Jade Troth is back

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Troth was on this morning - and I get the impression he's either been reading this forum, or he knows something that I don't yet known (a possibility that he's been warned by either the ASA or the NJA about using misleading names).

He went into GREAT DEPTH explaining why Quartzite-Jade IS a Jadeite (in his belief anyway).

He said, in words to the effect of, it's that new a variety of Jade, only the far east recognise it - and even the GIA didn't recognise it.

There was a distinct smell of bulls**t wafting over from my TV as he spoke.

So, how do you explain 'Serpentine Jade' and 'Maw-Sit-Sit Jade' then Dave? Both of which you've been flogging with the 'Jade' suffix, none of which are Jade. Do the GIA not recognise those either, or could it just be that you're full of s**t and trying to mislead people?

I know which one my bet is on..........

So, following on from this, I'm even more suspicious that Dave Troth / Gemporia have had a warning that I don't yet know about.

Troth was on again this morning, over-explaining in a manner that made me think "there's a reason he's saying all this".

Troth says that he "gets a lot of messages from viewers" and they'll sometimes point out "mistakes". He went on to say "I can make mistakes - I don't claim to be a Jade expert".

Well, Gemporia presenters DO refer to him as a 'Jade expert'. Also, the 'David Harry Jewels' website says:

David possesses a rare insight into the mystique of jadeite, cultivated through immersive experiences in Burma and China. His expertise sets him apart as a connoisseur with a discerning eye for authenticity and excellence, particularly in a gemstone often misunderstood in the Western world.

So, he absolutely does believe he's a 'Jade expert'.

I have a suspicion that I'm going to get an email from the ASA or NJA over the next few days stating that they've been warned for selling "Serpentine Jade", "Maw-Sit-Sit Jade" and "Quartzite Jade" - none of which are Jade.

As per usual, it sounds as though Gemporia / Troth are trying to dismiss their misleading as being "mistakes".

So, following on from this, I'm even more suspicious that Dave Troth / Gemporia have had a warning that I don't yet know about.

Troth was on again this morning, over-explaining in a manner that made me think "there's a reason he's saying all this".

Troth says that he "gets a lot of messages from viewers" and they'll sometimes point out "mistakes". He went on to say "I can make mistakes - I don't claim to be a Jade expert".

Well, Gemporia presenters DO refer to him as a 'Jade expert'. Also, the 'David Harry Jewels' website says:

David possesses a rare insight into the mystique of jadeite, cultivated through immersive experiences in Burma and China. His expertise sets him apart as a connoisseur with a discerning eye for authenticity and excellence, particularly in a gemstone often misunderstood in the Western world.

So, he absolutely does believe he's a 'Jade expert'.

I have a suspicion that I'm going to get an email from the ASA or NJA over the next few days stating that they've been warned for selling "Serpentine Jade", "Maw-Sit-Sit Jade" and "Quartzite Jade" - none of which are Jade.

As per usual, it sounds as though Gemporia / Troth are trying to dismiss their misleading as being "mistakes".
Gemporia has spent the last 2 years (feels like at least 5) extolling the virtues and expertise of Troth as a bona fide expert in all things gems related but especially Jade!! Why else do we have to put up with droning lectures from Professor Troth and his slides (I bet he really wants a pointy stick and a mortar board really)

Sounds like a bit of a U-turn...wonder why 🤔...perhaps the old knuckles are about to be rapped for all the misleading names and claims!

Toby and Lindsey just now 'Chocolate pearls', a strand of 6mm and a bracelet of golden caramel pearls. Of course they are! Because the compound that they are coated with makes them that colour. On that basis you can have any other colour of pearl that you can think of. And I guess that they are rare as others just wouldn't think that doing it would be a reasonable thing. The treatment was shown on the on screen details but no mention from either presenter how the visual was achieved.

I think Gemporia needs to change it's name to Gemporare. I've never heard the word Rare as much as I have in the past 10 minutes with the wonderful Lindsey.

Toby and Lindsey just now 'Chocolate pearls', a strand of 6mm and a bracelet of golden caramel pearls. Of course they are! Because the compound that they are coated with makes them that colour. On that basis you can have any other colour of pearl that you can think of. And I guess that they are rare as others just wouldn't think that doing it would be a reasonable thing. The treatment was shown on the on screen details but no mention from either presenter how the visual was achieved.
I bought one. From the House of Lindor. Lovely.

Shades of pearls? My a*se. In Willy Wonka's factory, maybe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-19-04-59-56-818.jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-19-04-59-56-818.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 0
Dear Trothy is on from six this evening. Need to get my dinner done early so that I can see if he is any different.

Dear Trothy is on from six this evening. Need to get my dinner done early so that I can see if he is any different.

I can assure you that you won't need to have your dinner early.

In fact, he'll still be there telling the same story at 10.50pm, complete with 30 second clock, as you're about to sit and eat your supper.

So everyone was right!!! But TBH the show wasn't for me as they were diamonds in clusters which were mostly 1mm or smaller with some single larger up to 2mm at the centre of the cluster. I am quite prepared to believe that they were Type 2a pink diamonds, of course in 9k rose gold to pep up the pick as the diamonds were s soft rose blush rather than 'pink'.
Of course the key takeaway is that it was a fully sold out show, one time only, never to be repeated. Reality is at at 7:11pm is that one item is shown as sold out but rings, earrings and pendants all still available with 3 hours to snap them up. And they are probably are remarkable prices and you wouldn't find them on the high street, probably you wouldn't find them anywhere. Angola natural rose diamonds are probably as rare as they have said, but todays non truth is that the sold out show just didn't.
I spoke to soon! 7:28pm update is that nothing is shown as sold out - ie EVERY design is still available. Even the only design of earrings.

Last edited:
probably you wouldn't find them anywhere. Angola natural rose diamonds
Maybe you would find them 'somewhere', but not with 'that' name. It's been said somewhere here that Gemporia do tend to give their produce unique names to make them seem better than they are. Not making a stupid comment, but look at Csarite. I understand that's generally sold as Disapore, but coz it's a trade name, that's the difference.

Maybe you would find them 'somewhere', but not with 'that' name. It's been said somewhere here that Gemporia do tend to give their produce unique names to make them seem better than they are. Not making a stupid comment, but look at Csarite. I understand that's generally sold as Disapore, but coz it's a trade name, that's the difference.

Yes, and not only that, but Gemporia used to say (they may even still do) that they were 'the only seller in the UK selling Csarite' - but that was complete BS because TJC were also selling it (under the name 'Zultanite' if I recall), and another UK seller was selling it under the name 'Turkizite'.

They may have been the only ones selling it under the name of 'Csarite', but they were definitely not the only UK seller selling that stone!

Misleading at best. Obtaining money by deception at worst!

Last edited:
'the only seller in the UK selling Csarite'
Yes, I too recall TJC selling it with a different name. At the time I wondered if they sold it under that different name because our beloved Gems had the "official" version. But I've 'grown up' since then ;) And talking of such things. (Not me growing up :p ) If the general population who are into their gemstones know Disapore (under whatever name it be) changes colour in different lights, WHY has Gemporia suddenly taken to calling it Colour Change Diaspore?

Yes, I too recall TJC selling it with a different name. At the time I wondered if they sold it under that different name because our beloved Gems had the "official" version. But I've 'grown up' since then ;) And talking of such things. (Not me growing up :p ) If the general population who are into their gemstones know Disapore (under whatever name it be) changes colour in different lights, WHY has Gemporia suddenly taken to calling it Colour Change Diaspore?

I believe the names were all trademarked by different businesses - so perhaps the 'trademark' has now expired?

I also noticed that they sold the inferior grade material as 'Diaspore' in the past - but the VSI-graded material was sold as 'Csarite'.

I spoke to soon! 7:28pm update is that nothing is shown as sold out - ie EVERY design is still available. Even the only design of earrings.
Yep. Right now, the overnight repeats have nine designs on sale. All have three or more items in stock (three being the maximum in one checkout for most auctions), except one ring, which had two remaining (rings checked on size N/O only).

So everyone was right!!! But TBH the show wasn't for me as they were diamonds in clusters which were mostly 1mm or smaller with some single larger up to 2mm at the centre of the cluster. I am quite prepared to believe that they were Type 2a pink diamonds, of course in 9k rose gold to pep up the pick as the diamonds were s soft rose blush rather than 'pink'.
Of course the key takeaway is that it was a fully sold out show, one time only, never to be repeated. Reality is at at 7:11pm is that one item is shown as sold out but rings, earrings and pendants all still available with 3 hours to snap them up. And they are probably are remarkable prices and you wouldn't find them on the high street, probably you wouldn't find them anywhere. Angola natural rose diamonds are probably as rare as they have said, but todays non truth is that the sold out show just didn't.
I had on the pre recorded at 3am, flicking through and they had the Angola pink diamonds on again. It was funny that they were saying they all sold out yet on the app you could still buy all 9 designs. A lot of people must have cancelled their earlier orders or it was just complete garbage 😂

I believe the names were all trademarked by different businesses - so perhaps the 'trademark' has now expired?

I also noticed that they sold the inferior grade material as 'Diaspore' in the past - but the VSI-graded material was sold as 'Csarite'.
Yeah you're right. There was some sort of disagreement between the owners of the mines. One is inferior to the other. The better quality VSI grade is sold as Csarite.

Latest posts

Back