Amaaaaazing. Y'know. Amaaaaazing. Y'know.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Clearly Nicky has been working with Simon for too long. Every sentence (in the B & W hour) contained amaaaaazing, and every other word was y'know.

I realise people have affectations when speaking, but "y'know" appears to be the most common, and is more noticeable when listening to those on the tele, and then it becomes an obsession to hear the next ... y'know.

I listen to rolling news - a lot, which includes press reviews by various talking heads, and even some of the revered journalists are not averse to repeating the " y'knows" until I'm fit to throwing something at the tv !!!

She was like that years ago when I first watched B&W. I think people who are presenting/public speaking really need to listen to themselves to see just how bad they are - I think we all are guilty to some degree but some are truly awful.

Yes, absolutely, yes is my current hate taking over from so....

I think the parodies from the 1980s and 1990s have become reality.

Do these people never watch or listen to themselves on playback?

I am a regular watcher of the Press Review on Sky News and there is one particular reviewer who drives me to shouting at the tv! She is obviously a very intelligent lady, given her job title, but her way of speaking is so lazy, dropping the ends of words with bad pronunciation and the continual yeahs. I have often thought she needs to listen to herself talking but unfortunately she is just one of many.

When did it become mandatory to end every sentence with an upwards inflection. That really gets on my chesticles

Oh me too! They do one, then immediately followed by another, sounds ridiculous and totally unnecessary. Julia Roberts does this a lot and Jill Franks, trying to be all Americanised.

When did it become mandatory to end every sentence with an upwards inflection. That really gets on my chesticles

I'm going to be nice & wonder whether it's because of regional accents. No, it's an affectation like practically everything else about them.

JR used to do that a lot. She still does when she is particularly full of herself. Most of them are guilty of it sometimes and they sound foolish. They must have been influenced by their teenage directors, producers, floor managers. To be fair to teenagers when my 2 were younger they were never tempted but they had without doubt a lot more sense than the likes of JR.

I am a regular watcher of the Press Review on Sky News and there is one particular reviewer who drives me to shouting at the tv! She is obviously a very intelligent lady, given her job title, but her way of speaking is so lazy, dropping the ends of words with bad pronunciation and the continual yeahs. I have often thought she needs to listen to herself talking but unfortunately she is just one of many.

I know EXACTLY who you mean, and she makes my ears bleed when listening to her. Its Dr Faiza Shaheen with the title of Director of the Centre for Labour and Social Studies. She strangles her vowels, and drops her 't's at the end of words.

The new political editor, Beth someone or other, is a complete stranger to the letter G. Every word ending ing is pronounced in' with the g dropped. And now I am aware of it I can't ignore it!

Fiona Decleor is another one for saying Amaaazing! But Chloe drives me mad when everything she presents is Incredible. Or as she says it, Ink (pause) Redible.

I must admit that I'm guilty of using 'like' as a filler. I've tried killing it off but it's hard.

I also swear. A LOT. It's another habit I've found very hard to break. Picked up with the wrong crowd at school then working with a load of men in a garage with my summer job in my teens, then with my motorbike hobby. Seems to be a man thing with me. I've always been a tomboy and while they all started out being gentlemanly, it soon dropped.

The American teen girl upward infection gets on my chesticles, too. Having spent some time lately with a younger niece and a few of her friends I've learned a few things about myself that's shocked me. One of them being that I don't understand why on earth older men would drop their wives and take up with a late-teen girl (two of my friends have recently divorced due to their husbands apparently losing their minds like this). The other is my lack of tolerance! The way some of these girls talk is annoying enough, what they talk about is even worse. Were we all as bad as that back in the day?

Q's presenters overuse of these words makes me thankful for my Sky box. I can whizz through the yak and no longer have to listen to the oversell/bragging/grandchild crap.

Something else a lot of teenage girls copy from Americans, I've heard it's called vocal fry.
It just makes their voices sound like a creaking door to me.

The Australians use the upward inflection, but that doesn't grate on me. However, British people trying to do the same is a different matter. In my opinion, they just sound 'affected.'

I also find people who use "you know" continuously during a conversation somewhat to off-putting. There was a guy being interviewed on my local radio station yesterday and nearly every sentence was punctuated with "you know." I ended up counting the number of times he said it during the interview and completely ignoring the points that he was making.

The Australians use the upward inflection, but that doesn't grate on me. However, British people trying to do the same is a different matter. In my opinion, they just sound 'affected.'

I also find people who use "you know" continuously during a conversation somewhat to off-putting. There was a guy being interviewed on my local radio station yesterday and nearly every sentence was punctuated with "you know." I ended up counting the number of times he said it during the interview and completely ignoring the points that he was making.

'Affected' is how I described them earlier today."You know/yah no" has always been part of a footballer's vocabulary, I wonder if it's down to a lack of confidence or, in the case of staff on the Q, lack of prearation.

I’ve said this many times before. When I was promoted to a job involving staff training and meetings with clients, I was sent on a Public Speaking course. Not just standing up and speaking, but how to structure the speech or training session in terms of content, relevance to the subject and to the audience, delivery, checking understanding and the grand finale/next steps. In my previous role I had attended a course on writing letters, project plans, bid docs for new business etc.

Only after this self-development was I let loose on clients and groups of staff.

I don’t suggest QVC presenters and guests go to these lengths but they certainly need to become more professional.

I’ve said this many times before. When I was promoted to a job involving staff training and meetings with clients, I was sent on a Public Speaking course. Not just standing up and speaking, but how to structure the speech or training session in terms of content, relevance to the subject and to the audience, delivery, checking understanding and the grand finale/next steps. In my previous role I had attended a course on writing letters, project plans, bid docs for new business etc.

Only after this self-development was I let loose on clients and groups of staff.

I don’t suggest QVC presenters and guests go to these lengths but they certainly need to become more professional.

Exactly. I know we all think of Del-Boy Flint as being more at home down the local market but I think almost all of them should join her these days.

The new political editor, Beth someone or other, is a complete stranger to the letter G. Every word ending ing is pronounced in' with the g dropped. And now I am aware of it I can't ignore it!

Fiona Decleor is another one for saying Amaaazing! But Chloe drives me mad when everything she presents is Incredible. Or as she says it, Ink (pause) Redible.

Ms Everton does everything I can't stand & absolutely nothing I like.

Latest posts

Back