Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I don’t think anyone should get to down about the demise of Ideal World,it was always going to happen.
If you want want your fix of comedy shopping tv,QVC will meet your requirements.
Delboy,2sizes2small, Knuckles, world renowned beauty therapist etc they are all there, just as bad as the bid up lot, but with a more efficient setup and terrible postal charges.
A multi million pound company how long will they last?
Who knows maybe the last one standing in a few years time🤔
If Alison Young thinks the whole world knows about her then she lives on the planet zog, 2sizes2small I’m guessing is Juila Roberts

Tony Blackburn did have his own show back in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Now, I can’t remember for sure if he was joined by a regular presenter or not, but I suspect so, as he probably wouldn’t want sales figures (or lack of them) and all the other production type stuff to deal with through an earpiece.

Back then QVC was a very different animal from the polished and PC outfit of today. They were regularly selling things that have disappeared from today’s relentless make-up, fashion and fragrances, that for me, now makes it more or less unwatchable. CDs, hi-fis, model vehicles, memorabilia shows, dedicated DIY shows, a LOT MORE tech shows - not presented by a solo idiot on speed dial. Proper tech presentation with an expert from the product’s company to explain in detail. Like society in general, over the last 15 or 20 years, everything has been dumbed down to the extent where a view is taken people can’t concentrate without music playing in the background or a maximum of two minutes to explain anything. Hence the style of their current ‘expert’.

I think a conscious decision was made by QVC probably within the last five years or so, or maybe a bit longer, to completely alienate most male viewers. I am guessing here, but I would suspect 80% of their output at least is directed towards female customers. Goods that they did sell that were more male orientated generally speaking, have gradually disappeared. Clearly, they have no interest in encouraging men to either watch or buy from the channel and who are we to criticise as clearly their business model is far more successful than the channel’s forum we are posting on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tech expert. Went on to do BBC tech stuff.

On Tony Blackburn, I remember now that he went on to present in a similar style at Ideal World..

David somebody, I think? Northern guy, suited and booted. Do Goodmans still exist? Also USB turntables were featured regularly. I bought one...it was sh…

Looks like Goodmans Industries was dissolved last year according to Companies House..

Think that looks like a fake or different Alan Ennis account. Been on the go since 2021 with no personal information etc, no tweets just that one reply.

There is this one, which looks like an official one (you can see the differences), but doesn't seemed to have used it for years.

He's a pizza van and various other businesses so shouldn't be a problem for him finding work.

As for IW, well all i'm going to say is the serious problems IW were suffering from existed loooong before Hamish Majaria got involved, so blaming him seems like passing the buck, they were on a downward spiral that needed a miracle to reverse, the presenters, senior management, middle management and so called "expert guest"/"demonstrators" can all take the blame for that, most of them needed sacking years ago. And i can't believe that staff weren't aware of the serious prediciment the company were in so all this unexpected shock just doesn't cut it, yeah i have sympathy with the low level staff (non decision makers) losing jobs, but can't believe staff felt they were in secure jobs given what had happened just a couple of years ago.

If we, with no connection to company, could see how financially badly IW were doing, then i'm pretty sure staff could as well.
He'll doubtless pop up on HSL or something as well. I often see QVC's Lucy Piper on that, shilling tat. As you say, IW's problems started a long time ago. I think the 'cheap and tacky' direction which IW took c.2013 was the beginning of the end. The 'original' presenters like Elis, Dennice, Sean, Joanne, even Howard, might not have had the QVC polish (and pretentiousness), but that worked in their favour. They were more 'real', but still outwardly decent. Cut to the BidTV trash, and you end up with a channel with an ever-shrinking inventory of mainly the sort of tat and poor-quality items found in a pound shop, shilled by wideboys, market traders, door-to-door salesmen and chancers.

It was doomed.

He'll doubtless pop up on HSL or something as well. I often see QVC's Lucy Piper on that, shilling tat. As you say, IW's problems started a long time ago. I think the 'cheap and tacky' direction which IW took c.2013 was the beginning of the end. The 'original' presenters like Elis, Dennice, Sean, Joanne, even Howard, might not have had the QVC polish (and pretentiousness), but that worked in their favour. They were more 'real', but still outwardly decent. Cut to the BidTV trash, and you end up with a channel with an ever-shrinking inventory of mainly the sort of tat and poor-quality items found in a pound shop, shilled by wideboys, market traders, door-to-door salesmen and chancers.

It was doomed.
Sean and Dennice turned that way though

Personally, I found that Howard guy an extremely smarmy character. Couldn't stand his style of presentation. You wonder though, whether people like him and others got out two or three years ago knowing the route it was going to ultimately take.

Essentially, all they really have now for men in general is the occasional tech item presented as if to children, the odd DIY product, garden and kitchen stuff and pork pies...Last decent tech guy was Mat Trim.

Just found this video

Thanks, very interesting.

The related video showing the last minutes of IW was ironic that the last brand advert prior to the blue screen was Bench. That's where they ended up!

Also the documentary showing the run-up and launch of IW with Paul Wright showed Tony Blackburn, previously of QVC, also selling 60s shagadelic party CDs.

And not hairpieces, as I'd expected...👴

Latest posts

Back