Gifting.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
Jill has just suggested "gifting" a Lulu Guinness bag. Now, I don't know about you lot, but I wouldn't consider spending over £340 on a present.

'Gifting!' I hate that word.

Ridiculous. £340, sons not included, is just about my budget for the rest of my large family.

Everyone's budget is different. I'd spend that on a loved one.

Last edited:
Nothing new for her - she lives on a different planet to the rest of us. She gives me the impression that she would be quite sniffy if you deigned to give her a present that wasn't £30 or more, judging by her comments on other products, like "even a coffee and sandwich can cost you £15, so at £20 this is really good value".

I think because the Presenters live within the London area, their concept of 'value' is at odds with those of us that live the other side of the M25 and beyond !! and that only a handful of their viewers are prepared to pay £340 for a LG bag as a gift.

Whether Julia R actually lives in the house used in the promo for the Saturday night show or not, and the other presenters who are pictured in super kitchens or dining rooms - they are attempting to give the illusion that they are all living in wonderful 'show home' like places, that in reality the majority of their customers could not hope to achieve.

I've bought a LG bag for my mum and my son bought one for me... each to their own.

Yes I have spent that much on someone special in my life. I could afford it so why not.....I spend what I can afford without going into debt.

For some reason i don't like the word "gifting " Maybe it's just a QVC thing. No one I know uses the word.

Last edited:
Nothing new for her - she lives on a different planet to the rest of us. She gives me the impression that she would be quite sniffy if you deigned to give her a present that wasn't £30 or more, judging by her comments on other products, like "even a coffee and sandwich can cost you £15, so at £20 this is really good value".

I think because the Presenters live within the London area, their concept of 'value' is at odds with those of us that live the other side of the M25 and beyond !! and that only a handful of their viewers are prepared to pay £340 for a LG bag as a gift.

Whether Julia R actually lives in the house used in the promo for the Saturday night show or not, and the other presenters who are pictured in super kitchens or dining rooms - they are attempting to give the illusion that they are all living in wonderful 'show home' like places, that in reality the majority of their customers could not hope to achieve.

Catherine Huntley mentioned the other day that she had just bought her first home. This surprised me that it was her first. Unless she has just bought a place on her own and had previously joint owned?

Catherine Huntley mentioned the other day that she had just bought her first home. This surprised me that it was her first. Unless she has just bought a place on her own and had previously joint owned?

i'm not sure about that, but she used to rent the previous place as she kept reminding everyone.

Doesn't surprise me at all, given the London property market at the moment. It goes to show just how unattainable owning your own home in London (actually in the South-East) is now, particularly if you're single. If CH (who is blatantly on a good to very good salary) has had to wait this long before she's been able to buy her own pad what hope is there for the nurses, teachers, shop workers etc...

Last edited:
Of course £340 pounds may not be a problem for some people to spend on a gift,but i would suggest for a person on an ordinary income it is excessive in fact most recipients of a gift at that price would consider it to much.

'Gifting!' I hate that word.

Ridiculous. £340, sons not included, is just about my budget for the rest of my large family.
I agree Nicnac this amount of money will cover my total spend on gifts(can't stand that word 'gifting'. I wonder how much LG spends on her family cos let's face it she's made enough out of those overpriced plastics looking handbags she sells.

I've bought a LG bag for my mum and my son bought one for me... each to their own.

I would spend that on my immediate family, also, but when the presenters talk about gifting, they usually mean friends, wider family members - and don't forget teachers!

Everyone has a budget range from immediate loved ones right down to secret Santa.

If it was someone in the highest price range and I knew that they would die for a LG bag then I would think it was wonderful I had it sorted, but I don't think Mr LATI is interested in a LG bag!

Do others pitch their price range, not on what they can afford , but more on what the recipient spends? My only female relative has the same income as me but buys to a much much higher number of people so I buy to her based on her price point.

Anyway it is easy to buy when your pockets are deep but if someone takes the time and effort to get you something that bit different and tailored to you it doesn't matter how little it costs.

Pulling any old thing off a shelf and sticking it on a credit card regardless of price, is the easy way out IMO but it has taken me years to get Mr L to agree!

I am not into the LG range so I will not be offended if I don't get a handbag/purse for Christmas lol, A few years ago we decided to buy just for immediate family, and it seem to suit everyone just fine.....

I think people are missing the point about Jill's LG comment. She surely meant to buy it for someone who liked the range or you knew would appreciate it? I don't think she meant to randomly buy it for just anyone! !

Latest posts

Back