Random Musings and Critiques Etc.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It‘s like Ideal World mark whatever had never been away… But seriously…a very professional looking website and camera and studio set-up. Crawley and Green are what they are, but the bigger picture (literally) looks very encouraging.

Have to say: the production quality, the set, and (dare I say it) the presenters are all top notch.

After so many months of TJC2/IW, I'd forgotten what competence looked like!

I'm sure Hayley will be back to the half-truths, misleading comments, and dubious claims soon enough, but I have to say: she is very good at presenting.

Noticed a few wonky camera angles and cue flubs, and Crawley's mic did sound tinny for a while, but hey: it's the first show, so a few minor hiccups are to be expected as everyone settles in and learns the ropes, etc. Amazed Hayley hasn't accidentally said Shop Extra instead of Shop on TV yet — but hey: give it time ;)

Sadly… The show is Miered — see what I did there? No? Uhhh— by Richard and his awful, over-priced, barely functional, never-tested-outside-because-they-blow-away "drones".

Sidenote: if anyone gets here because they're Googling for RMD Drone reviews: don't buy them as they're toys, not pro drones (despite Richard's company putting "pro" in the product names). He doesn't own a company that makes them, he just imports and brands them; you can get the exact same drones for 1/3 of his prices from eBay, AliExpress, etc.

Worse is yet to come as Simon Lies is on in a few days with kitchen items.

This is basically shop extra with its own studio.

Last edited:
If you equate culinary deprivation to shopping television, then three or four months of living on hard cheese, scrag end and water with the appalling new version of Ideal World, last night’s Shop On TV experience was like suddenly being given a plate of fish, chips and mushy peas, crumble and custard for pudding and a nice bottle of red to wash it down with.

Yes, Crawley and Green are like a modern day tuneless version of Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson. But after months of hapless and at times foul ramblings by Peters St Simonsberg, relentless cane waving, ludicrous price comparisons, childish behaviour, and just the most consistently uninspiring, dull selection of products offered up for sale, even their cheesy style of presentation came over as a breath of retail fresh air.

It was comfortable to watch in terms of the more than adequate studio environment in place. Without that awful claustrophobic blurred vista Ideal World offers to the eye. The ordering system, with the added benefit and protection of PayPal payments in place, generates confidence to buy, and the general production values seem to be policed and created by people who left the fifth year 20 years or so previously.

You have to reserve judgment on what type of range and quality of products will be offered up longer term, but certainly as a first night’s effort it was hugely encouraging. Switching channels and watching Mason bigging up cheap £30 handbags on a counter as similar looking to Louis Vuitton, and Shop On TV offering up three figure plus items in a large well-designed space was a stark comparison in how to create a shopping channel that creates confidence to buy and one that doesn’t.

Very good news, if confirmed on Rob Locke being one of the presenters. You wonder if Grant will join him if they do tech items - hence the interest in our views on what people want from a shopping channel a month or two back? It‘s a pity people from Ideal World cannot do similar, rather than just using forum member names for their studio japes as their only interaction. but of course, TJC knows better.

Good news. One of the best shopping television presenters I have seen over all the years I‘ve watched it.

It‘s a shame, Jazzy, it‘s that timeframe because it is actually pretty good so far.

Could Dennnnnn be appearing at some point?

DennReply.JPG

How is a channel,going to have a future only being on for 3 hours

Drones and Scooters, The way yoof zoom around on those things, best thing for them would be melted

Presenration looks ok, and why does Creepy always camp up
If anything it has done them a favour, the 3 hours is full of the information you need and no time to waffle on. I noticed a couple of times when Hayeley started to wander off conversation and Shaun was like 'but we have to get back to the drones' so it is much more interesting to watch. The Richard drone guy, nothing against him but this is nothing like professional resolution. He was trying to say that we were watching films in 1080p HD and this is true. But HD in a movie industry camera and something like this is completely different Those movie cameras Hollywood use have high dynamic range and likely use a lower frame rate. Video is usually around 60fps and movies 24 fps. I'm sure on your phone and in these cameras you can adjust the frame rate but it just isn't comparable. That being said if you are a YouTuber or Instagrammer these are perfectly useable. It kind of reminds me of when I was younger and my friend's dad bought a SEAT IBIZA which had an engine developed by PORCHE. Alright technically they did but I wouldn't go around calling it a PORCHE.

TJC have done the complete opposite to last night on there. Padding out too many hours of broadcasting with a desperately dull and much repeated range of products. Expecting presenters to talk for an hour on one boring item like a cane. Other than the comedy factor it is completely unwatchable and that is wearing off by the day. Whereas this channel appears to have adopted the radical concept of actually wanting to sell things to the general public.

Latest posts

Back