19 years on.. older and better??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
Happy Birthday QVC. :cake:

I am one of the original QVC members..who joined, in the days of the mis-matched wooden chairs, chipped edged QVC rulers, and dodgy graphics. Watched Paul Lavers in leotards, Jilly & JR in shoulderpads, and various USA miracle products (who could forget the transform metal into gold solution, and the microwave crisp maker - my 'crisps' set alight as they rotated on their tray - which melted)

So if like myself, you have been a QVC buyer since the start... what is your opinion as QVC grew, and 'blossomed' from a little baby, into now, the final year of being a rebellious teen?

Personally I think it is not as great as the good old days.:wonder:

My top 3 Gripes:

1. The respect for the customer.. considering it is US who have kept QVC on air for so long, QVC were quick to forget this, as they continue to make ££$$££ profit

2. The Diamonique -(a later thread to come) The quality of diamonique has gone from 'awesome' to 'acceptable' to todays effort, which is, at best, christmas cracker "oh! I've got a ring in mine!" gift
3. The integrity of the sales pitch -- virtually zero

I will praise - The ease of ordering today. I remember in the old days, if their ONE order line phone number was jammed because of a fantastic offer on air - it was jolly hard luck! A bargain of QVCs was A HUGE bargain in the 90s

oh & the endless 14ct gold tennis bracelets - hmm which one shall I have? Peridot, blue topaz, garnet, amethyst, citrine? I cant decide! :giggle:

Over to you! :rock:

Last edited:
Wasn't involved from the start, sadly. But in the years I've been watching (12 or so) I have to say that as the production values have gone up the laughs have gone down. It used to be SO funny and camp, now it's very corporate. Yes there are still golden moments, and some of the products are still "odd", but the more high profile brands they get, the less funny it becomes.

Shame really.

I am one of the original QVC members..who joined, in the days of the mis-matched wooden chairs, chipped edged QVC rulers, and dodgy graphics. Watched Paul Lavers in leotards, Jilly & JR in shoulderpads, and various USA miracle products (who could forget the transform metal into gold solution, and the microwave crisp maker - my 'crisps' set alighst as they rotated on their tray - which melted)

So if like myself, you have been a QVC buyer since the start... what is your opinion as QVC grew, and 'blossomed' from a little baby, into now, the final year of being a rebellious teen?

Personally I think it is not as great as the good old days.:wonder:

My top 3 Gripes:

1. The respect for the customer.. considering it is US who have kept QVC on air for so long, QVC were quick to forget this, as they made £ profit

2. The Diamonique -(a later thread to come) The quality of diamonique has gone from 'awesome' to 'acceptable' to todays effort, which is, at best, christmas cracker "oh! I've got a ring in mine!" gift
3. The integrity of the sales pitch -- virtually zero

I will praise - The ease of ordering today. I remember in the old days, if their ONE order line phone number was jammed because of a fantastic offer on air - it was jolly hard luck! A bargain of QVCs was A HUGE bargain in the 90s

oh & the endless 14ct gold tennis bracelets - hmm which one shall I have? Peridot, blue topaz, garnet, amethyst, citrine? I cant decide! :giggle:

Over to you! :rock:
Snap! My first order was a roaster tin with a cover, I agree that it is easier to order things now than before but the quality has gone down since the early days on certain brands, I suppose the saying 'swings and roundabouts' is apt? I remember Julia in her shoulder pads too and Jilly getting ready for her wedding lol

I am one of the original QVC members..who joined, in the days of the mis-matched wooden chairs, chipped edged QVC rulers, and dodgy graphics....

...So if like myself, you have been a QVC buyer since the start... what is your opinion as QVC grew, and 'blossomed' from a little baby, into now, the final year of being a rebellious teen?

I don't miss the endless measuring of everything....with those old wooden rulers! You could go away for half an hour, come back & they'd still be talking about (& still measuring!) the same bl**dy item! The ruddy dolls were the worst, remember them? Talk about soporific....!

I think the presenters are a lot more professional nowadays & I certainly don't miss some of the original ones, very low end shopping channel some of 'em were!

I miss the stupendous value of some of the TSVs, unlike now, where they frequently just knock the equivalent of the p&p off!

I miss the entertainment of the 'amusing tat' that used to be on, nowadays it's just boring old 'run of the mill tat', not very amusing at all really!

I love ordering via the website nowadays, don't miss having to 'phone up to buy things!

What I most dislike about how they've 'grown' is their constant introduction & flogging of 'own brand' stuff & 'made especially for QVC' items, I hate that aspect of QVC!

They seem to be less of a 'joke' now & I wouldn't be too mortified to admit I'd bought a certain item on QVC any more, would've been in the old days though! lol

Ahhh!..the old days, I wonder what ~customer number ~ they are up to now, think I have one of the early ones...my first item, the pen set that used to get stabbed through the drink can :giggle: I can remember the sly way I used to phone ( to make sure no one knew :whew:) and then fell guilty about ordering something not even seen in real life...quite blase about it now! :smirk: I think things have improved greatly.

daydreamer

I am one of the original members,my first purchase was a Gale Hayman lipstick that turned out to be bright red it went straight in the bin and I still haven't learned my lesson.
Lynn

I first shopped with QVC back in 1997, it was a giant Elemis cleanser and toner 500mls each under £20. That is how I fell in love with the brand, it was the original woman who owned the company who did the guest presenter spot. AY back then actually told us what,why and when no celebs were ever mentioned. The beauty shows were fun in those days.

I remember watching with a friend who had Sky before that and thinking no way will people actually buy from the TV. I remember two chefs who appeared together and found over the equipment. They were just so funny, even stopped demonstrating stuff to argue.

Today its all slick and shiny and push push push.

I don't like the way QVC charge P&P per item when most other on line shops have one P&P for everything.

I also think they are a bit out of touch with how ordinary people are struggling with money these days. For example Emu slippers on today for over £90.00 inc postage and boots for nearly £220.00 for you to wear 'apres skiing'. What about normal people who want to sling on a pair of boots to go Asda shopping?.

I don't like the way QVC charge P&P per item when most other on line shops have one P&P for everything.

I also think they are a bit out of touch with how ordinary people are struggling with money these days. For example Emu slippers on today for over £90.00 inc postage and boots for nearly £220.00 for you to wear 'apres skiing'. What about normal people who want to sling on a pair of boots to go Asda shopping?.

a pair of comfy "apres Asda" slippers would be bliss..!

agree with previous posts about Q being more slick & professional these days, but not necessarily better imo! I actually LIKE them to measure things so I can get an idea of the size - yes, I know the measurements can be found on the website usually (but not always!) but don't want to have to struggle up the stairs and get on the computer to check it out anyway. I suppose everything has to change or else it stagnates, but in a lot of ways I prefer the old Q..I think I've been with them for about 16 years now, but I don't watch as much now as I used to.

Im one of the original members, I remember my first purchase, was a watch that had lots of interchangeable faces, and I bought the pens as well, and a set of loads of make up brushes which I never used, and who can forget the Danton dollies, which was it Jill someone, used to make them walk.

I`ve been with QVC a good few years but not since the beginning, maybe 12 years or so. I can`t recall the first item I ever bought but I still have several pieces of jewellery bought way back then and which have good weights of gold, well made settings and are still going strong. Nowadays the quality is naff for most of it.
Prices went up, quality went down and the presenters became more and more annoying but they call it progress. I beg to differ.

Not been shopping since the beginning, about 12 years for me too.
Ordering is much much better now but quality has gone down, prices gone up a lot, the value isn't anywhere near what it was. I suppose we're now paying for the slicker presenters & fancy studios.
My first buy was a blue topaz & diamond ring in gold for £40, no hollowed out shank either, I still have it. I used to buy a lot of jewellery but haven't done for ages as the quality has plummeted as the prices climbed. I realise the price of metals will have much to do with this.
I don't think it's as much fun to watch now though, push, push, push all the time.

I really miss the fab beauty TSVs there used to be & things like washable leather jackets for under £40.

My first order was in 1997 and I remember it well. I was seduced by the beauty shows - such a new concept and I believed everything Allison Young said. I bought a Gale Hayman cleansing set. What a load of complete rubbish. "It suits all skin types" she trilled! No it did not. Neither did the awful 14ct gold lipstick. That was the start of my relationship with QVC.

The first thing I had from QVC UK was a two tone gold Diamonique ring that I bought via the website after having seen it on TV whilst on holiday in Portugal. We only had terrestrial TV at home then and, although we lived in the States for three years, I rarely watched and never bought a thing - it was much more fun to go "actual" shopping there.

I suppose the recession is to blame for the same old repetitive stuff we get now as no-one can afford to spend on frivolous items like Las Vegas gems etc but who needs that amount of Northern Nights bedding??

It's about 12 years for me too. Wonder if Sky had a promotion that year lol

I can't honestly remember what my first purchase was other than it was jewellery. I know I bought a few bits & bobs for the girls as well.

It's most definitely become more hard sell over the years. I used to be able to sit & watch a whole hour back then. Not any more. It irritates me no end now - the presenters, the same old phrases and dare I say it, the beauty claims.
As for the prices, well they are entering the joke zone as far as I'm concerned. My jaw dropped last night when I peeped in during an ad break to see Alison & Keeley present an Elemis gift set at a staggering price. It's no longer on Q's site so I assume they actually sold it all!

I am one of the original QVC members..who joined, in the days of the mis-matched wooden chairs, chipped edged QVC rulers, and dodgy graphics. Watched Paul Lavers in leotards, Jilly & JR in shoulderpads, and various USA miracle products (who could forget the transform metal into gold solution, and the microwave crisp maker - my 'crisps' set alight as they rotated on their tray - which melted)

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

i've had sky for 20 years but can't remember when i first started watching qvc. don't remember my first purchase either. i used to watch a lot about 15 years ago and found it entertaining and enjoyable. it was much more relaxed and had a far wider variety of products. as others have said the tsc was always good value. i miss molton brown tsvs - always had loads of stuff in them and tova kits - loads of make up and/or skin care/toiletries in kits but most of all i miss believe it or not, the fashion. in those days it was everyday wearable stuff with lots of cotton.

I tried to "reply with quote" to the Zilo post, got the quote up OK, but every time I tried to type it jumped to the Deal Channel!!!! This happened about 10 times before I gave up.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think the Zilo was the biggest "Emporer's new clothes" con I've ever seen. I bought 2 of those large ones in the blue dish, did loads of scientific tests in lots of different situations, and they made no difference whatsoever to odours.

The only thing good about them is that they looked nice, but were very expensiver ornaments.

Latest posts

Back