ASA Complaint About QVC and UltraSun

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

i bought some garnier for £6 in sainsburys last year and i still have half a bottle left and you know what i am going to use it this year. apparently the ultrasun can last forever but not the super market brands...

I will never use US again. Much prefer P20 as never burnt with that. Last year both DH & I burnt with US & he has specifically asked that we don't use it again.

Good for the person who complained to the ASA, regardless of the ins and outs of sun protection, it shows that if one person complains in the right way it can make a bit of a difference. I say a bit because we don't know exactly how QVC will change presentation of this, they certainly have gone overboard with the 'never need to reapply' approach.

Btw, I got the Ultrasun factor 50, or was it 30, from another stockist once and hated it, felt so greasy and caused a bad reaction. The face stuff was ok, but nothing exceptional.

I do like Ultrasun, I used P20 awhile ago but it made me itch each time I tried it. I don't sit in the sun ever as I am extremely pale and burn at the drop of a hat but I need a good suncream for walking the dogs and just going from place to place. I was specifically told by a doctor (in a mole clinic - I have some whoppers) that anything higher than SPF 30 is misleading, as Minim explained earlier. I do like the clear as I hate feeling "claggy".

However I think if I hadn't tried Ultrasun before seeing it on QVC I would never have bought it. That woman is dreadful, and as someone said earlier it matters if she misleads someone. Seriously matters. She should never say it only needs one application and she should spell it out that you can't sit in the sun all day. I know there should be some common sense and it frustrates me that everything has to be spelled out in case someone doesn't bother engaging brain, but some people believe what they see on the tv/read in the paper as though it is gospel. My mother being one; I try to explain but she is always adamant that "they wouldn't be allowed to say it if it wasn't true".

I usually switch over on the US shows, but never having heard of the stuff when it first aired, and the spiel that came with it i.e only one application per day - I thought it was some miracle cream the way it was being hyped. So, like everyone else, I thought, regardless of activities during the day, the one application was enough for the day, because Abbie wotsit said so, and that was her mantra all the time - ONCE A DAY !

Be interesting to see how she now gets the message across.

I am very happy with US

Hi folks

I have been really pleased with US.

Once or twice I have applied it a second time during days on holiday when I have been in full sun and wanted to be extra careful, but mostly I only apply it the once.

DH and I went swimming with dolphins in Mexico, we were in the water for almost the whole day. US was brilliant for me ( I did wear a loose T-shirt over my swimsuit), however my macho (stupid!!) DH refused to wear sunscreen that day!! despite my suggestion he do so!!:mysmilie_486:
The only place I had some redness was the top of my thighs, which had been mostly under water and where I had not applied US. Needless to say DH did not fare so well - I nearly bit my tongue in half trying not say "I told you so!!!":mysmilie_11:

US works brilliantly for me - I have fair freckly skin. Before US I would be applying sunscreen many times a day and could still feel the burning.

Hope this helps others.

Lozi

I was misled by it as I thought only one application a day was needed. Luckily I didn't like the price and bought some garnier on offer in superdrug. Hardly used it as the weather here has meant no suncream needed.

Aldi's have their Calypso once a day on special
offer this week £5.49 which I used last year. I
usually burn easily but it worked well
for me and I did not burn. As Burly said (paraphrasing)
only plonkers stay out for hours. Commonsense
goes a long way! I have used Ultra Sun and
it is no better than Calypso but very expensive.

i have never burned with US because i follow the instructions

Following the instructions is always a must, for sure!! But I don't think that should give them free rein and everyone's blessing to lie and/or mislead on the shows.

Also, it is possible to burn when following the instructions on any sun cream if you are very fair, and I speak as someone who has been slathered in factor 50 in medium sun, waited the half hour or whatever, and felt the burn. I now look out for long sleeved cover ups. I agree you'd have to be very oblivious to stay out in sun for long, sadly people are and while it isn't QVC's job to stop this I am not going to cheer them on to exploit it. It would be better if they just said - you might have to reapply this less, or even get away with once in the right circs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally for people engaging on this and I'm always ready to ignore sales advice in favour of the instructions, but generally misleading on health issues can be risky. Not to mention the waste of your money, time and postage etc. if you were relying on accurate information about a product before you get it home. Just the other day they were going on and on about never have to reapply, even after swimming, never - now maybe you're buying for a teenager you can't fully rely on use and that was the selling point.

Last edited:
My first ultra sun purchase was from John Lewis. I followed the instructions and as I don't sit in the sun for hours it was fine for me. I always reapply on my children though.

During the last ultrasun show with dreadful Abby with Will they started saying "up to 8 hours depending on your skin type". I thought something was up as the line has suddenly changed.

I also used to use P20. It worked very well indeed, but be careful using it as it only prevents sun burn by blocking UVB. When I used it it let the UVA rays through and that is how you tan without burning. It's the UVA that reacts with melanin in the skin to change colour. But this causes ageing and worse. As far as I am aware P20 just stops the painful and damaging burns and blistering of the skin caused by too much sun, which can be dangerous and very painful. UVB can cause immediate damage which can put you in hospital. UVA causes long term damage which can put you in hospital.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted, but just in case any readers don't know the difference. Unless P20 has changed the formulation in the last 10 years, it stops the UVB only. I suspect Ultra sun contains the same skin "binding" ingredient that P20 has, but only has a bog standard UVA filter, which is what the daily mail dermatologist must have meant.

The skin binding technology in P20 does work for several hours against sunburn but ONLY if it is applied to clean dry skin with nothing underneath, that you wait for 45 minutes before getting dressed after applying and that you do not rub your skin with a towel after swimming.

That woman who sells US has mislead many people by saying that there was no need to reapply the stuff. I would like to see her again on the screen and see how she will "cover-up"
She used to be on telly almost everyday and has had maximum airing.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted, but just in case any readers don't know the difference. Unless P20 has changed the formulation in the last 10 years, it stops the UVB only. I suspect Ultra sun contains the same skin "binding" ingredient that P20 has, but only has a bog standard UVA filter

P20 changed their formulation about 5 years ago,and protects against UVA and UVB now.Also only have to wait 15 minutes after applying.They also do a p10.
My husband is very fair and uses Piz Buin Once A Day,even works on his bald head which used to burn easily.
Aldi have a once a day on offer this week,Calypso SPF 20 @ £5 49 for 200 mls.It is more like the p20,very liquid with a strong alchahol smell.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted, but just in case any readers don't know the difference. Unless P20 has changed the formulation in the last 10 years, it stops the UVB only. I suspect Ultra sun contains the same skin "binding" ingredient that P20 has, but only has a bog standard UVA filter

P20 changed their formulation about 5 years ago,and protects against UVA and UVB now.Also only have to wait 15 minutes after applying.They also do a p10.
My husband is very fair and uses Piz Buin Once A Day,even works on his bald head which used to burn easily.
Aldi have a once a day on offer this week,Calypso SPF 20 @ £5 49 for 200 mls.It is more like the p20,very liquid with a strong alchahol smell.

sounds good! whats it like with coke?

I also used to use P20. It worked very well indeed, but be careful using it as it only prevents sun burn by blocking UVB. When I used it it let the UVA rays through and that is how you tan without burning. It's the UVA that reacts with melanin in the skin to change colour. But this causes ageing and worse. As far as I am aware P20 just stops the painful and damaging burns and blistering of the skin caused by too much sun, which can be dangerous and very painful. UVB can cause immediate damage which can put you in hospital. UVA causes long term damage which can put you in hospital.

Sorry if I am preaching to the converted, but just in case any readers don't know the difference. Unless P20 has changed the formulation in the last 10 years, it stops the UVB only. I suspect Ultra sun contains the same skin "binding" ingredient that P20 has, but only has a bog standard UVA filter, which is what the daily mail dermatologist must have meant.

The skin binding technology in P20 does work for several hours against sunburn but ONLY if it is applied to clean dry skin with nothing underneath, that you wait for 45 minutes before getting dressed after applying and that you do not rub your skin with a towel after swimming.

It says on P20's website that it stops UVA and UVB but doesn't say what rating or anything. Why on spf20? Why not a P30? I've seen in Costco as well in a 3 pack.. good deal if you like it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back