anyone remember "Coty" ?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brilliant thread. Perfume is so evocative. My mum always wore Chanel No 5 but I always bought her L'Aimant for birthdays and Christmas! I didn't realise it was poor womens No 5.

I have so many memories of different perfumes - loved Diorella and Femme and countless others. I am often drawn to men's colognes. I remember when I was very young and travelling alone and I bought Eau Sauvage not realising it was a male scent. I loved it anyway. Loved a particular Coty perfume but can't remember the name - don't think it was Imprevu. I think the name was similar to Mitsouku.

Lovely thread anyway. Thanks for the memories.

I had Smitty, Blase (aka ballsy), Cachet and Babe, including a GWP set of make up which was lovely when I was at school. My first purchase on starting work was Geminesse (max factor) also with a lovely set of gwp make up. I watch lots of ebay auctions for vintage geminesse bottles but they sell for silly money and there's no guarantee the contents will be stable and still smell the same so I resist. I wish MF would bring it back even for just a short while. Another fav was Herbessence (helena rubenstein) and then Nino Cerruti (discontinued signature men's fragrance) which I still have a bottle of - an amazing pine fragrance (but not like a toilet disinfectant). I still wear a few men's scents: Chanel (lemony), Obsession (chocolate). Many fragrances cause me migraines including the above if I'm exposed to other triggers at the same time; I can't wear a single Lancome perfume for some reason; many of the virgin Vie/Vie at Home and Soap & Glory toiletries have a scent element that affects me too...wish I knew what it is.

Today I'm wearing Anick Goutal (sp?) Mandragore which is making me feel hungry??? Go figure?

Jude xxx

My mum wore Masumi in the 70s, but I always wanted her to wear the one in an exotic purple bottle (like something from the Arabian Nights) because I liked the shape of the bottle!
She had the cream perfume in Masumi, a little bottle with a dibber in the lid.

Jude xx

isn't perfume wonderful?!! this thread is a pleasure to read.Today I am wearing a L'ocittaine one whose name I can not quite recall it is "orientale" or something like that. Fell in love with it in the store and Ihave been stopped in the street a few times and asked what it is. Needless to say Q never sell it. I do change my fragrances to suit the weather, occasion or my mood. Really really love Prada Iris one (again can't spell it).when I treated myself to it in John Lewis the sales assistant gave me loads of samples, four mini bottles in total. I was very pleased as this is a pricey one!

I was very disappointed with the Liz Earle perfume, loved the smell but it lasted all of 5 minutes on me.

Two other favourites of mine were by Yardley...Reverie and Khadine, how I wish they could all be revived in their original formulations, what a marketing opportunity that would be for a fragrance company,but as Donna points out it's all down to money and using cheapo ingredients these days,and Yardley was taken over years ago.

I remember feeling so sophisticated when I first wore Youth Dew in my early twenties which would have been early 1970's . I also loved Cinnabar by Estee Lauder which was oriental and spicy.
Yup Cinnabar is another EL favourite that I still use, and also Spellbound which I still often wear too. Pefume has always been one of my biggest extravagences and EL is my lasting brand that I keep going back to. :rock:

Always return to Clinique Aromatics Elixir, I love it and have never found anything quite like it. Did try the Liz Earle but used only once as too citrus for me..gave it to my mother who loves it as it is like her favourite O de Lancome...Remember in my teens, the pre-Clinique days, I used to wear Cachet...do they still make it I wonder?

O de Lancome was one pf the first perfumes my mum bought me as I was growing up. I must have been about 15 and I think that she was sick of "Charlie". I also think that the Liz Earle fragrance smells like O de Lancome too and I agree, it is too citrusy for me. I prefer the "churchy" type perfumes. I am wearing a Jo Malone fragrance today; Deep amber and something. Very nice.

Does anyone remember the scents that were all the rage in the 70's like Kiku (yellow container) and Aphrodisia (green). Can't remember the who made them.....

I remember Woolies ( very classy) used to sell Californian Poppy and Midnight in Paris perfumes. Can anyone confirm this or have I just imagined it?I think the Midnight one was in a dark blue bottle and the other had pictures of red poppies(really) on the label.

My husband remembers his mum having a pretty blue perfume bottle on her dressing table when he was little and he is sure that it was called midnight in paris. It's a long time ago though; in the 50's.

Another 'blast from the past' - 'Kiku' by Faberge

It came in bright yellow packaging - I used to love the round plastic talc tub, complete with tassel - though it the height of sophistication !!

Sister used to wear 'Rive Gauche' (Dior??). I used to wear Chanel's Coco but find it too heavy these days.

That's it. Faberge! I had the talc pot too!

I remember Pagan. My mum had a little bottle in her handbag and I used to dab it on. Youth Dew she also wore, it made my neck itch for some reason so I had to apply to my wrists only.

Yes Cinnabar I had it. I remember a book I read about Estee Lauder and she threw a major fit when Opium was released as Cinnabar was about to be released and she was convinced they had stole her fragrance. They had to delay the Cinnabar release and tweak it.

My first proper French perfume was Femme by Rochas(they reformulated it in 1989 and added cumin!!! So it smells totally different now), I managed to get a vintage bottle of the pdt(the older version of edp) and its the one I remember as a teenager.

My first Dior was Dioressence I had to save up for it. Another one reformulated which has changed. LVMH own Guerlain,Dior and Givenchy and discontined loads of their perfumes or reformulated and used cheap ingredients.

The first Guerlain I owned was Shalimar.

Loved Shalimar on other people but it was awful on me. Does anyone remember the film called "The Mephisto Waltz"? The leading lady wore it and it was vital to the story. Scary!!!

Great thread! And lots of great memories and blasts from the past. I'm still racking my brain to remember what I would have worn before I bought YSL Paris but I can't. Oh no hang about ... Sortilege?? That's it!! Thank god for that I thought the old brain was never going to dredge it up!

I didn't like Youth Dew on me. I always wanted to like those heady sexy perfumes but it just isn't me. Youth Dew unfortunately gives me a headache. As did the popular 80s fragrance Fleur Des Fleurs. Nice on other peeps but not on me.

The one perfume I wear that gets more comments than any other is Lipstick Rose and it's both men and women who ask what I'm wearing.

Two other favourites of mine were by Yardley...Reverie and Khadine, how I wish they could all be revived in their original formulations, what a marketing opportunity that would be for a fragrance company,but as Donna points out it's all down to money and using cheapo ingredients these days,and Yardley was taken over years ago.

Khadine! That's purple one I wanted my Mum to switch to...the bottle was "full of Eastern promise" to borrow a phrase but she wore masumi for years!

I love to read about perfumes but can only rarely wear them. I'm also affected by fragrances worn by others...often the wearers can't still smell the perfume they're wearing and think they need to reapply, doesn't the nose get tired of smells in a very short space of time?

Jude xx

haha, when you said Churchy I immediately thought of Byzance, that to me was incence in a bottle! We haven't even started on Lentheric yet.

Yup Cinnabar is another EL favourite that I still use, and also Spellbound which I still often wear too. Pefume has always been one of my biggest extravagences and EL is my lasting brand that I keep going back to. :rock:

Spellbound was the only EL perfume that I truly liked but then a year later (1992 ?) on its release I found my one true love 'Angel' by Thierry Mugler.

20 years later and it's still my signature scent, although I do dabble on occassions, I am loving Guerlains Shalimar Initial at the moment, although, NOTHING compares to Angel imho!

Did you ever find the Poreless Flawless? I've been hunting the web for it for ages. I was in John Lewis today and next to the Philosophy products they had a small catalog of products but the only primer they mentioned was The Present! Wonder if it is being discontinued or if they are not going to sell it in the UK anymore :sad:

no I haven't found it.
I bought my last tube February last year in London, I love it, its a really bright orange in the tube but once its on and settles it really hide the flaws and pores.
I move over the smashbox in the summer and use the dark one when I have a tan.
I can't get that either, thats been discontinued it seems.
I will be gutted if my poreless flawless has been too...............and its looking that way.

I am wearing Calenques today, Trying to use it up, along with the shower gel and body lotion before I go over to my Philosophy Amazing Grace.

I moved from cachet as a teenager to Youth Dew to Cacheral ( my colleagues used to say they knew what phone I had been using because my perfume tainted the plastic) to Jon Paul Guiltier ( I know I have spelt that wrong) to Dune. One of my faves is Alien, I can't smell it one me but I get lots of good comments when I wear it.
My so bought me Be delicious for chrimbo

When I used to wear Youth Dew if you spent over so much ££ you got a huge make up box for a really silly price - I think at first they were free then they started to charge for them but they were only about £15

haha, when you said Churchy I immediately thought of Byzance, that to me was incence in a bottle! We haven't even started on Lentheric yet.

That was another one I wore - the bottle was to die for, gorgeous flat but round, purples, blues,

I am really pleased I started this thread, its really brought some great memories.

I have 4 "smells" from my childhood that I would love to get my hands on again
I had a set of egg shaped soaps bought for me - one was briony rose and I love the smell so much i would never use it, I used to just roll it dry in my hands. I can smell it and feel it now.

i went to germany on an exchange and bought a pencil with a perfume balm in it - apple, it was like a crunchy apple.

The other thing was a body lotion and the smell was tuberose - I remember it being devine

As I hit the age when your parents won't let you go into town but you don't want to be seen with them, I used to take ages wandering around boots looking at all the make - up and smellies. There were nowhere near the amount there is now.
I used to think miners make up was great but Mary Quant make up was scarily bold.
I remember finding a boots scent in a rollerball thing called lemon drench - wow it made you suck in your cheeks - I loved it

I too loved Dune and Elizabeth Arden Sunflowers. I was so disappointed when Clinique discontinued "Simply", it had some similar elements to Dune without that real headiness of Dune.

Youth Dew that takes me back to when I was first nursing. Sister Payne (unfortunate name for a nurse) wore it all the time, you could smell her coming down the corridor

Perfume doesn't agree with me and as God is my witness you have never heard anyone sneeze like Mrs Bates. Everything sets her off. I love but can't wear Joy and I'm sure it's no longer what it was like many other fragrances. Mrs B had a bottle of the pure perfume from the early seventies, black glass with a little red stopper. Always made me think of Audrey Hepburn even though she was associated with the Givenchy label.

Latest posts

Back