Are they Serious? How much?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

'oh the dented cans don't get thrown out, they are chosen for the online click'n'deliver customers'

This is exactly why I won't use online shopping for groceries - I like to know I picked out good quality stuff, not just what was at the front or is damaged! I have an old friend who used to work for another well known supermarket (bright orange bags!) and she said that they were given 7 minutes per customer order, so it was a case of running round the store and just grabbing which ever was easiest to get first. No time to check quality, dates or for damage etc. I often wonder how much stuff gets home to customers and is not fit to use.

As for QVCs meat, everything they sell is overpriced so we shouldn't really be surprised!

We had a Goose given to us for Christmas years ago and it was the worst bird I've ever eaten. It was all bone and not enough meat for our family of five but fortunately I also had a gammon joint cooked so we didn't starve. I can't understand why anyone would pay that price for one it's outrageous.

We had a Goose given to us for Christmas years ago and it was the worst bird I've ever eaten. It was all bone and not enough meat for our family of five but fortunately I also had a gammon joint cooked so we didn't starve. I can't understand why anyone would pay that price for one it's outrageous.

Maybe they gave you a scrawny, runty old duff goose, Betty! Geese always look fat to me. At least, the ones in Hyde Park do.

I love my goose but even I can't argue with the fact that there isn't a massive amount of meat on the bird. You'd need a bi goose to feed a family of five. Or two perhaps.

And they are expensive. But its a once a year treat for us. Its part of our family tradition and my farming heritage. Its easy to grow your own geese. Growing your own turkey means buying them in.

If you are going to cook a goose you need to roast it on a rack and drain the fat off regularly. And I mean regularly, every half an hour or so. You don't need a recipe but I wouldn't recommend putting the stuffing in the bird. Cook it separate. Apple sauce works better than cranberry but whichever you prefer and add some citrus or orange liquer to the gravy. All the other usual trimmings work well. Buy from a butcher and not a supermarket. Or direct from the farm.

But just be aware the leftovers are sparse if there are any.

Never had goose in my life and don't intend to and turkey a handful of times.

When I was growing up (I'm just over 40) we always had a capon for Christmas dinner (I didn't eve know about turkey etc) I grew up and lived for years with my Nana who was born in 1913 so older generation from my Mum born in 1952 and always a capon (castrated rooster apparently). Nowadays we might have chicken or possibly beef.

We always had capon as well, from the local farm. My parents were born 1917/18 so the same generation. I do not think you can get them now, certainly not easily.

We always had capon as well, from the local farm. My parents were born 1917/18 so the same generation. I do not think you can get them now, certainly not easily.

Nope I haven't heard anyone mention them for years and if I do people don't always seem to know what I'm talking about!! (mind you that's not unusual :))

I have such an easy time at Christmas dinner! My children just want a large chicken with all the trimmings I just have a piece of salmon as I haven't eaten beef, port, poultry etc since 1976! I buy the pigs in blankets ready prepared,I put all the prepared veg in the steamer, prepare the roasted spuds and parsnips the day before and so I just whack stuff in the oven periodically ( I do myself a little time list) and then spend loads of time with my kids. Bliss- and the kids always eat every scrap put in front of them!

It also beats me why anyone would want goose for Christmas dinner. As if it's not a stressful enough experience, without the added challenge of cooking a difficult bird about which most people will probably be indifferent at best.

This is exactly why I won't use online shopping for groceries - I like to know I picked out good quality stuff, not just what was at the front or is damaged! I have an old friend who used to work for another well known supermarket (bright orange bags!) and she said that they were given 7 minutes per customer order, so it was a case of running round the store and just grabbing which ever was easiest to get first. No time to check quality, dates or for damage etc. I often wonder how much stuff gets home to customers and is not fit to use.

As for QVCs meat, everything they sell is overpriced so we shouldn't really be surprised!

Couldn't agree more on qvc meat/food/everything prices! In the sat night show they were selling a 3 year old Xmas cd by 'Libera' choir for amazing price of £8 with - wow! - free postage. Had a peek on amazon and it's £3.99!

As for online shopping - am bit shocked by that info! Because of illness/disability I've had no choice but to use online delivery for groceries for many years. And I have to say, with a couple of exceptions, I find it a brilliant service. Tried them all and Ocado was amazing but too expensive as Asda was bit hopeless but now just use The Big T and never had issues with anything damaged or not quality I would choose. They occasionally deliver sushi that needs eating the same day but you can send anything back. Sorry sound like I work for them (I don't!). Mind you my bro's father in law used to be a delivery chap for T and had to leave bc it injured his back v badly :(

My mum suggested we have something different for Christmas last year and there was uproar and everyone insisted we still have turkey and trimmings! And after your descriptions I goose I'm not keen to try it (was vegetarian for 20 years but now eat fish and poultry - think not ready for goose fat!)

I have pet geese and December is always a worrying month. I keep them well out of sight of the road as I would absolutely freak if I lost any of my little gaggle!

Inge :)

I have pet geese and December is always a worrying month. I keep them well out of sight of the road as I would absolutely freak if I lost any of my little gaggle!

Inge :)

It seems it it very expensive to buy a goose. Would you begrudge a poor person one little goose so they could feed their family over Christmas?

Hi Julius,

Nope. I am a meanie! I only have 6 and my eldest is now 16. They all have names, Nina, Fifi, Agneta, Clara, Yana & XsaXsa. They would all be too old, tough and stringy to eat anyway, except XsaXsa who is this year's baby. If I bred them myself, I would have no qualms about eating them though. You can't keep every gosling and what isn't breeding stock has to go somewhere, plus Toulouse geese are delicious - I know that first hand!

Inge xx

now just use The Big T and never had issues with anything damaged or not quality I would choose. They occasionally deliver sushi that needs eating the same day but you can send anything back.

Absolutely agree with you there. Although I could get to the Tesco if I needed to, it would necessitate a bit of a drive. However, the main reason for getting them delivered is that the abject horror of Tesco supermarkets is totally avoided. The crowds, the screaming children, the women with buggies that seat about eleven four-year-olds, the imbeciles on the tills - all avoided. Ok, I might periodically get the old manky item delivered, or something might be unavailable but for the convenience - one of the best things about the internet!

Latest posts

Back