Table presents

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

We went to an Indian restaurant for Christmas lunch 3 years in a row.
Then they were raided by the border control (?) people and that was the end of that. ****** shame, the food was wonderful.
Turkey Madras with sage and onion stuffed parathas and Bombay roast potatoes?

I grew up and am still in a “shifts” family, too…

Mum was sister of an ICU so was usually on an early, bless her.

Dad also medical, brother and uncle police, aunts midwives (and always on call over Christmas) etc etc

[On a tangent, one Christmas, my aunt as on call as usual and we were spending Boxing Day with them

Mid meal she got a call out - lady with severe pains thought she was going into labour…
My aunt rushed to her house to see her, and returned not too long afterwards.
Turned out to be trapped wind caused by eating too much Xmas pudding and the like! 🤣]

Anyway, yes it’s so important to remember those serving or otherwise working on Christmas Day, and over the festive season.

As you say, the world doesn’t stop!

I’ve worked myself at hospital on Xmas day and I have to say I loved it! Nice atmosphere and good to cheer up patients stuck there.
Also volunteered at a homeless shelter which was also good fun…

I would give ANYthing now to be able to do that, or to have poor mum rushing back home from work at 4pm, shattered, and serving up Christmas dinner in her uniform [we did help!]

Because of my illness, I’ve spent most of the past ?15+ Christmases - and New Years - on my own 😢

A couple of times I was well enough to see mum for an hour on the day but not for years.

It’s hard, especially since dad died over Christmas, and all the ads and so on can make you feel even lonelier, but mostly I try not to think about it.

And I am so grateful for many things.
Including the fact I have a nice home, my cat and technology which means I can stay in touch with friends and FaceTime family when I’m up to it.

Makes you realise what a hullabaloo a lot of it all is, but do please cherish time spent with your loved ones and enjoy sharing a meal together… X

PS. Sorry, I’ve done it again and written an essay! 🫤
❤️❤️

When we lived in Edinburgh we always went for a curry on Christmas Day. Superb! Even now, if we're in a holiday cottage or at home I buy takeaways in advance and freeze them to have on Christmas Day. This year we're away again to the posh hotel so it will be turkey and lots of everything - cooked by someone else 😀.

Oh and "We're all Jock Tamson's bairns" I believe means we're all God's children at the end of the day (rough translation). Come in and go out the same way.

CC

OH and me were invited to spend xmas with one of her sons and family about 150 miles away (being collected by car).

But I actually preferred to have a quiet xmas on my own and do exactly what I want, rather than fit around 4 others,so she is going without me, the first time apart for xmas for 18 years.

I am looking forward to it, I will even have an Indian takeaway for xmas lunch if they are open :)
Lucky you, sounds perfect! [V jealous! 😉]

Think if you *choose* to be on your own at Christmas and are well enough to be up, to take care of yourself, to watch TV or suit yourself - and sort some nice food, that’s lovely!

[So long as your other half doesn’t mind you not accompanying her to her family for once!]

But being on your own when it’s not through choice, and being too ill to partake of, or enjoy any elements of the festivities, it is/can be extremely tough… 😢

[Sorry don’t mean to be a downer nor meaning to be self-pitying - I try my darnedest to stay positive and to be grateful that I’m safe and warm and loved by people etc - but I it is sad…

And I hate to think of lonely elderly people on their own, and the homeless and the dying and the war-torn..
And, oh! It’s all too sad to go down that rabbit hole!!

So let’s spare a thought for others, or make a donation to the relevant charity, and just cherish the blessings of our own Christmases however small those may seem!] 🎄🎅🏻🥰

Lucky you, sounds perfect! [V jealous! 😉]

Think if you *choose* to be on your own at Christmas and are well enough to be up, to take care of yourself, to watch TV or suit yourself - and sort some nice food, that’s lovely!

[So long as your other half doesn’t mind you not accompanying her to her family for once!]

But being on your own when it’s not through choice, and being too ill to partake of, or enjoy any elements of the festivities, it is/can be extremely tough… 😢

[Sorry don’t mean to be a downer nor meaning to be self-pitying - I try my darnedest to stay positive and to be grateful that I’m safe and warm and loved by people etc - but I it is sad…

And I hate to think of lonely elderly people on their own, and the homeless and the dying and the war-torn..
And, oh! It’s all too sad to go down that rabbit hole!!

So let’s spare a thought for others, or make a donation to the relevant charity, and just cherish the blessings of our own Christmases however small those may seem!] 🎄🎅🏻🥰
Waiting for the local round table Santa sleigh to come round.

Latest posts

Back