Christmas ornaments for gifts?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Is it me? But I think its daft to give Xmas ornaments as a Xmas present. By the time it's opened on the day, Christmas is all but over ! Gill Gaunt is showing Xmas tree teapots and waxing lyrical about how they come in their own gift box, well sorry I just couldn't do it, and if I was given an ornament I'd more than raise an eyebrow.

Is it me? But I think its daft to give Xmas ornaments as a Xmas present. By the time it's opened on the day, Christmas is all but over ! Gill Gaunt is showing Xmas tree teapots and waxing lyrical about how they come in their own gift box, well sorry I just couldn't do it, and if I was given an ornament I'd more than raise an eyebrow.
I agree with you, I would not do this either.

Yes and no - I personally think ornaments are a no no as gifts, if the recipient is gonna give it houseroom then they really need to love it . You might think they will but they’re very easy to get wrong. Christmas ornaments ( especially if the recipient loves Xmas ) yeah why not? They’ve only got to display it for a short while and they can put it up for a couple of weeks after the 25th.

People seem to get more excited about the run-up than the day itself. Christmas day almost seems like an anti-climax.

As a main present? Unless the person concerned collects Christmas ornaments, then no.

Giving someone a naff ornament as an add-on if I think they'll find it funny? Possibly. It would depend on the person and the ornament.

These days I am more likely to send friends and family photos of dodgy or unintentionally funny Christmas ornaments. It's far cheaper 🎄

Those teapots and mugs are unusable. Clunky, thick and ugly. Giving tree decorations as a present on Christmas Day is a cop out, imo. An easy gift, but a disappointing one to the recipient. If they're given beforehand, it would work if they were something stupendous.
Agree Griz, imo they are verging on hideous. Can you imagine trying to wash them after a hot chocolate has been made in them? They look heavy and difficult to drink out of. Gift box or not, it's a no from me.

Gosh I threw away my old xmas tree. Just couldn't be bothered to fight with it to get it back in the cupboard under the stairs. Now I am annoyed as I want a tree again. And the only ones I like cost silly money. Oh Well!!!

Collectible Beer Steins on QVC.. A long gone ornamental type show from the late 1990s when men were still seen as a recognised commercial gender on the channel. Of course…I‘m not saying beer steins are not collected by women and all the other genders we have now.

Like the humongous cookie jars from a few years ago. Cheap pottery.
Good lord, whilst I've never had one myself I know the ones you mean, ugly bulky and you can't see what's inside. They take up more cupboard space or any space for that matter than the equivalent in individual packets of biscuits. I did buy myself a biscuit barrel once and though it was smaller and fairly plain but I found it impractical. I don't buy many biscuits anyway but I keep the packets in the cupboard and when opened I usually pop the contents into a clear lock and lock to keep them fresh. As for buying seasonal pottery I really don't see the point in having to find the extra storage space for xmas mugs, salt and pepper pots, gravy boats etc etc when the stuff you use all year round does the job just as well. I can just about see the point in a festive table cloth that will fold up small or even a disposable one.

Gosh I threw away my old xmas tree. Just couldn't be bothered to fight with it to get it back in the cupboard under the stairs. Now I am annoyed as I want a tree again. And the only ones I like cost silly money. Oh Well!!!
Boffy, look at Tesco trees. Prelit, I've had mine three years now and whilst it's not in the Kelly Hoppen class it's not bad for the £40 odd that I paid. Also the Range?

Boffy, look at Tesco trees. Prelit, I've had mine three years now and whilst it's not in the Kelly Hoppen class it's not bad for the £40 odd that I paid. Also the Range?
Thanks for that tip cashers will let you know how I get on.

These "Xmas Gifting" shows are an absolute joke, its just the normal tat they sell with the word "GIFT" in the title! DIY GIFTS, ELECTRICAL GIFTS, ACCESSORIES GIFTS, same old shows

These "Xmas Gifting" shows are an absolute joke, its just the normal tat they sell with the word "GIFT" in the title! DIY GIFTS, ELECTRICAL GIFTS, ACCESSORIES GIFTS, same old shows
Yes, it's as if they don't think that anyone would have the sense to realise that a keen crafter or a d.i.y enthusiast might like something related to their hobby for their birthday or Christmas. It's high season for sales tactics - when they remind us that we need to buy something for the postman, the kid's teacher, next door neighbour, the traffic warden, the local Bobby and Uncle Tom Cobley and all. We'll be told that as siblings we can club together to buy mum the vacuum cleaner of her dreams, a humungous storage ottoman is an ideal stocking filler, people would prefer an ornament to a box of chocolates (unless they're trying to sell you Hotel Chocolat), anything from Cozee Home will not be sold without the mention of Christmas movies and hot chocolate with squirty cream & marshmellows (ffs say it right!) last but not least everyone needs a new Centigrade coat to wear on those crisp walks everybody has after their Christmas dinner!

Latest posts

Back