Social Media - That was an eyeopener

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

A happy Stan

Hi everyone at QVC. I would like to wish everyone at QVC a very merry Christmas and just to say thanks. Even if I don’t buy I like watching the shows I like all the presenters and of course there are favourites such as Dale and Andy who are hysterical - it’s nice to be cheered up. I have had really good service this year and although I returned a couple as not suitable fir me I have been very happy. I love the easy pays as it means I can buy things I would not normally be able to gave. Anyway thanks very much and keep doing what you do.
💖

At this time of year our town is over run with dodgy Big Issue sellers.
We have our regular vendor, Dan an ex army man who is absolutely lovely but the December lot are vile.
A customer came into my store and told me one of the rogue sellers was targeting elderly ladies by putting the magazine in their shopping bag then demanding £4.00, no social distancing, no face mask.
This made me a tad annoyed so I took over door duty at the store and kept an eye on the street, and the customer was correct, I saw it happening so I'm up the street all guns blazing and suggested to the old lady that she give the guy his magazine back but he was a huge Middle Eastern bloke and she was so intimidated she said she would rather pay him.
We got busy so I was away from the door for a couple of hours but then I saw it happen again, this time the elderly lady was almost in tears so I'm down the street again, I told her she could give him his magazine back because he wouldn't dare try anything with me there so she did, thanked me and left then the vendor lost the plot and was so enraged he threatened me with all sorts and as he wasn't wearing a mask I could feel his spit on my face :-(
My manager let the police know and I complained to our local Big Issue office...we haven't seen him since.

We have our regular vendor, Dan an ex army man who is absolutely lovely but the December lot are vile.
A customer came into my store and told me one of the rogue sellers was targeting elderly ladies by putting the magazine in their shopping bag then demanding £4.00, no social distancing, no face mask.
This made me a tad annoyed so I took over door duty at the store and kept an eye on the street, and the customer was correct, I saw it happening so I'm up the street all guns blazing and suggested to the old lady that she give the guy his magazine back but he was a huge Middle Eastern bloke and she was so intimidated she said she would rather pay him.
We got busy so I was away from the door for a couple of hours but then I saw it happen again, this time the elderly lady was almost in tears so I'm down the street again, I told her she could give him his magazine back because he wouldn't dare try anything with me there so she did, thanked me and left then the vendor lost the plot and was so enraged he threatened me with all sorts and as he wasn't wearing a mask I could feel his spit on my face :-(
My manager let the police know and I complained to our local Big Issue office...we haven't seen him since.
I was listening to a radio phone show the other day and they were discussing Big Issue sellers and you can donate online and even to a particular regular seller.

Gosh Susie. I am shocked but well done you! I know these people must be seriously up against it but intimidating old ladies isn’t the way to go about things!
From what I heard after it was all over it's a family that comes to our town, in a car from Peterborough where they have a house, and apparently the week before the guy I had dealings with (I assume the father) was arrested because he was going into shops and harassing customers plus he assaulted our regular vendor, not only that a young woman gave him £20 for a Big Issue and he refused to give her any change.

Oh Goodness! I'm so glad you alerted these people.....

I was once taken in by a spoof Big Issue seller, as I was getting my money out he was pushing the magazine into my bag.When I got home it was a free magazine form a shop.I regret I did not report this because they spoil it for the genuine people.So if it happens to you don’t be lazy like me & report it.

I was once taken in by a spoof Big Issue seller, as I was getting my money out he was pushing the magazine into my bag.When I got home it was a free magazine form a shop.I regret I did not report this because they spoil it for the genuine people.So if it happens to you don’t be lazy like me & report it.
Ideas and schemes which start with good intentions will always be exploited and spoilt by a certain few, and nothing will be done about it.

I used to buy the Big Issue but now a lot of the sellers are fakes. You used to see them in Edinburgh getting out of vans/minibuses in the morning and taking the best pitches. It used to be for the homeless but now it seems to be just organised begging.

CC
What a real shame. It only takes one rotten apple to spoil a barrel, sadly.
The guy who started it was homeless himself at one point I believe. I have no doubt he started it for admirable reasons, and provided dignity and purpose for people who had hit rock bottom in their lives, and a route back to a more regular life.
I don't think turning it into a professional begging operation was in his mind.

There is a Romanian woman who has been selling Big Issue a nearby village for umpteen years.

I refuse to give as surely by this time she has had the opportunity to get some sort of work in the last 10 years.
I believe, and I may be wrong, but selling the Big Issue is classed as self employment and if you work 15 hours or more you can claim benefits to top up your income.

I've been homeless and unemployed (which I wouldn't wish on anyone) but thankfully I've always been able to get a job and work my way out of it.

CC

She sits outside the same butchers every day (for 10 years) and I have to bite my tongue as I want to say get up of your arse, go into that butchers and ask if you can do something for paid work.

i remember being on holiday and we passed a man who had a large pile of books beside him whilst he read basking in the sun with a placard and tin totally ignoring the public he was begging off. Excuse me, but I had to get up everyday to work somewhere I didn’t particularly like for 50 bliddy years to pay my bills not spend my day reading.

Our regular vendor works at an Amazon warehouse but on an as and when basis, so sometimes we don't see him for a couple of weeks then he gets laid off which disappoints him as he always hopes that this time he will be kept on but to be honest I'm not sure if he could cope with a long term job because he's ex army and did tours in Bosnia and Northern Ireland at the height of the troubles where he was injured by a bomb blast which left him with PTSD so he can't seem to commit to anything but selling The Big Issue, which gives him some pride as it's his own micro business and it means he gets a permanent bed in a hostel

By the way, the rogue seller I had dealings with hasn't been seen since :D

They are Romainan gypsies who sell big issues not the big issue. I just tell them to f*ck off if the come need me. I know someone works works in a homeless shelter he said loads of the regulars get up bring a sleeping bag and go begging for the day then come back at night. There are a number of beggars who just do it for a living. A friend used to give a man until.she spotted him dressed up with a brand new high end push bike coming out of Tesco loaded down with his shopping. He still sits in town dressed like a homeless man begging.

Then there are the junkies. Quite a few died here the other year in doorways. The news said it was the cold but no they od ed. Seems if you are high your temperature drops and you stop feeling cold which does not help.

Dear Sir Would you be interested in buying my Art?Sincerely Anita Carr. Just seen this on Q's community page and looked at her other stuff displayed on FB....Oh dear. I know this is wrong and very naughty but the devil in me want's to put the word "No" in the comments, or at least click the laughing emoji...but I just can't do it!

1609155511077.png

Latest posts

Back