Mature models

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes, I watched the documentary. Perfume Wars is one that deals with her and the collaboration with the Nazis and how she treated the Jewish brothers who marketed No5 for her. With all the smoking she did, the clothes must have reeked or cigarette smoke.

I revisited this thread because today I saw a proper old lady model, and it made a refreshing change from faked and caked likes of Tiff, Vivienne Westwood's nan in fact any one of the mature models who are obviously in the modelling business - This lady had white hair and no make up - how refreshing!
The other thing and this might just be me but is it compulsory that all the models have to a minimum of 5'8"? 5'10" seems to be the go to height for their models and the amount of times they have to tell you that the midi dress they're modelling will be a maxi if you're 5ft 5 or under, is nobody's business! Surely they can draft in some shorter girls. Off the top of my head I can't even picture Dannii Minogue's petite range being modelling by shorties apart from herself! Of course not all of the presenters are tall and they do model the clothing as well but that's not really the point. I remember reading somewhere that the average height for a female in the uk is 5ft 3 - This could be a load of tosh, but it wouldn't surprise me !
I know back in the day a fashion model had to be a certain height and if you were under it, you could only get a modelling job if you got yer tits out - "glamour modelling" I think they called it. This is the 21st century fgs so come on Q think about your customers and represent them properly, yes of course some will be tall, but a hell of a lot of them won't be - but well done on the unaffected looking mature lady today!
Spot on. Well said x

I love the Chanel style and all it stood for, and my goodness she was way ahead of the curve. I was thinking about what we know of traditionally educated catwalk models, classically trained. In my home town I was out one day with my late mother, and walking ahead of us was a beautifully dressed woman who held herself very well. My mother said to me, “watch her walking and how she holds herself because she is a model!” Turned out my mother was absolutely right. Professional models you can spot a mile off. Sadly QVC imho no longer employ thise same types of models these days. Perhaps the odd one or two.

Professional models of yesteryear, yes easy to spot - like Joanna Lumley who modelled for Jean Muir, and is so elegant at 77. The current bunch on QVC are a million miles away from elegance, more like picked up from outside the supermarket after a day's shop.

I think deportment in general has all but disappeared. Girls and women often sit with their legs akimbo, mooch around with hands in pockets and clothes hanging off their shoulders, shuffle not walk because they`re busy eyeballing their mobile phone, hunching themselves to the point some never look up, no longer eat at a table but slouched on a sofa and generally looking downtrodden.
My Mum would turn in her grave. She was a stickler for girls and ladies sitting correctly with legs crossed at the ankles, sitting upright when eating at the table, walking with head held up and no hunched shoulders and actually looking around us as if we lived in the World not just our own World like some of them do nowadays and wearing our clothes properly not half on half off like they do now.

I think deportment in general has all but disappeared. Girls and women often sit with their legs akimbo, mooch around with hands in pockets and clothes hanging off their shoulders, shuffle not walk because they`re busy eyeballing their mobile phone, hunching themselves to the point some never look up, no longer eat at a table but slouched on a sofa and generally looking downtrodden.
My Mum would turn in her grave. She was a stickler for girls and ladies sitting correctly with legs crossed at the ankles, sitting upright when eating at the table, walking with head held up and no hunched shoulders and actually looking around us as if we lived in the World not just our own World like some of them do nowadays and wearing our clothes properly not half on half off like they do now.
I went to a girls’ grammar school in the 1970’s and we were taught deportment and manners etc along these lines. Not in formal lessons, just as we walked from one class to the next or during PE lessons. We had rules about how we looked outside school whilst wearing our uniforms too, as we were representing the school.

We had the boys’ grammar school round the corner and they were taught in the same way. Ties done up, clean handkerchief. Stand up when a teacher enters the room (male & female teachers), shaking hands and even walking on the kerb side of a woman in the street, (to protect her from whatever horses and carriages would throw up in the 19thC) !

Phew! Glad I didn’t meet your mum. I am glad that I can sit or stand in a way I find comfy. Good grief, when are we going to stop judging women all the time?

Latest posts

Back