Random musings/no argument zone

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I wonder if we will see Checked Shirt Charlie appear anywhere else? Hope so. He seemed a nice chap. His falling through the step ladder was my favourite Bid moment ever.

It was embarrassing listening to him & I simply had to turn it off.

This ^^

We're regular Gems TV viewers in our house - and its on for most of the day between other programs. Last night though, we had to switch off. It was awful. The only other presenter that has the honour of being switched off whenever she appears is Vicky Carr.

Peter is out of his depth. Last night, there must have been a world record breaking number of "Not only....." and "Extraordinary"' mentions.

He's going to get Gems into trouble with the ASA soon if he's not too careful. I suspect there's a lot of his old Bid haters watching him in the hope he'll fail - and they'll be on his case if he keeps making the slips ups he has been making.

So far this week, we've had filled rubies referred to as natural rubies (they're not natural if they've been treated or enhanced). Gems were quite open about them being treated on their graphics - but Peter missed it.

He also referred to Ethiopian Opals as being "Not only from Ethiopia. Not only from Australia. Not only from other parts of the world". Ethiopian Opals come from Ethiopia only Pete - the clue is in the name.

He also said Golden Beryl had plenty of shiller - which is strange because you only get schiller in Moonstone and Labradorite (or as Pete calls it, Labradite......).

I appreciate he's new - but he really should avoid giving descriptions if he's unsure of the stones because it could come back to haunt him if someone wants to be awkward and report him to the ASA.

I like Gems TV (a lot) - but taking on PS was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their Gemporia facebook page rarely has complaints about presenters - but since Peter Simon started, its been flooded with posts about him. I've never seen any presenter divide opinion so much. On their Gemporia page, it seems he's either loved or hated. No in-between.

This ^^

We're regular Gems TV viewers in our house - and its on for most of the day between other programs. Last night though, we had to switch off. It was awful. The only other presenter that has the honour of being switched off whenever she appears is Vicky Carr.

Peter is out of his depth. Last night, there must have been a world record breaking number of "Not only....." and "Extraordinary"' mentions.

He's going to get Gems into trouble with the ASA soon if he's not too careful. I suspect there's a lot of his old Bid haters watching him in the hope he'll fail - and they'll be on his case if he keeps making the slips ups he has been making.

So far this week, we've had filled rubies referred to as natural rubies (they're not natural if they've been treated or enhanced). Gems were quite open about them being treated on their graphics - but Peter missed it.

He also referred to Ethiopian Opals as being "Not only from Ethiopia. Not only from Australia. Not only from other parts of the world". Ethiopian Opals come from Ethiopia only Pete - the clue is in the name.

He also said Golden Beryl had plenty of shiller - which is strange because you only get schiller in Moonstone and Labradorite (or as Pete calls it, Labradite......).

I appreciate he's new - but he really should avoid giving descriptions if he's unsure of the stones because it could come back to haunt him if someone wants to be awkward and report him to the ASA.

I like Gems TV (a lot) - but taking on PS was a huge mistake in my opinion. Their Gemporia facebook page rarely has complaints about presenters - but since Peter Simon started, its been flooded with posts about him. I've never seen any presenter divide opinion so much. On their Gemporia page, it seems he's either loved or hated. No in-between.

They have been in trouble with ASA before I think they know the score.

Last edited:
"This is mother nature's very own remarkable creation"..."I have never in my life..wait a second don't tell me we are going lower.. You don't get anything like this any day, the most spectactular, the envious of gems in the world".

"One of the biggest you and I will have ever seen, for my very first I have never seen over 7 carats of a rare and graded triple A tanzanite ooooooh!!! Look at that!!!!!!"
"The most sublime, the most elegant, the most esquiste..."
"It only comes from one mountain in the world, mount Kilamanjaro no other women in the world, minascule women 1% of women own a triple A.." "The crown jewels of beauty".

Oh my God he's lost it he has just said this:"If you have been watching me on television for a number of years I thank you for that, this job has provided me with some really inspirational moments, meeting Princess Diane, going and seeing Elton John in the early 70's, not only going and working with Anthony Newley and meeting Frank Sinatra, not only of appearing with Liberace this has given me a career of when i die it will have satisfied on the tomb." :mysmilie_486::mysmilie_466:

Watched PS for the first time last night on Gems. The only thing missing was the Bid.tv introduction.

I think over time he'll become a liability and cause no end of problems. I don't think the Gems viewers will take much of the B$. :mysmilie_17:

He's definitely back to his old ways already, he said 'if you are at home watching this on your own and he always promised you a diamond...... just buy'.... it was said with the best Peter mock sincerity preying on the old, i wonder how long Gems will put up with it all?

I suspect there's a lot of his old Bid haters watching him

I had no idea he had any...:mysmilie_17:

I swear to god, last night he said ''if you buy this, you are a custodian of the world''

what does that actually mean!!! he is full of ****.

pardon my language. I hope everyone is well.

He's definitely back to his old ways already, he said 'if you are at home watching this on your own and he always promised you a diamond...... just buy'.... it was said with the best Peter mock sincerity preying on the old, i wonder how long Gems will put up with it all?

Maybe the shystering is indoctrinated in them now, perhaps there's no going back?

I guess it's Gems TV's call but they really shouldn't be too surprised if the complaints start, i'm not at all interested in Jewellery so doubt i'll see much of the old goat anyway :mysmilie_59:

I swear to god, last night he said ''if you buy this, you are a custodian of the world''

what does that actually mean!!! he is full of ****.

pardon my language. I hope everyone is well.

According to 'Peter Simon Says' on twitter the actual quote was-"I think when you own a Miras Gerais Kunzite you become a custodian of nature."

He's round the bend.

OMG the outlet channel are using the Bid TV Music... seriously very very bad idea....

Just watching it now, looks as though they're broadcasting from the BBC Broom cupboard (defunct since the mid 1990's) :grin:

Agreed on the music. Looks as though the ghost of Bid is going to be flogged like a dead horse for a while yet...

I guess it's Gems TV's call but they really shouldn't be too surprised if the complaints start

Their Gemporia Facebook page is full of comments about him. he seems to be very love/hate on there. Some saying he's funny and knowledgeable (Really? It's 80's poor mans Larry Grayson comedy at its worst, with not only made up descriptions and half finished sentences - but each to their own) - others saying they can't stand him.

They very rarely get comments about presenters on their page - yet since Peter has started, there's love/hate comments galore each time he does his show.

Latest posts

Back