anyone remember "Coty" ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just remembered that I had a brief flirtation with Ysatis by Givernchy when it came out in the late 80s. I loved it and it coincided with me falling love for the first time. Years later when I tried it again I could not bear to wear it as it bought back too many bittersweet memories...

'Heres my Heart' by Avon, which was a solid perfume in a tiny, heart shaped hinged lid pot, first perfume co-incided with my first love.. ahhhhhh.
Now I'm a Chanel No 19 girl!

Oh this takes me back!! I was at boarding school in the seventies and EVERYONE wore Meadowsong (or Meadowpong as it inevitably became known) so just the name brings back so many memories!

I also remember my Gran having a little black bottle with a spatula on her dressing table - I hope it wasn't expensive cos I used to put it everywhere!!

I still love Opium and Anais Anais but my modern fave is Euphoria!

Scent is so inextricably linked to memory centres that one whiff can whisk you to a particular moment - I rather like that!:clapping:

The black bottle sounds like Styx another one my mum had.

Have to say early 00s I used to get samples from Les Senteurs(too expensive now), and got one called Ubar by Amouage. It smelt like the inside of my mum's handbag when I was a child!!!! A strange mix of Park Drive cigs, real hankies, bits of makeup etc, the handbag was a big Kelly style with a clip on top. A sort of spicy oriental and I had to buy it.

Ah yes Donna Les Senteurs! I don't go there often but it is a real treat. I last went there to buy Lipstick Rose and had a wonderful time trying lots of different perfumes. You tell them what you like and they provide you with a selection to try. And if you go in person they don't charge for samples. Or maybe they don't charge as long as you buy something.

The manager's favourite perfume is Lipstick Rose so that might have gone in my favour with the samples.

Does anyone remember two Faberge perfumes called Woodhew and Flambeau? These were my favourites in the 60's along with one called White Fire. That was in a tiny red bottle with a gold pointed lid. Can't remember who made though!

Not really perfume but smells nevertheless.... I have remembered why I love the smell of liz Earle botanical shine shampoo. It reminds me of those children's chewy vitamin c tablets I had in my childhood called Halib Orange. Been bugging me. What with elemis frangipani reminding me of Lipsil, it seems my taste in perfumes is really linked to the smells of my childhood in the 70's and 80's.

White fire in the little red bottle was by Grossmith,it was lovely.I have had no luck trying to find a bottle of the now discontinued Paul Smith London for women,also red bottle. I tried the link suggested by Donna plus countless other online retailers,all out of stock, only 5ml sizes on e-bay which I don't really want. It's so annoying to come across such a lovely perfume only to find you can't get it.

Didn't they do a lovely perfume called "In Love"?

That was made by Hartnell, IIRC.
'Aqua Manda' was by Goya. I loved Aqua Manda as a teenager, and Lush 'Karma' strongly reminds me of it. They did a lemon one called Aqua Citra too, but it was nowhere near as nice.

'Charlie' by Revlon was one which became very popular whilst I was at school (3rd year), everyone reeked of it - I loved it at the time, but God, it was vile really! And 'Moondrops' was another of theirs, equally pungent. Faberge 'Kiku' and 'Xanadu' I also remember (but not with any fondness!)
I liked Coty 'Wild Musk' a lot.
My mum wore Goya 'Gardenia' for years, and still loves a Gardenia fragrance, but now we get it from Jo Malone for her. She also had 'Blue Grass' and 'Memoire Cherie', which were both by Elizabeth Arden - you can still get 'Blue Grass', not sure about the other one.
She wore 'Californian Poppy' and 'Evening in Paris' as a teenager. A couple of years ago the latter was re-launched and I got her some, but it has been re-formulated and apparently nothing like the original. I also got a bottle for the MIL, and she too said it was 'nothing like'.

My first ever perfume - Pretty Peach from Avon, I believe they still make it! And I graduated to Helena Rubenstein's 'Apple Blossom' at age 13 :happy:

Je Reviens by Worth was considered a bit posh in the sixties as I remember . I bought some last year but I don't really think its my cup of tea now . The dark blue bottle in the 1940/50s with the Eiffel Tower screwtop was Evening in Paris (or Soir de Paris ) according to my husband who bought some for his Mum in the 1950s. On my honeymoon in 1969 I bought L'air du Temps on the plane but am not keen on it now. My mother in law used to wear Fidji if anyone remembers that one. I have loved reading this thread as brands that we have long forgotten are being remembered. Saying that I have just remembered Lou Lou which was quite sweet and sickly and
Obsession by Calvin Klein which I thought smelt like fly spray!

What a lovely thread this is. I am up at 4 am feeding my 15 week old baby girl, just finished doing up her "elvis" babygro (why put a collar on a babygro?) and it's got me hoping that one day she will have a memory of me because of a perfume I wore or a bottle on my dressing table. At the moment I have Peace and Love by Juicy Couture, Antonias Flowers and Delice de Fleurs by L'occitaine. When it comes to the important women in my life, my grandma wore Guerlain Misokou. My Nanny wore Elizabeth Arden Blue Grass. My mum- well she liked Youth Dew, but when I was 5 or 6 years old I remember there was always this plain, chunky (or it seemed chunky through the eyes of a child) Bottle that was a lilac-purply colour all over with hardly any writing on it. She said she loved it when she was pregnant with my brother, but after he was born she felt really sorry for the doctor because she thought she smelt wonderful, but once he was born she absolutely hated it! Can anyone guess what it might have been called as she can't remember what the purple bottle was, any yet it is the one I remember on her dressing table when I was of the age when I pinched her make up and ended up looking like Aunt Sally ( she always knew I had been in her make up drawer, I had no idea how- probably because I had moved everything!) But it's that purple bottle that always fascinated me and the memory that lingers on....if any of you know what it might have been please let me know. The shape was rounded, seemed quite tall to a 5 year old, with an opaque finish just like solid purple glass that was probably plastic really. It would have been sold from around 1973-1978.

Great post! "smells" I would love to smell again - I had a bottle of Jovan (not the musk) but it was a summer edition in a yellow bottle I remember buying in boots, it had a lovely summery smell and the nearest I have smelt to it is davidoff coolwater aftershave! I also loved the smell of vanilla fields (yardley) it was only a cheap one but I had many comments about it. Also foxfire from Avon. Going off this thread can anyone remember a nail varnish from Miners the colour was called Beach comber and all the girls at school wore it!

That was another one I wore - the bottle was to die for, gorgeous flat but round, purples, blues,

I am really pleased I started this thread, its really brought some great memories.

I have 4 "smells" from my childhood that I would love to get my hands on again
I had a set of egg shaped soaps bought for me - one was briony rose and I love the smell so much i would never use it, I used to just roll it dry in my hands. I can smell it and feel it now.

i went to germany on an exchange and bought a pencil with a perfume balm in it - apple, it was like a crunchy apple.

The other thing was a body lotion and the smell was tuberose - I remember it being devine

As I hit the age when your parents won't let you go into town but you don't want to be seen with them, I used to take ages wandering around boots looking at all the make - up and smellies. There were nowhere near the amount there is now.
I used to think miners make up was great but Mary Quant make up was scarily bold.
I remember finding a boots scent in a rollerball thing called lemon drench - wow it made you suck in your cheeks - I loved it

Latest posts

Back