Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Fortunately (as I'm a night owl) my #1 and #2 top "avoid like the plague" presenters are rarely seen.
So that means my exposure to the charms of Simon Biagi and Kathy Tayler is minimised. When I do catch them, they are instantly infuriating and I mute and change the channel. Neither are capable of inducing me to watch, even brands which I love and guests I find good to watch.

One of the main things which QVC seem to have forgotten in their drive to turn all the presenters into rude, hectoring sell-bots is that part of the art of selling is about personal relationships... so a bit of charm helps. Nowadays they are deploying the full gamut of scare tactics (generating false risks you will incur if you don't buy product X, false shame/embarrassment you can only alleviate if you buy product X, fear of missing out - they are selling out fast, so quick get yours; limited stock and we can never order again).

If Kathy is going to be so impatient with guests, or Claire talk over them... why have the guests? For many of us it is intolerably rude to invite someone to give information then interrupt them, prevent them from speaking at all, or carry on talking at the same time. If you don't want to alienate your actual customers, who watch regularly... zip it and let the guest answer the question you asked, or give the information you can't give! Or - QVC should stop having guests and let the presenters do the job themselves!

Most of them haven't (yet) reached the peak of "know-it-all-ery" that Sara Griffiths climbed to. She know so much more than the guests (in her own opinion) that the guests became redundant when paired with her... and most of the guests are too inexperienced or too polite to correct the misleading information some of the presenters spout.

I detested Sara G’s presenting style first time around but was on my own as everyone else thought she was great. Fast forward to her return and eyes were opened and she fast became the most complained about presenter.

I always liked Pippa’s style and well remember her holding full shows on her own (before it became obligatory to have multiple guests) talking about things like old time sweets with people texting in and plenty of fun whilst still managing to sell the products.
Unfortunately she went all Yeah yeah yeah and after her sabbatical “going native” she came back as totally unwatchable.
However I watched her (it’s time in years) doing a jewellery show the other night and she was a pleasure to watch, no iPad, no yeah, yeah yeah. Maybe this was helped as I was interested in the show - it may have been different if it was clothes or beauty.

It can be done folks!

I detested Sara G’s presenting style first time around but was on my own as everyone else thought she was great. Fast forward to her return and eyes were opened and she fast became the most complained about presenter.

I always liked Pippa’s style and well remember her holding full shows on her own (before it became obligatory to have multiple guests) talking about things like old time sweets with people texting in and plenty of fun whilst still managing to sell the products.
Unfortunately she went all Yeah yeah yeah and after her sabbatical “going native” she came back as totally unwatchable.
However I watched her (it’s time in years) doing a jewellery show the other night and she was a pleasure to watch, no iPad, no yeah, yeah yeah. Maybe this was helped as I was interested in the show - it may have been different if it was clothes or beauty.

It can be done folks!

Sara G I think was the worse presenter QVC ever had and thats no accolade

Anna Cookson might have been worse? Pipa was really good years ago when she was younger and more fun and didn't screeeech. I liked her short hair and zanyness but she's become a bit sanctimonious somehow. Thought Sara was Ok at first as well but hmmmmm, Claudia was OK as well and I do like the products she sometimes does on Q now - maybe those Antipodes things?

CC

It seems odd now to think that they used to present for about fifteen years solo, then slowly guests crept in. It was a huge error because the conversation went from the actual product they were supposed to be selling to Mini Cheddars, kids and holiday homes.

Anna Cookson! I remember her. Her main fault was trying for long words she either used incorrectly, or she aimed at the word, didn't quite get there and made one up! It was painful to hear her mangle the English language. I agree with others about Sara G. I couldn't watch her by the end of her stint. But what was once a rarity is now all too common isn't it?

I'm now an irregular customer, making the occasional purchase usually because it's a bargain & not because it's been sold to me. I found lati's words about watching Pipa the guru really interesting - '...I was interested in the show - it may have been different if it was clothes or beauty' because I thought much the same about Katy Pullinger earlier this week; she was with Jenny Blackhurst & even though there was a fair amount of chat none of it was personal & all the relevant info was given. Maybe some of them only do their job properly when paired with someone they like, in my opinion that makes them unprofessional. I saw Ali Keenan deal with Liz Earle being rude & condescending, she remained calm & pinned on a smile,even though it was clear to see it was hiding her gritted teeth.

I'm now an irregular customer, making the occasional purchase usually because it's a bargain & not because it's been sold to me. I found lati's words about watching Pipa the guru really interesting - '...I was interested in the show - it may have been different if it was clothes or beauty' because I thought much the same about Katy Pullinger earlier this week; she was with Jenny Blackhurst & even though there was a fair amount of chat none of it was personal & all the relevant info was given. Maybe some of them only do their job properly when paired with someone they like, in my opinion that makes them unprofessional. I saw Ali Keenan deal with Liz Earle being rude & condescending, she remained calm & pinned on a smile,even though it was clear to see it was hiding her gritted teeth.

That’s true, Chloe “Mini Cheddars” Everton knows exactly who she can get away acting like a pathetic, immature juvenile with, and who won’t entertain her behaviour. From what I’ve seen in the past the Radley guest thinks she’s in a Carry On film, top billing Chloe Everton.

Speaking of Chloe Everton she must’ve well past her probation period because when she first started at QVC she used to dress more lady like and used to pronounce yeah as “yes” an words with “ing” on the end she’s pronounce with ing on the end, now though she doesn’t give a toss, she knows she won’t be sacked for bad presenting so anything else is immaterial.

That’s true, Chloe “Mini Cheddars” Everton knows exactly who she can get away acting like a pathetic, immature juvenile with, and who won’t entertain her behaviour. From what I’ve seen in the past the Radley guest thinks she’s in a Carry On film, top billing Chloe Everton.

Speaking of Chloe Everton she must’ve well past her probation period because when she first started at QVC she used to dress more lady like and used to pronounce yeah as “yes” an words with “ing” on the end she’s pronounce with ing on the end, now though she doesn’t give a toss, she knows she won’t be sacked for bad presenting so anything else is immaterial.

You've summed her up perfectly Shopps. How's your boy doing these days?

More comments than ever about awful returns procedure with speculation that it's got far worse since Refundgate & wondering if there's a link. As with most things there is a balance & someone has posted this: 'Thanks QVC for helping me out so much with my Christmas shopping.Got these this morning,meant for gifts ,don’t know so much now after seeing and smelling them.just divine!!'. I thank all those give good service but never considered that they'd helped me so much with my Christmas shopping, next year I'll tell them that & see what reaction I get.

More comments than ever about awful returns procedure with speculation that it's got far worse since Refundgate & wondering if there's a link. As with most things there is a balance & someone has posted this: 'Thanks QVC for helping me out so much with my Christmas shopping.Got these this morning,meant for gifts ,don’t know so much now after seeing and smelling them.just divine!!'. I thank all those give good service but never considered that they'd helped me so much with my Christmas shopping, next year I'll tell them that & see what reaction I get.

:mysmilie_19:

I find it odd T that someone would thank a shopping channel for helping them with Christmas, did they get the goods for free? Now that really would be helping. :mysmilie_17:

I'd loved to have seen AK with Liz Earle.....

its funny my sister was making me laugh about how rude the call centre staff are now not as bubbly as they used to be. I am wondering if they have sacked a lot of them as they are now saying there's a longer wait to speak to a member of staff...after having to refund god know how many tens of thousands in postage refunds there must be a heavy air in QVC Towers...

its funny my sister was making me laugh about how rude the call centre staff are now not as bubbly as they used to be. I am wondering if they have sacked a lot of them as they are now saying there's a longer wait to speak to a member of staff...after having to refund god know how many tens of thousands in postage refunds there must be a heavy air in QVC Towers...

A few years ago they cut call centre staff, then they closed the lines at 2am (not a 24 hour service anymore) so all I can imagine is they’ve cut even more staff, losing profits I suppose. When I closed my account about six years ago they were still playing the same music of 20 years while you wait, that’s “Penny Lane” the Beatles, “stars” Simply Red and some fella singing about “wants to come home” that was so depressing you felt like chucking yourself off a twenty storey building by the time a call centre agent picked the phone up.......yes that’s QVC, moving with the times.

A few years ago they cut call centre staff, then they closed the lines at 2am (not a 24 hour service anymore) so all I can imagine is they’ve cut even more staff, losing profits I suppose. When I closed my account about six years ago they were still playing the same music of 20 years while you wait, that’s “Penny Lane” the Beatles, “stars” Simply Red and some fella singing about “wants to come home” that was so depressing you felt like chucking yourself off a twenty storey building by the time a call centre agent picked the phone up.......yes that’s QVC, moving with the times.

Yes, they're still being played on loop & last Sunday I listened to all of them in between assurances from Kabler the gabbler that my call was important to them. I quite like Mr Buble but agree that 'Home' is a bit of a dirge, however, the girl who answered my call was very professional & couldn't be faulted. It must soul destroying to have to listen to people who are angry, disappointed or rude - sometimes all three & I'd imagine the call centre staff get very little support from the Q.

Yes, they're still being played on loop & last Sunday I listened to all of them in between assurances from Kabler the gabbler that my call was important to them. I quite like Mr Buble but agree that 'Home' is a bit of a dirge, however, the girl who answered my call was very professional & couldn't be faulted. It must soul destroying to have to listen to people who are angry, disappointed or rude - sometimes all three & I'd imagine the call centre staff get very little support from the Q.

:mysmilie_15:

I suppose they play it on loop so you get fed up and think, ah bugger it! and put the phone down.

Latest posts

Back