also have to say that loads of other High street retailers have outlet stores. I really can not see what is anti-social about that? Or am I misunderstanding you?

1. I don't accept this country 'is going to the dogs'. Have you visited other countries around the world? We fare pretty well.
2. The MBG is a good thing.
3. I have never received a product that appeared second hand or used. I'm sure QVC would not intentionally re-sell damaged goods in their main store and would be happy to replace or refund any item if this came to their attention.

I view QVC the same as a catalogue, you see it order it arrives you have a period of time to try on etc and then return if not suitable or doesn't fit. Sometimes mistakes can be made and you get a return which is obviously a return. Anything used in the way CHuntly stated would go straight to outlet. If just tried on and then decided no not for me, nothing wrong in it going out again to a customer. You go into a shop you have no idea how many times something has been tried on and by who. I spotted a jumper with a massive pluck hanging on a rail in Marks and Spencer, pointed it out to one of the staff. So I think someone tried it on,plucked it by accident and the sa just hung it back on the rail without really checking it.

1. I don't accept this country 'is going to the dogs'. Have you visited other countries around the world? We fare pretty well.2. The MBG is a good thing.
3. I have never received a product that appeared second hand or used. I'm sure QVC would not intentionally re-sell damaged goods in their main store and would be happy to replace or refund any item if this came to their attention.

I absolutely agree with this. I've travelled widely and never found anywhere that I feel would give me a better standard of living or that has better social and political structures. Home is not perfect but neither is anywhere else.

First of all my apologies for posting so late as I heard this said at the beginning of the week.

It was Catherine Huntley presenting and she was talking about the 30 day guarantee. Now I know people send things back and I know that some of the things find their way back out again but I really don't need to be reminded of it.

Time was when if you took something back to the High Street, it had to be in pristine condition with the tags still on and it was assumed that you had not worn it/them out for any reason and had a genuine reason for returning.

Catherine on the other hand actually said the other day that you could send things back " and by all means try them on and even wear them and wash them a few times if you wish and then if you just don't feel they suit you after all then send them back".

This made me feel quite sick. What kind of establishment would do this? It really makes QVC nothing more than a second hand shop or a nearly new stall.

If I am going to pay top whack for something and let's be fair, QVC is not a cheap pricewise, then I expect the things to be in absolutely perfect condition. If they are going to accept returns and of course they do then they should sell ALL this stuff in their outlet shops in Shrewsbury and Warrington and make it quite clear to everyone that the stuff there is either an overstock or possibly a returned item.

I have never understood why the two stores are so near to each other really. Warrington of course is very near to the Knowsley warehouse and midway to Manchester but surely it would have been better to have the other outlet in the south east and maybe have others too in the south west and north east.

I will not be buying clothes ever again from QVC, Lord knows who has worn them and for what purpose!!

If we are ever going to get away from yobbish and anti-social behaviour then we need to have the example set by retailers and television companies who do not advocate buying something on a whim knowing full well that it can be returned no questions asked. Is it too much to ask for a return to good standards?

Because the outlets are better suited to be close to the warehouse to cut transportation costs, also staff close proximity to Knowsley as well they would have to take into shop rental costs.

The outlets are about an hour and a half's drive apart (about 50odd miles) they're not exactly next door to each other are they?

If we are ever going to get away from yobbish and anti-social behaviour then we need to have the example set by retailers and television companies who do not advocate buying something on a whim knowing full well that it can be returned no questions asked. Is it too much to ask for a return to good standards?[/QUOTE]

Is that a serious comment??????

Maybe then qvc were part responsible for the recent riots :devil::grin::devil::grin::devil:

The points raised by the OP are really a bit extreme aren't they????

When QVC started people were pretty new to the idea of buying off the telly weren't they, or indeed distance selling in general so the MBG was their way of giving people an insurance policy that it was ok to buy anything from them as they wouldn't be stuck with an item if it wasn't for them. Ever since it's been one of the things they trade on as it gives people the confidence to try stuff.

OK so we all know that people abuse the MBG (and we all know about 'the letter'), we all know that things do get sent back out when they've been returned, though as as been said before I don't see that's a problem if it's in as new condition, they do it everywhere else, and we all know that sometimes things slip through the net and get sent out when they're not quite so 'as new', but I really don't see how any of this consitutes 'yobbish' or 'anti-social' behaviour.

And as for the outlets they do quite clearly state that items may be customer returns.

Blimey I'm defending QVC as well now. What's that all about...?

I actually do think this country is going to the dogs :sad: so in that respect I agree with the OP, but that subject is for another thread entirely and nothing to do with QVC's returns policy.

Time was when if you took something back to the High Street, it had to be in pristine condition with the tags still on and it was assumed that you had not worn it/them out for any reason and had a genuine reason for returning. But this isn't the highstreet - it's QVC which offers a different service

Catherine on the other hand actually said the other day that you could send things back " and by all means try them on and even wear them and wash them a few times if you wish and then if you just don't feel they suit you after all then send them back". But that IS their policy - you can use it and then send it back - what is wrong with her pointing that out?

This made me feel quite sick. What kind of establishment would do this? It really makes QVC nothing more than a second hand shop or a nearly new stall. Feel sick? A tad of an over-reaction surely.

If I am going to pay top whack for something and let's be fair, QVC is not a cheap pricewise, then I expect the things to be in absolutely perfect condition. If they are going to accept returns and of course they do then they should sell ALL this stuff in their outlet shops in Shrewsbury and Warrington and make it quite clear to everyone that the stuff there is either an overstock or possibly a returned item.Well, that is what SHOULD happen but some things do fall though the net and therein lies the problem.

You seem to have misunderstood the service QVC offers - you can buy it, try it out and then return it if you are not happy - an option you don't get from other retailers. Those used items should never find their way back into stock BUT sometimes they do. That is an organisational failure and nothing to do with how much a previous purchaser may or may not have used something.

Look around you - every day you can see "yobbish and anti-social behaviour" - do you really think this is directly linked to QVC's MBG? Unfortunately society is changing and values have shifted - the mis-use of the MBG is just another reflection of the change in some people's values. QVC is not encouraging bad behaviour, it's just on the receiving end of it - as I said, their fault lies in not having a decent quality control process to prevent used goods being returned to stock.

No. That is not quite correct either. Sometimes they deliberately return items for stock.
Just like any shop. It has happened to me on quite expensive items.

I don't think QVCs business practices have any bearing on whether or not this country is "going to the dogs". And neither do I think this country is "going to the dogs".

The UK is great place to live. It's not perfect and it's not cheap in terms of tax and cost of living. But it's is still a great place to live.

As a society we need to make some changes and we need to learn to live together in a supportive and respectful way but I honestly do not want to live anywhere else.

No. That is not quite correct either. Sometimes they deliberately return items for stock.
Just like any shop. It has happened to me on quite expensive items.

me too
of course I was told by CS that it never happens, only for some Smachbox, which I had placed on waitlist, to be delivered a month later, also used!

Latest posts

Back