AY's wrong advice on Ultrasun!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I had similar concerns re: a few areas of uneven skin tone and sun protection. I did use QVC's Alpha H White Gold to good effect but got fed up when it was often not available. What I do now is use Clinique's Dark Spot Corrector ( am and pm ) followed by Boots No 7 Anti-Dark Spot Facial Sun Protection SPF 50+ instead of a moisturiser (am). This really works for me.

I sometimes laugh out loud when I hear these so called beauty experts on QVC. What a load of rubbish they talk and that includes Misses Decleor, Elimis and Gatineau as well as AY. They are only 'experts' on selling expensive products. Slap on a lump of lard it will do just as much good as some of these products.

Hehe..I love reading threads like this, loads of smart women who have seen through the crap! I'm fair with red hair and freckles so according to AY I should never leave the house but if I must, be covered head to toe in Ultrasun (over/under all my seeeerums and presteeeeeejus ingreejunts etc etc). What i do use is a Vit C serum (not from QVC) and Aveeno Spf 30 moisturiser. And that's it. If I'm going to be out out then I'll use Banana Boat spf 30 a few times during the day but otherwise the little bit of sun i get on my arms going to and from the tube during the week is my Vitamin D sun as I like to think of it. We need some exposure to sun, just a little and being careful with it! AY is sunphobic and it's really really boring...

Tx

Having seen first hand skin cancer (not worth a tan!!!!) I do smoother myself with Factor 30 but as RedT states you do need D3. My reckoning is that unless you perfectly time yourself between sunscreen applications there are going to be times in the day when you're not protected & this is when you can top-up on D3.

Having said that as a teenager my tan accelerator of choice was baby-oil was so I've most probably completely knackered my skin.....

I had similar concerns re: a few areas of uneven skin tone and sun protection. I did use QVC's Alpha H White Gold to good effect but got fed up when it was often not available. What I do now is use Clinique's Dark Spot Corrector ( am and pm ) followed by Boots No 7 Anti-Dark Spot Facial Sun Protection SPF 50+ instead of a moisturiser (am). This really works for me.

I am thinking of trying this Mia, it is in stock atm - would you recommend?

I'm a bit of a Miss Priss about sun on my face, I've got some pigmentation from when I lived abroad and don't want it getting any darker. But I don't sit out in the sun, so don't use anything anything on my body apart from decollete (sp) and backs of hands.

Mind you we've had torrential rain here for about a week so not sure why I'm even worrying....:thinking:

Fully agree with the comments about AY and the guests on QVC, but most SA's and even some salon therapists (not saying all!) are just the same, & will say anything to make a sale. I was being flogged overpriced skincare which had no effect whatsoever long before I'd ever watched QVC :taphead:

Sorry Gemster, just seen your question. I would say it does work but in my opinion it is no better than the Clinique product which is always available in the shops, easy to apply and effective. Neither of them works overnight. It is a gradual improvement over a number of weeks. I avoid sitting out in the sun but still use Factor 50+ because just being out and about or even driving exposes us to enough sun to cause problems. Would love to know which one you decide to go for. The Clinique product is more gentle on the skin, I have never experienced the tingling that I sometimes felt with the White Gold.

Sorry Gemster, just seen your question. I would say it does work but in my opinion it is no better than the Clinique product which is always available in the shops, easy to apply and effective. Neither of them works overnight. It is a gradual improvement over a number of weeks. I avoid sitting out in the sun but still use Factor 50+ because just being out and about or even driving exposes us to enough sun to cause problems. Would love to know which one you decide to go for. The Clinique product is more gentle on the skin, I have never experienced the tingling that I sometimes felt with the White Gold.

thanks Mia, I use liquid gold at night without any probs, I might give the white gold a try as hopefully it won't be too harsh for me. I'll e-mail Alpha-H in Oz for some advice though as don't trust a word QVC utter as far as this range is concerned, they'd have you whacking the blimmin lot on and disintegrating your entire facial area...!
I used to use Clinique but it suddenly started giving me spots, that was some years ago though and never tried the dark spot corrector.

I can vouch also for the clinique dark spot corrector serum. I got a 15ml sample a while ago in a free with purchase offer and have been using it underneath their city block spf25 on a recent scar from mole removal, dark patches and spot marks. And I think the marks have faded quite a bit. Never tried alpha H liquids though...

But Cancer Research UK have now come forward and said everyone does need at least 10 minutes sun on their skin a day. Eveyone is so careful to cover themselves and fear of aging we are all getting a lack of Vit D will can also mean you get cancer and more easily ricckets(sp) and brittle bones as you get older.

Latest posts

Back