Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

They had an Accurist watch show last night with beard for hair. The expert, I think, going on the sound of his voice (you rarely if ever saw him) was the guy who’d been on before and was actually from Accurist rather than another out of work actor with some cue cards. Keep Kissing Your Mask couldn’t really do much therefore so in terms of quoting Brothers Grimm RRPs. Accurist prices are pretty transparent throughout the net and their RRPs not set by the company at ludicrously high levels.

A decent, honest and long term brand (I had a couple of their watches in the late 1980s), Friendly Advice, was essentially stuck with one tactic - ’well, you’d worry, wouldn’t you if you had a really expensive watch on your wrist all the time’ or words to that effect. He may also have tried the old ’these could be confused with watches of a very expensive brand‘ routine, but I didn’t see all of the show, so cannot be sure on that one.

Along with an expert just wanting to focus on facts, The Fascinating Story of Jenny reminded me somewhat of Eric Cantona having to play out a match on one leg - his natural flamboyant game was kicked (literally) into touch.
I think that at one time Accurist we’re the sponsors of the ‘speaking clock’ on the phone. Does that still exist?
Anyway, just as you say, a ‘real’ brand, with much more genuine history than the Dartmouth/Solar/ etc brands that IW usually sell.

Yes, it actually does on 123. A man sounding like Donald Crisp is doing the time. What a tedious job for him day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute.. A nice punishment for Olive Butler/Reg V. - locking him in a room with a clock and to do that job live for the next ten years. I am now going to ring 01-246-8007 and see if Ed Stewart is still on from above doing Children’s London…

They had an Accurist watch show last night with beard for hair. The expert, I think, going on the sound of his voice (you rarely if ever saw him) was the guy who’d been on before and was actually from Accurist rather than another out of work actor with some cue cards. Keep Kissing Your Mask couldn’t really do much therefore so in terms of quoting Brothers Grimm RRPs. Accurist prices are pretty transparent throughout the net and their RRPs not set by the company at ludicrously high levels.

A decent, honest and long term brand (I had a couple of their watches in the late 1980s), Friendly Advice, was essentially stuck with one tactic - ’well, you’d worry, wouldn’t you if you had a really expensive watch on your wrist all the time’ or words to that effect. He may also have tried the old ’these could be confused with watches of a very expensive brand‘ routine, but I didn’t see all of the show, so cannot be sure on that one.

Along with an expert just wanting to focus on facts, The Fascinating Story of Jenny reminded me somewhat of Eric Cantona having to play out a match on one leg - his natural flamboyant game was kicked (literally) into touch.
Yeah, all jokes aside I think the presenters struggle with doing a so-called ordinary, fact based presentation. Why? Because they're so used to constantly exaggerating, making stupid unfounded claims etc. Calm and considered they don't do ... because they need to ensure viewers are whipped up into a buying frenzy. That's the theory they'll go by.

Not the best analogy but it's a bit like asking the server in McDonald's for something they don't have a till button for. 'Cannot compute, cannot compute, brain overload, brain overload!!!'

I think that at one time Accurist we’re the sponsors of the ‘speaking clock’ on the phone. Does that still exist?
Anyway, just as you say, a ‘real’ brand, with much more genuine history than the Dartmouth/Solar/ etc brands that IW usually sell.

Although i agree with what you're saying, they are a pale shadow of what they once were. More just an affordable quartz watch these days, made in China, but at least seem to have better designs etc and a more reputable and honest ethos compared to some of the other brands on IW.

The only Accurist i have is the Silver dial 'Clarkenwell 1946'.

Although i agree with what you're saying, they are a pale shadow of what they once were. More just an affordable quartz watch these days, made in China, but at least seem to have better designs etc and a more reputable and honest ethos compared to some of the other brands on IW.

The only Accurist i have is the Silver dial 'Clarkenwell 1946'.
Like most stuff we buy these days unfortunately.

Trigger in plastic has entered the studio…Equipment for your horse? Really?? Where is that bloke with the magical golf clubs?

Interesting reviews of the company concerned.

A shopping channel selling equestrian gear on a random Tuesday night! This is just bizarre in my opinion, I mean honeslty in this case how can the presenters give it the usual "this wont last long gang, these have almost sold out etc etc........."

The big horse didnt make a noise yet makes better listening to than the usual old tried and tested IW presenters!!!

2022 a mad year all round indeed!!! 🐴

You guys would be forgiven for thinking I make this stuff up (timing wise) ... I don't!!!

I hopped on last night (when I hop on, I don't know what stuff they'll be selling or who's presenting, I simply hop on randomly) and Mike M was flogging watches. 10 secs into my viewing he says along these lines ...

I'm going to do something I don't often do, I'm going to put this watch up to my wrist to give you an idea what it's like on. Oh, I mean come on guys, look at this. It looks like a watch that cost THOUSANDS!

No it didn't. Whilst it looked decent enough, there was absolutely nothing about it that would make any sensible person jump to the conclusion that it cost thousands.

Yes yes, it's just what they always do, using '101 selling techniques for the gullible' but nevertheless, it's a frustrating thing to witness. Needless to say, after 50 secs or so, I was back to proper telly ;)

How the feck these channels are surviving when we have the likes of Amazon etc available to us, goodness only knows.

Keep fondling your masks is a speedy seller, I’ll give him that. One watch on the wrist, then one off the wrist and one watch on…

This morning on Exemplar Planet we have the Anne Zeigler & Webster Booth of shopping television on duty. The man with the science fiction rubber head is talking about tickets for the ABBA musical and the woman with fixed grin is regularly telling us doors are flying out the window.. Marvellous..When is the Sick Bucket Pick of the Day coming on as I am feeling distinctly nauseous.

You guys would be forgiven for thinking I make this stuff up (timing wise) ... I don't!!!

I hopped on last night (when I hop on, I don't know what stuff they'll be selling or who's presenting, I simply hop on randomly) and Mike M was flogging watches. 10 secs into my viewing he says along these lines ...

I'm going to do something I don't often do, I'm going to put this watch up to my wrist to give you an idea what it's like on. Oh, I mean come on guys, look at this. It looks like a watch that cost THOUSANDS!

No it didn't. Whilst it looked decent enough, there was absolutely nothing about it that would make any sensible person jump to the conclusion that it cost thousands.

Yes yes, it's just what they always do, using '101 selling techniques for the gullible' but nevertheless, it's a frustrating thing to witness. Needless to say, after 50 secs or so, I was back to proper telly ;)

How the feck these channels are surviving when we have the likes of Amazon etc available to us, goodness only knows.

I believe you, thing is, doesn't matter what time of day you 'hop on' to IW, whether it's 7am or 7pm, you are guaranteed some bullshit is being spouted. ;)

Sadly, it's cause the country like a lot of the world is full of selfish brain dead numpties that sleepwalk into being easily led/fooled/brainwashed. Seems like a lot of IE viewers see these presenters/guests as fun loving honest knowledgeable friends rather than the liars/con artists/shysters that they actually are.

"How the feck these channels are surviving" is a perplexing question though, if it was just a bit of exaggeration here and there, then you could understand how they would get away with that, but on IW the constant amount of lies and bullshit is off the Richter Scale yet it doesn't seem to bother IW customers or the relevent authorities who are supposed to ensure that this type of behaviour doesn't happen, really is mind-boggling how they get away with it.

Should we have a sweepstake on the next Ashley Brand to get a run out. I note that Agent Provocateur is one of his brands. Den in a corset with Mason and Simons introducing/leering anybody?? 🤢🤢🤮
Take your pick from this selection of Mikey boi Ashley brands.
Who'll be next on the Ideal world of Mike Ashley.

• Bob’s Stores
  • Firetrap
  • Flannels
  • French Connection
  • Game
  • House of Fraser
  • Sofa.com
  • Jack Wills
  • Eastern Mountain Sports
  • Evans Cycles
  • Gelert
  • Heatons
  • Sweatshop
  • USC
  • Sports Direct
  • Agent Provocateur
  • British Knights
  • Carlton
  • Donnay
  • Everlast
  • Gelert
  • Gul
  • Hot Tuna
  • Kangol
  • Karrimor
  • LA Gear
  • Lonsdale
  • Muddyfox
  • No Fear
  • Slazenger

I don't watch much selly telly nowadays (it was only ever for the amusement factor anyway) but I happened to see Peter Simon on with a bloke doing some cooking demo; I can't even tell you what the product was, some pressure cooker type thing I think. Anyway, the cringe factor of PS has increased a hundred fold since the last time I saw him. It's like watching some fifth rate end of the pier show. The bloke appears trapped in the 1970s. Totally embarrassing.

Latest posts

Back