Ali Y on a Ski-ing Holiday

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I would love to know what her Vitamin D levels are . Excessively low I bet, & if she realised the harm she is doing to herself by not letting her body get some natural sunlight she would not do it !! Most of us in this country suffer from low Vit D as in the winter months the sun is not as effective as it is in the summer months. That why we should all expose ourselves every day in the summer to 20-30 minutes of sun WIHOUT sunscreen on to build up our resources SHOCK HORROR !!! In particlar we should get our arms & legs out because that is how its absorbed through the larger bones in our body.

More & more research is finding that to keep slapping on sunscreen without some minimal exposure to the sun is causing a great deal of harm.

I suspect AY's thyroid condition would improve if she bothered to start doing some self research on her condition.

Last edited:
I would love to know what her Vitamin D levels are . Excessively low I bet, & if she realised the harm she is doing to herself by not letting her body get some natural sunlight she would not do it !! Most of us in this country suffer from low Vit D as in the winter months the sun is not as effective as it is in the summer months. That why we should all expose ourselves every day in the summer to 20-30 minutes of sun WIHOUT sunscreen on SHOCK HORROR !!! In particlar we should get our arms & legs out becuase that is how its absorbed through the larger bones in our body.

More & more research is finding that to keep slapping on sunscreen without some minimal exposure to the sun is causing a great deal of harm.

I suspect AY's thyroid condition would improve if she bothered to start doing some self research on her condition.

You're absolutely right. I've been diagnosed with low Vitamin D by my rheumatology consultant. I have 2 autoimmune diseases - hypothyroidism and Sjogrens Syndrome. The rheumatologist told me that there has been a lot of research in to Vitamin D and its hugely important to our bodies. Also, there is a link between Vit D and autoimmune diseases and lack of it exacerbates it. Yes, we do NEED sunshine. But there is obsession with high factor sunscreens and keeping out of the sun at all costs. The advice I've been given is to keep out of the sun during the hottest hours of the day and never burn, but other than that its good to get some sunshine every day. I've been prescribed a dose of Vitamin D from the hospital pharmacy (Advised that buying them in health food stores is wasting your money as its not effective at all - a pharmaceutical dose of Vitamin D is required) for 2 weeks which will boost my levels.

If Alison Young has hypothyroidism, she could well NEED some pure, unadulterated sunshine.

I thought Alison came over as an utter pathetic wuss to me in the clip, my family has no money whatsoever and have no luxuries in life, let alone skiing holidays!! infact we haven't been able to have any form of holiday or even a day trip since my daughter was 2 and she is 9 this year!!! we can never do anything special over the school hols etc, just "free" plays in the local park and dog walking and believe me with a daughter who is growing up with soooo much pressure from school friends etc it is pretty tough sometimes. So for the sake of a 5 min video clip Alison should have not been such a drama queen and just got on with it. Whether it was all staged for the cameras I'm not sure, as Alison does come across as boring on air sometimes as tho it was genuine, but I do think she should have thought of others who would trade places with her in a heartbeat!!!!! and shown gratitude at the very least, she makes me sick.

Aaaaahh .... grump over .....

ps and if she was simply hungover, then fine, proves there's normality in there somewhere, so easy - just film the clip when feeling brighter

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I've been diagnosed with low Vitamin D by my rheumatology consultant. I have 2 autoimmune diseases - hypothyroidism and Sjogrens Syndrome. The rheumatologist told me that there has been a lot of research in to Vitamin D and its hugely important to our bodies. Also, there is a link between Vit D and autoimmune diseases and lack of it exacerbates it. Yes, we do NEED sunshine. But there is obsession with high factor sunscreens and keeping out of the sun at all costs. The advice I've been given is to keep out of the sun during the hottest hours of the day and never burn, but other than that its good to get some sunshine every day. I've been prescribed a dose of Vitamin D from the hospital pharmacy (Advised that buying them in health food stores is wasting your money as its not effective at all - a pharmaceutical dose of Vitamin D is required) for 2 weeks which will boost my levels.

If Alison Young has hypothyroidism, she could well NEED some pure, unadulterated sunshine.

The sunscreen market is big business. We have all been brainwashed & terrified into believing that if a ray of sun gets on our bodies we will get skin cancer so therefore we must apply sunscreen before we stick our noses out the door. Of course we must be careful & we have all either suffered or seen the results of not protecting our skin by being in the sun for a long time without using protection. However 20-30 minutes several times a week before applying is actually doing your body the world of good & giving it what it needs.

Read articles on Vitamin D & see the advantages of the sun.

I'm not buying that "in the shade because of my skin" lark.

Ali Young not being the centre of attention in a group? Never!
HANGOVER!

Totally agree: a little moderate sun exposure is good for us - vitamin D is so important. Once again, that old adage of 'everything in moderation' holds true. I'll just stick to my usual routine of putting on sun factor cream on my face in the summer, plus wearing a hat and sunglasses if out during the middle of a very sunny day, and exposing my arms and feet (wearing sandals) a bit. I would also sit in the shade in the height of a sunny day as well, to be honest.

People have to be careful about the skin products they use as well, of course: if you are using retinoids in your serums or creams, or if your skincare contains any citrus oils, or if you are using skin peels and microdermabrasion and the like, you HAVE to be avoiding the sun at all costs because of photosensitivity. So, that could be a big part of sun avoidance for some people (and sadly a risk factor for people who unwittingly use such products unaware of the photosensitivity issue). I personally, don't use such products because of the potential for photosensitivity - who needs it?!!

I am so sick of AY making people feel guilty if they have been in the sun as if its a crime to have a tan,we all know the danger of over exposure and I enjoy sitting in the sun for short periods,I just wish she would stay on the Piste.
Lynn

Julia seems pretty sensible in this respect: quite happily admitting she likes the sun, but being careful at the same time.

Latest posts

Back