Mature models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Couldnt agree more. I realise its all about "diversity", but common sense is needed as well. I doubt if many Asian ladies of another religion would buy their clothes from QVC, they tend to buy from their own community fashion stores, as I've seen in the Bury Park area of Luton.

Another 'gripe' is the lack of movement by the models. They just stand stock still with a pose front and sideways, with the rare twirl to see the back view. Whatever happened to the catwalk ? we need to see movement in clothes. (I see ageing Tiff is still glued to her ridiculous 20 something extensions, your hands give you away love !)
That’s where the likes of Tanya, Sharon and Joy came into their own. They are professional catwalk models and know exactly how to show a garment to its best advantage on the body.

Agggh - they’ve done it again! They were showing a dress that I actually really liked the look of , no I probably wouldn’t have bought it as I’m very strict with myself these days - I wanted to see it on one of the models to get an idea of how it looks on - still no idea as they put it on a a young lady and as beautiful as she was was wearing over what looked like a set of woolly combinations! The dress had an angel sleeve and a keyhole detail at the front, so with the long sleeves of a thermal vest hanging down , the keyhole blocked with the fabric from the vest and long johns hanging down below the hem you can imagine how awful it looked. Like Brissles said diversity is one thing, plain common sense is another. Wtf is wrong in sending a couple of models out wearing the same dress, it least it shows how it can look on different people!

Agggh - they’ve done it again! They were showing a dress that I actually really liked the look of , no I probably wouldn’t have bought it as I’m very strict with myself these days - I wanted to see it on one of the models to get an idea of how it looks on - still no idea as they put it on a a young lady and as beautiful as she was was wearing over what looked like a set of woolly combinations! The dress had an angel sleeve and a keyhole detail at the front, so with the long sleeves of a thermal vest hanging down , the keyhole blocked with the fabric from the vest and long johns hanging down below the hem you can imagine how awful it looked. Like Brissles said diversity is one thing, plain common sense is another. Wtf is wrong in sending a couple of models out wearing the same dress, it least it shows how it can look on different people!
These so-called stylists who dress the models have absolutely no idea. My great nieces age 4, 6 & 8 can put together better-looking outfits.

Here are a few of screenshots. Later the same model came out wearing leggings and a jumper and she looked great, there's no need for this!

Attachments

• 2023-08-04 (1).png
    2023-08-04 (1).png
    525 KB · Views: 259
  • 2023-08-04.png
    2023-08-04.png
    447.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 2023-08-04 (2).png
    2023-08-04 (2).png
    530.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 2023-08-04 (3).png
    2023-08-04 (3).png
    542.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Well I took a leap of faith and I ordered the dress despite there being one scathing one star review and not really having much idea how it'll look on me or what size to get. I was tossing up between the size 10 and the size 12. In the end I ordered the 12 and so long as it doesn't swamp me then I'll be happy. I think I'd rather have something slightly too big than too small. The model looked as though she was a size 8 or 10. Maybe it was all the clothes she was wearing underneath that made it look fairly snug around the bust area. I prefer a looser fit around the bust and I can't stand even a hint of cleavage. The keyhole detail appeared to be placed high enough so as not to be an issue. I decided that I'd get shot of one of my dresses that I seldom wear as it's a bit too dressy in order to make room for it. I'll hold back on that until I know whether or not this dress is a keeper. If it is as bad as the reviewer said it'll be returned within 14 days so I'll get my postage refunded as well. I'll have to pay a couple of quid to send it back via EVRI but I can live with that - fingers crossed it's what I hoped for.

Asian girls wouldn't dress like that would they? I mean fair do's with the leggings but you'd wear a long sleeved dress or a short sleeved dress with a long sleeved long cardi. I've worked with Asian women's groups in the past and they either wear their traditional style outfits or wear western clothes, none of this mix and match.

CC

Very true CC. Anyone else notice also, that a lot of the "tunics" now being offered are almost knee length, - practically a short dress, and generally worn with leggings. Call me a cynic, but are we being subconsciously led down the path to dressing like our Asian sisters ?? I mean, just look at this years fashion for prairie style frocks. Up to the neck, arms covered and barely an ankle showing. Yes I wore these the first time around in the 70's but back then we weren't encompassed by diversity - nobody had even heard of the word !

Very true CC. Anyone else notice also, that a lot of the "tunics" now being offered are almost knee length, - practically a short dress, and generally worn with leggings. Call me a cynic, but are we being subconsciously led down the path to dressing like our Asian sisters ?? I mean, just look at this years fashion for prairie style frocks. Up to the neck, arms covered and barely an ankle showing. Yes I wore these the first time around in the 70's but back then we weren't encompassed by diversity - nobody had even heard of the word !
I dunno, but the word tunic just fills me with horror nowadays. When I was a kid in the 1970s my mum used to have a few of them and basically they were very short dresses designed to be worn over trousers and were either a plain A line or frilly and valanced. They were of their time but were actually quite stylish! These days the word tunic is used to describe any long top that isn't a t shirt and usually sold as something to wear to hide all your lumps and bumps as opposed to being a stylish garment. Yes you can still get some pretty ones, but draping one's body with yards of flowing fabric isn't always the most flattering solution for the fuller figure. As for the knee length offerings, they're not tunics, they're dresses and imo a dress worn over trousers or leggings looks ****** awful. It looks like you couldn't decide upon what you were gonna wear that day so you wore the blinking lot!
From experience when for some reason I piled on quite a few pounds some years ago, my clothing was more about what I could cover up rather than how nice I could actually look, and these dreaded tunics take me right back to those days. I know it's easy to say when you don't feel you have to cover your figure, but throw overs imo aren't always the best solution.

I dunno, but the word tunic just fills me with horror nowadays. When I was a kid in the 1970s my mum used to have a few of them and basically they were very short dresses designed to be worn over trousers and were either a plain A line or frilly and valanced. They were of their time but were actually quite stylish! These days the word tunic is used to describe any long top that isn't a t shirt and usually sold as something to wear to hide all your lumps and bumps as opposed to being a stylish garment. Yes you can still get some pretty ones, but draping one's body with yards of flowing fabric isn't always the most flattering solution for the fuller figure. As for the knee length offerings, they're not tunics, they're dresses and imo a dress worn over trousers or leggings looks ****** awful. It looks like you couldn't decide upon what you were gonna wear that day so you wore the blinking lot!
From experience when for some reason I piled on quite a few pounds some years ago, my clothing was more about what I could cover up rather than how nice I could actually look, and these dreaded tunics take me right back to those days. I know it's easy to say when you don't feel you have to cover your figure, but throw overs imo aren't always the best solution.

I agree. The prairie frocks I mentioned before, with their tiered layers are no friend of the overweight - they certainly give meaning to the "galleon in full sail " phrase. Speaking of the 70's, anyone remember the 'tabard' ? ( friend of dinner ladies and cleaners ), but were given a fashionable look worn with matching floral blouse underneath. 🤗

And where the garment is available in more than one colour but the model is dressed in the black or navy ”colour way” so it’s virtually impossible to see the detail, fit etc.
Colour 'way.' An extra word that is unneeded and not used outside QVC. Would you tell a friend that you bought a blouse in a blue color way? Doubtful.

Tiff has been known in the past to be bare faced when applying beauty products. I bet she doesn't do it in the future with her teenage locks framing her face :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: It would be a case of Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane !!!!
LoL that’s 😁

Colour 'way.' An extra word that is unneeded and not used outside QVC. Would you tell a friend that you bought a blouse in a blue color way? Doubtful.
no it would never come into the conversation LoL

I agree. The prairie frocks I mentioned before, with their tiered layers are no friend of the overweight - they certainly give meaning to the "galleon in full sail " phrase. Speaking of the 70's, anyone remember the 'tabard' ? ( friend of dinner ladies and cleaners ), but were given a fashionable look worn with matching floral blouse underneath. 🤗
I vaguely remember a friend of mine back in the 70's banging on about buying a tabard and me not knowing what the hell she was on about. She was quite fashion forward for her age, mainly because her father used to spoil her rotten after her parents separated. She'd get piles of stuff for Christmas/birthdays and quite a lot of stuff "just because". I do remember her tabard being a rather non descript slip over that she wore over a skinny rib polo neck with a belt around it. Tbh it looked like she was off to work in a hairdressing salon! She was always the leader in fashion, but to be fair, she was on her own with this one! She was the first to get a grandad shirt (stripy with white collar), a bomber jacket, Wedge heel black patent toeposts with gold bar around the back of the heel. I did eventually get the shirt, the bomber jacket and the sandals but I had to wait until my birthday in November when it was too cold to wear most of them!
Back to the earlier 70's and what my mum wore, apart from the tunics, there were smocks and pinafore dresses - now they're a blast from the past!
I'm sure everybody had that friend who had it all, or maybe you were that friend. I was raised in a fairly well to do area, but we weren't well to do by any means, my mum struggled with money and my dad was just downright mean careful with his money. He refused to have a mail order catalogue in the house which would've helped for sure. Clothing was bought when absolutely necessary, fashion items were strictly for birthdays and Christmas, but things improved greatly on that front when my dad shipped out. I wasn't spoiled but my mum recognised that for a young teenager clothing is more than something that keeps you "decent" warm and dry. A Marshall Ward catalogue landed and my mum used to give me the child benefit money to spend on clothes and make up bless her! Happy days!

I completely disagree, tunics/dresses worn with leggings have been a thing for a long time and has nothing to do with Asians.

Tunics with leggings have been a thing for a long time and I wear them myself from time to time. When I was at school back in the 70's all the Asian girls wore trousers with their skirts and their PE skirts and that was to do with religion rather than fashion. I don't remember anyone batting an eyelid to be honest, that's just what they wore.

CC

I vaguely remember a friend of mine back in the 70's banging on about buying a tabard and me not knowing what the hell she was on about. She was quite fashion forward for her age, mainly because her father used to spoil her rotten after her parents separated. She'd get piles of stuff for Christmas/birthdays and quite a lot of stuff "just because". I do remember her tabard being a rather non descript slip over that she wore over a skinny rib polo neck with a belt around it. Tbh it looked like she was off to work in a hairdressing salon! She was always the leader in fashion, but to be fair, she was on her own with this one! She was the first to get a grandad shirt (stripy with white collar), a bomber jacket, Wedge heel black patent toeposts with gold bar around the back of the heel. I did eventually get the shirt, the bomber jacket and the sandals but I had to wait until my birthday in November when it was too cold to wear most of them!
Back to the earlier 70's and what my mum wore, apart from the tunics, there were smocks and pinafore dresses - now they're a blast from the past!
I'm sure everybody had that friend who had it all, or maybe you were that friend. I was raised in a fairly well to do area, but we weren't well to do by any means, my mum struggled with money and my dad was just downright mean careful with his money. He refused to have a mail order catalogue in the house which would've helped for sure. Clothing was bought when absolutely necessary, fashion items were strictly for birthdays and Christmas, but things improved greatly on that front when my dad shipped out. I wasn't spoiled but my mum recognised that for a young teenager clothing is more than something that keeps you "decent" warm and dry. A Marshall Ward catalogue landed and my mum used to give me the child benefit money to spend on clothes and make up bless her! Happy days!
I remember Monkey Ward. Anyone else?

The postman has just been and he brought me the dress, and it's definitely a keeper. I think I chose wisely going for the size 12 as it skims over my top half nicely without looking too big. The colour is exactly what I expected from seeing the demo, and not dull and dingy as the one star reviewer said, and not as they said thick and uncomfortable either. I can't say I'm very keen on the high neck and the fact that you have to fasten the neck with fiddly hook and eyes, I'd have preferred a snap fastener. I actually rolled the neck down in half and it looked a lot better and gave the dress a more casual look. With my hair hanging down at the back one wouldn't see that it's not fastened right up. If I were to wear it for a special occasion then I'd wear the collar up and fasten it properly. I'm looking forward to wearing it, oh said he likes it so that's another plus. Dress I said I was gonna get rid of is already in the charity donation bag!

Latest posts

Back